Topic: First Contact  (Read 3972 times)

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
First Contact
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:36:46 pm »
Ok something came to me while im watching it again, Picard wanted to protect the timeline so after he destroyed the sphere why not get sheilds back online and time warp say an hour ahead of when the sphere appears and blow it up as it comes out? This would make more sense to me at least, as no changes in the timeline would have occured minus an explosion in space.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: First Contact
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:47:06 pm »
They assumed you paid to see an entire movie, not fifteen minutes of one.  ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:56:32 pm »
They were not even sure they could use the Borg method of time travel to return to their future let alone to a different time that they didn't have reading on a "vortex" for. 

Presumably they are not aware of Spocks slingshot around a star method.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:32:02 pm »
Even if they are aware of slingshoting, its not entirely precise.  Spock had to guess in STIV, and happened to get lucky.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:42:54 pm »
In ST IV he was working with a ship whose detailed specifications were unknown and whose condition (battle damaged) was not ideal.  Also his own mind was in "less than perfect" shape as he was still regaining his personal knowledge and experience which would include the "slingshot theory" and experiences.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:25:07 pm »
agreed, when Enterprise intentionally went back in time it was done with precision, so Picard could have slingshoted around the sun and stopped the borg, yes granted we paid for a movie but common sense also should have an effect

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 05:35:18 pm »
In ST IV he was working with a ship whose detailed specifications were unknown and whose condition (battle damaged) was not ideal.  Also his own mind was in "less than perfect" shape as he was still regaining his personal knowledge and experience which would include the "slingshot theory" and experiences.

But Spock was also a scientific genius the galaxy has not seen since...obviously.

Even Data couldn't truly compare...

Heck Spock beat a real world Kobayashi Maru (ST II) (No win scenario which he chose the life of the individual to sacrifice over that of the crew) and even managed to come back to life!
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 06:11:44 pm »
i wouldnt say spock is smarter than data, spock was never shown beating a 2nd level grand master at stratagium :P

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 06:14:35 pm »
i wouldnt say spock is smarter than data, spock was never shown beating a 2nd level grand master at stratagium :P

Data would never beat Kirk at fizzbin though.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 06:24:27 pm »
no one could beat kirk at fizzbin we both know that :P

I think some of us Trekkies need a life

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 06:35:44 pm »
no one could beat kirk at fizzbin we both know that :P

I think some of us Trekkies need a life

Kor could.  A disruptor beats any other fizzbin hand.

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:10 pm »
There was a deleted scene where they were going to do just that but just then realized that there were two dozen borg already aboard the ship.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:39:18 am »
It was the way the writers intended it to be but those TNG writers were never quite as good as those in TMP/TOS.What do you expect as the TNG films never made it up to the quality of standards as those prior.The writers were tv writer not motion picture writers.

I am not a Trekkie and Trekker yes.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:59 am »
Considering the script writers didn't understand that Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri was unlikely to be building his first warp ship in Montana it isn't surprising that they forgot that Starships could function as Time Ships too.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:35:18 am »
Considering how long it would take to reach even a close star system like alpha centuri without warp drive, it can be assumed that Cochrane built the first warp ship on earth and emigrated to alpha centuri later.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51:19 am »
Alternately Cochrane is of Alpha Centauri.  He could be of a human appearing race (like the many of Trek).  He could also be descended from Earthmen taken there by the Preservers.

Given that Kirk still has memorized the U.S. Constitution preamble I doubt that he would refer to Cochrane as being of Alpha Centauri if he could refer to him legitimately as being American. 

Khans ship managed to get a long way by Kirks time.  It must have been doing a significant fraction of light speed.  25% of C gets a ship launched in 2000 to Alpha by 2018.  Enough time for Cochrane to have been born there (2030 according to TOS) if a colonist.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:02 am »
maybe he came back from Alpha C to build it in Bozeman montana lol

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 04:34:44 pm »
maybe he came back from Alpha C to build it in Bozeman montana lol

Back in 2005 I made a joke post about a new Trek series.  Part of it had Cochrane going to Alpha Centauri as an infant and returning to Earth as an adult in his first attempt at warp travel.  His arrival causes WWIII and he ends up in Montana.  It also explains his being too old in First Contact.