Topic: the New Dr. Who  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
the New Dr. Who
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:52:56 pm »
I know some have commented on the new pick for Dr Who being a little moody in his appearance, and in the recent special, the third one I believe until the new series, and last before Christmas, right at the end it shows a hint of maybe the Doctor turning to the REALLY REALLY dark side.

Just a thought that perhaps they are toying with making a "DARK" doctor, instead of his jovial, light hearted, but deep thinking self...instead making one with a grudge who's out to make everyone feel it...and he's not going to fake about being happy, he's just gloomy, moody, and mad...or is that powerhungry.

I won't spoil it since I know many in the States probably haven't seen it, this new one was a little more grim than I'm used to...pretty dark in and of itself...and if they continue down this line of thinking (though the Christmas special preview they also did seems to show him a back to his light hearted self in that portion) it could mean a very moody dark doctor for the new season.

Just some thoughts on what may be coming after seeing this new one.

Thoughts?

And I think I avoided the spoilers even!
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Re: the New Dr. Who
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »
No.. not turning to the "Dark SIde" he was struck by the new of his impending death from the lady on the bus.. that is if you are referring to the episode "Planet of the Dead"...In the Tardis he heard the knocks that were of his impending death (thus the notification of David Tennant leaving Dr. Who after the Christmas special and replaced by a new actor as the Doctor).

I see no Dark Side to the Doctor.

and he's not going to fake about being happy, he's just gloomy, moody, and mad

go back and watch the first and 2nd doctors.

...or is that powerhungry

the Doctor's alter Ego / Nemesis .. the Master.. can't have the Doctor Duplicate him.

Now I would like to see a repeat of the 3 or 4th Doctor personalities.. maybe even the first Doctor with his rudeness :)

"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:20:41 pm »
Bleh, I'm still waiting on Waters of Mars.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:35 pm »
I've seent he rumours, and "Waters"..

You'll see a bit of a darker Doctor towards the end of "Waters", and some of the things that happen because of it.

But we've seen Tennant's dark Doctor before, "Christmas Invasion" and "Runaway Bride" both show glimpses of this, but "Waters" shows more why he needs to have a Companion.  Without that, he loses touch a bit too much, and having survivor's guilt doesn't help.

Think I've said a bit without too much towards spoilers..

But personally, one of my favourite Doctor's was Colin Baker (the Sixth).  I liked seeing that aspect in Tennant from time to time.. and still prefer Eccleston's Doctor because of this.  I do like Tennant in the role, but Eccleston's Doctor caught so much in just thirteen episodes.

He is the Outsider, and he has god-like power.  I don't expect to see the Doctor worrying about taxes, a job, bills.. and we've seen what happens when he's put in that situation (Blink).  He doesn't do it really.  I do expect to see survivor guilt, I do expect the Doctor to do things that people might not like, to break things that need to be broken because it's better for so many more people than just Earth in 2009.. it's better for Earth in 2159, and farther down the road.  So seeing a darker Doctor, great!  I just am hoping that Smith can carry off the role.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Smith take Earth and knock it into the next galaxy in order to defeat the Daleks.  I wouldn't mind seeing Smith saying,"Sorry, but I need to redirect this plasma stream to the Earth to sterilize the planet to defeat this threat.  We can rebuild it from other stock".

A darker Doctor?!  Can hardly wait.  :D
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »
Yes, the last one was pretty darn dark, it probably is why the Doctor needs a companion.  You did give off some significant hints of what happens.  It could be interesting if he doesn't get one at first though and goes totally dark...I don't think they've ever truly investigated what would happen if the Doctor went off the dark end...aka...such as in the Master...at least for a little while with the past four or five doctors (I think they may have done it with him earlier...but I'm not completely up on my Dr. Who history).

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 12:04:13 pm »
I just watched the Waters episode..

The Doctor just realized his power over time. I didn't see any darkness pan out.

I'm currious to see how this plays out.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:14:54 pm by Cptn_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 12:09:22 pm »
I'm going to watch the sneak peak into the Christmas special 2009 now to see if my guess is correct or not..

Never know with those pesky writers.

Edit : Not going in the direction I thought it would.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 01:51:58 pm »
Just saw the Christmas special, it looked at first as if this would be a tragic one, but the lead up to the climax and the climax itself along with the cliffhanger makes me believe it will be much happier and perhaps the conclusion of a storyline that's been in the running since season one!

I suppose it left hints of it in the last special which I didn't notice, but this one left no doubt about it.  Interesting take of the narrator, I never thought James Bond (I believe he played one of them) would be in that role, but it fits...surprisingly from what I saw, very well.

I hate this cliffhanger though, I have to wait a WEEK! to see the conclusion!

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 01:26:58 am »
That surprised me as well seeing that guy. Not giving away spoilers, but it seems like there are a lot less dead people then we first thought.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:38:13 pm »
Sort of going in the direction I thought it would.. I thought the DR would go back and sacrafice himself to save Gallifrey from destroying itself in the war vs the Daleks..

Now the battle is vs the Master, yet since it is dealing with the unraveling of time and distortion of the time line.. maybe Gallifrey can be saved in a different manner.. if not, at least some of the time lords.

looking forward to part II tomorrow.

Happy New Year.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 12:25:21 pm »
Was pretty good.

As for the new doctor, I don't see darker. I see idiot suffering from the same Syndrome that Hollywood did to Lois Lane in the last superman movie. Her giving birth to a kid a 13. Way to young, doesn't know his sex, and looks like a damn hippy.

Oh well, time will tell.

Stephen

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 02:44:24 pm »
Whew!  Part II was pretty dumb.  The Planet Express ship with WWII style laser gunpods.  Ugh.  Only one interesting thing that really happened in the entire episode concerns the origins of the Master.  People more familiar with the show can chime in here but there seemed to be a bit of retconning here as concerns the Time Lords.

Be that as it may, I haven't really watched the show since Rose left.  Nothing I saw here made me want to watch the show again.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:48:35 pm »
Hmm, it was interesting in that I thought those who were the bad guys were the good guys...without saying too much more.  Part 1 though was better, with that cliffhanger and all.

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
LOL @ planet express quip.

Rose was in a few real good episodes after she left the doctor.

Stephen

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 04:27:39 pm »
Well.. as for the Master.. the Childhood history is only coming out with the new series since (Post Dr. Who movie)

In previous episodes under the classic doctors like Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davis, Colin Baker, Sylvester Mccoy, Paul McGann... The Master seems to be a bitter Rival that fell out of grace with the Time Lords by something the Doctor did to bring the evidence to light.. IIRC a plot to overthrow the government of Gallifrey and take control of the Timelords himself.. The Doctor thwarted this plot, the master was exiled / sentenced to death (combined to read as to die in exile never to return to his home world alive, lest the time lords execute him upon his return).. Thus causing the undying need to get revenge on the Doctor.

After all the Doctor was Gallifrey's best and brightest.. though slacked off academically.. he was basically their 'Chosen One' whom was destined to lead Gallifrey (see the 5 Doctors.. The Doctor is suppose to be president but keep running from the post.. Romona (Doctor Who with Tom Baker) eventually becomes the next president of Gallifrey during one of the Time Wars.

The Time war History :

The conflict was between the Time Lords and the Daleks, resulting in their mutual destruction, which the series suggests was caused by the Doctor himself. The Doctor also referred to this conflict as "the last great Time War," implying that there had been others, but it is also implied in various media that all traces of the several earlier Time Wars have been removed from history. Lasting thirty thousand years, it is fought between the Time Lords and other races that are developing time travel. The Time Lords destroy one such race, the Charon, before they even exist. The origins of the Time War dated back to 'Genesis of the Daleks' (1975 - Tom Baker) where the Time Lords send the Fourth Doctor into the past in an attempt to avert the Daleks' creation, or affect their development to make them less aggressive.This war takes place a generation after the time of Rassilon (as in after Rasalon's last regeneration.. as in being utterly dead), the founder of Time Lord society. The Doctor was responsible for destroying both the Dalek fleet and his home planet Gallifrey, after the Dalek Emperor gained control of the Cruciform. It is also stated that the whole of the Time War was "time-locked", so that no time traveler could go back into it, which explains why the Doctor cannot go back in time and undo his destruction of the Time Lords within the war (although Dalek Caan is able to circumvent this, albeit accidentally, and rescue Davros, at the cost of his sanity).

So Rasalon was dead a Generation WHILE Tom Baker was in the past a Generation after Rasalon died.. As such, Rasalon being alive with the Daleks destroyed ships on Gallifrey's surface and the time war going on.. that is the break in continuity.

So now.. not only did the Master get Ressurrected, but it seems that Rassalon got resurrected as well during the last years of the Time War and the Doctor had to destroy both the Time Lords and the Daleks.

Rassilon himself, founder of the Time Lord Society and co-creator of the civilization's time travel technology, returned from the apparent grave to lead his people as the Time Lord President. Rassilon's rule would ultimately see a fundamental change in the war and the Time Lords themselves, as Rassilon's refusal to die or allow the Time Lords civilization he created be destroyed led the Rassilon to prepare a doomsday scenario where he would sacrifice all of time itself; past, present, and future, as part of a genocidal scheme to destroy the Daleks (and all life in the universe) to transform Time Lords into a collective consciousness that would be the only sentient form of life in existence. This mad scheme would ultimately attract the attention of the Doctor himself, who by this point had discovered a way to end the war at the horrific cost of destroying both the Daleks and the Time Lords. By this point, the entire period of war had become "time locked" (meaning no Time Travel was allowed in or out) due to excessive use of temporal warfare, as Rassilon and his council discovered a way to escape the Time Lock as Gallifrey was attacked by its many enemies. In the end, they manipulated the Master by planting a four note drumbeat (the beating of a Time Lord's heart) into his brain and used a White Diamond only found on Gallifrey to create a link between the final hours of the Time War and bring Gallifrey, the Time Lords, and the host of horrors laying seige to the planet, outside the Time Lock and into the present. This plan ultimately failed though as the Doctor destroyed the diamond link, sending Rassilon and the Time Lords back to their apparent doom, with the Master seemingly sacrificing his life (his true fate remains unclear) to ensure Rassilon would not be able to get revenge upon the Doctor.

Got to love the Time War for Continuity errors ...

The Time War also provides a convenient in-story explanation for any contradictions in series continuity: for example, writer Paul Cornell has suggested that Earth's destruction by an expanding sun in "The End of the World" five billion years hence, as opposed to the original depiction of its demise around the year 10,000,000 AD (The Ark, 1966) can be attributed to changes in history due to the War.

Anyhow.. Love the Old series.. the new series is OK.. but they need to slow it down and make it more like the old series where 1 storyline takes 2 -3 or even 6 weeks to complete.. Remember Tom Baker episodes like Legopolis.. 6 parter.. took 6 weeks to see the end of Tom Baker and the beginning of Peter Davis.

Anyhoo.. in this world today.. cram and rush plot lines.. making crappy stories covered with fast pace and action scenes.. wish it was more intellectual like the classic Doctor Who.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:09:08 pm by Cptn_Pestalence_XC »

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 12:21:09 am »
An episode that ties in with what Pesty mentioned, is Tom Bakers 1974 Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks.

Stephen

edit: of course we also get Karen Gillan as the new companion ---> for vid links  http://www.karengillan.net/