Topic: OT> why all the hate for the Trek 11?  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: OT> why all the hate for the Trek 11?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 12:44:37 am »
Roddenbery also had men running around in skirts.

What do you have against the Scots?

I think that you'll have to agree that this is completely different from traditional ethnic garb.

Not in the land of cross dressing Pacific Islanders.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 07:58:48 am »

I think that with that Roddenberry was challenging peoples perceptions.  Just because western culture currently has a bias against men in skirts doesn't make it a permanent thing.  In past centuries men wore ruffles that if worn now would be seen as just as strange as a skirt.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »

I think that with that Roddenberry was challenging peoples perceptions.  Just because western culture currently has a bias against men in skirts doesn't make it a permanent thing.  In past centuries men wore ruffles that if worn now would be seen as just as strange as a skirt.

From what I've read, the men in skirts thing was based on the concept of total gender equality in the 24th century.  Since men and women were complete equals, it wouldn't be too uncommon for men to wear women's clothing.  I personally think it was a stupid idea.