Topic: Witcher and Witcher II (Using the modified aurora toolset)  (Read 1613 times)

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
Witcher and Witcher II (Using the modified aurora toolset)
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:47:04 pm »
I just picked up the Witcher and liked it although I thought including their construction set was a waste of time. 

The series revolves around a mutated human called Geralt who is specially bred and trained to kill monsters in a rather dark and foreboding world where monsters are fairly common place.  There is a touch of science fiction and modernism in the storyline to go along with the Medieval setting, updated dialogue, and a touch of "cyberpunk" fantasy style.  Plot and game play are in much way similar to Fable but the art work is more realistic, scary.  They used a rewritten an updated version of the NWN1 engine (Aurora) ... the engine runs rather smoothly but of course I loaded all the patches but still makes you wonder why they went to the electron engine when the aurora cs was so easily capable of producing a world every bit as detailed and fine as the electron toolset.

This is strictly a "guy game".  You can't roll up a female character. Plus there are strong sexual themes and content generally siding with every guys fantasy of romping through a series of heric adventuress whilke simultaneously scoring with the local ladies in a series of one nighter style sexual trysts.

:)

Ok I liked it.   The voice acting is almost all English (British) accents and I must say I like those English bar trollips... damn!!!!

But I won't go on.

Geralt himself is voice acted by an Amercian in Jack Webb/Friday monotone.  "just the facts mam".  But not THAT straight, much more sardonic and sarcastic.  Plus Geralt gets pissed of and when he does watch out all hell breaks lose shortly after. 

If your into hack and slash combat this one is for you; lord help me I am.  There is a sort of rythmn  to it somewhat similar to Fable.  Geralt levels up and gains various feats and add ons to his attacks as they become more firce and go through "phases".  You also have to work on different styles of fighting as you level up plus five "spells" which amount to...

"knockdown & stun"
"globe of invulnerability"
"spike growth..traps"
"fire ball...(or similar)"
"mind controlling..stun and domination"

Music and sound are good and the boss fights are all well done and orginal, not repetitive or just a slightly tougher version of the last guy.  Alchemy is essential in this game and at first you are overwhelmed but keep trying you'll get the hang of it and even become quite proficient and easy at it.  There are some potions that are absolutely essentrial like "cat" (darkvision), "swallow" (healing), and blizzard (a super haste potion that allows you to flee or turn and fight for a short time with huge advantages)  NEVER be caught outside a "safe area" without having at least 1 of each in your inventory.

I could go on but that game is old (2007) and they say there is going to be a sequel coming out soon.  Hope so.