Topic: Champions Online  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Champions Online
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:44:17 pm »
(this is not a review, just my intial impressions)

I've been playing the beta for about a week now, its quite enjoyable thus far.  Its actually quite polished and i've found very few bugs, none of them show stoping.  For anyone interested, the beta has been opened up to the public for this weekend only, so if you want to check it out, follow the link below

http://www.champions-online.com/node/173002
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Re: Champions Online
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »
Glad to see someone not taking a dump on Cryptic for the quality of an open beta.  There have certainly been some problems with patching but nearly as I can tell that has everything to do with the FilePlanet version of the open beta.  Glad you are enjoying it.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »
I've been keeping an eye on this since I found out Cryptic was doing it.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline GQMarkDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:13:00 am »
Not an MMO fan here but I downloaded the beta to make characters that is fun but the game after that meh.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »
Well the end of beta event is going on, for those interested it has been extended to 5pm on the 25th.  Here are few screenies, one of which has a dead Cryptonaught in it (crptic gm ;))
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:51:01 pm »
That cell-shading cartoon apearance will take some getting used to.

How was the game play Rob? and when does it launch?

Might have to try it out if it's soon.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 07:29:14 pm »
game play was good, definatly alot of content (though like any mmo, there is a little bit of a grind).  Lots of character customizations, lots of parts, lots of control on the shape of the body.  You can also mix and match powers pretty effectively.  Combat isn't as satisfying as Age of Conan (that required a bit o skill) but is good enough for the most part. 

Only problem right now is PvP is totaly unbalanced.  They are taking the view that PvE balance comes before PvP balance, and as such there isn't as much emphasis (wish you could find a publisher that would treat both as important)

I'll be starting the Head Start tommorrow, with the game going live on the first :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:31:28 pm »
o and i would exactly call it cell shading its just an outline from what i can tell... you can disable that and make it more 'realistic' if you want.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:35:59 pm »
I'm a bit bummed that making this an MMO will prevent them from ever releasing it like NWN with DM Tools - I mean this game was originally released tabletop as the equivalent of D&D for super hero's - and it made me forget all about D&D back in the day.

(In fact my weekly meet-up group met right next to an SFC meet up group in the 80's thus sparking my love affair with SFC as well)

Maybe if this is a sucess they can spin it off in a NWN like format.

I know the NWN format didn't work perfectly but I think that was more about being ahead of it's time - and not making user friendly enough tools for the DM's.

Anyone here have any good success DM'ing in NWN or NWN2?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »
Well there is some legal battles going on right now between Atari and those guys who Made D&D Online.

Seems Atari talked them into going Free, but behind the scenes, did so to kind of lower interest in DDO. Why you ask? to make the NWN MMO.

You'll have to do a google search, But the DDO guys have sued Atari over this.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:00 pm »
Well there is some legal battles going on right now between Atari and those guys who Made D&D Online.

Seems Atari talked them into going Free, but behind the scenes, did so to kind of lower interest in DDO. Why you ask? to make the NWN MMO.

You'll have to do a google search, But the DDO guys have sued Atari over this.

Stephen

While I would love a NWN as an MMO if it was free to play like Guild Wars.  I'm not sure how making DDO free to play would lower interest.  I actually thought about playing DDO for about 1/2 a second because it was free to play sort of.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »
Oh I did also. I might still do it.

about a year ago, a friend of mine Mike, wanted me to get into it with him, so I tried the trial.

Things went bad from there.

First you had to register to even start the trial. Ok , normaly not a problem.

However the timer started then. Ony sat con, and only downloading at night, I would have 2 days to actually try it.

Then once I did DL it, It was corrupt. I said forget it at that point.

anyways, I think the main thing with DDO, is they claim Atari pulled advertising and the push for the game when they went free, at Ataris request. Now if it is for the NwN mmorpg or not is unknown.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

Stephen

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:58:15 am »
CO is having another free weekend, starting this thursday going to 10am PST on monday

http://champions-online.com/node/594738
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:59:44 pm »
Played for some time on the free weekend. Can't say that I really understood what I was doing especially regarding things I could equip.  I was using first person shooter type controls while using a 360 controller and found targeting to be pretty tough.  Fumbled through the tutorial.  Went to Canada and was getting my butt handed to me by zombies and ice things.  Decided this isn't fun enough for me to care to find out what I was doing wrong.  Might try to play it again but having 3 or 4 enemies mashed up against you while you are trying to spam powers is kind of dumb.  Perhaps I just need to move and block more.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 04:16:06 pm »
Played for some time on the free weekend. Can't say that I really understood what I was doing especially regarding things I could equip.  I was using first person shooter type controls while using a 360 controller and found targeting to be pretty tough.  Fumbled through the tutorial.  Went to Canada and was getting my butt handed to me by zombies and ice things.  Decided this isn't fun enough for me to care to find out what I was doing wrong.  Might try to play it again but having 3 or 4 enemies mashed up against you while you are trying to spam powers is kind of dumb.  Perhaps I just need to move and block more.

move and block is one thing yes.  That was probably also the result of one of the early patches (something that has been rolled back a bit) where the henchies would go and grab reinforcements every time.  Thats been toned down and its more random when they do that (and doesn't occur all that often)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"