Topic: The New Star Trek Movie  (Read 7178 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
The New Star Trek Movie
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:11:01 pm »
I came back to tell you about it.

Yeah it's that awesome.

Go see it.
'Nuff said.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: The New Star Trek Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:55:43 pm »
Hehe, looking forward to it.

I have been wanting some backstory with George Kirk on film for years now, well ever since he was in the books.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:17:44 am »
I wanna see how Chris Pine does Kirk. All the trailer pics I've seen of him are encouraging so far.

Might go see it tomorrow with a bunch of friends. I don't expect to be disappointed :D

Offline SSCF-Patterson

• CnC SSCF
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:52:22 am »
This is from the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/630948

Thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 02:10:00 pm »
If you want to see it, go.. and enjoy the experience.

If you want to stay home and wring your hands about nacelle shapes and such, stay..and enjoy the experience.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
  • Sfc3files Dept Site Admin
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:34:07 pm »
The ship is ugly, but the movie is awesome... I love the references they had the characters do from previous movies, namely movie VI with Spock's analysis of the situation. 

<SPOILER ALERT>The fact that the characters acknowledge that they are in an alternate/parallel time line justifies this reboot in my opinion.</SPOILER>

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 11:11:35 am »
It's a good movie, not great but good.  I may actually go see it again, which I almost never do for any movie in theaters.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »
The ship is ugly, but the movie is awesome... I love the references they had the characters do from previous movies, namely movie VI with Spock's analysis of the situation. 

<SPOILER ALERT>The fact that the characters acknowledge that they are in an alternate/parallel time line justifies this reboot in my opinion.</SPOILER>

Yeah, that's their saving grace.  If it fails (which since they already green lit the sequel prior to this ones release, I don't think they were really questioning it by the time it was done) they had an out.  It also makes it so that the average Trek fan should be able to enjoy it, but the fear comes with the fact that with success this reality could replace the previous one and many wouldn't want that.  Sort of like a main character waking up and realizing it's all a been a dream.  Fans have invested a lot, and if it's all wiped away in favor of a new reality... that's a scary thing for a lot of people. I just wonder, when will all the time travelling/alternate dimension stuff end and we can get on with having a timeline we can believe in?  It's all fun for an episode or two, but all the time?    Just seems a bit much to me.  Still, I do plan on seeing it at some point, and have no doubt it will be done well for what it is (if only they'd find that reality where the Romulans didn't have those rediculous forheads).

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 03:36:32 pm »
Saw it yesterday...

I want more!

I like this new direction of Trek, a return to action and adventure.

Heh, and I wonder if anyone's gonna model the new fleet of ships we saw in the movie :D

I gotta admit, I was hesitant on the new Enterprise design but it's kinda grown on me. The Kelvin I liked too.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »

(if only they'd find that reality where the Romulans didn't have those rediculous forheads).

You'll like this movie.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 04:49:13 pm »
HEXX!!!!!

Where the hell you been you been! ;D

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 11:17:37 pm »
I saw this movie twice today.   it was fricking incredible, if it was a chick I'd give a a ruffie and f*ck her.

Now if only there's enough interest in Trek for a new SFC title to get some funding . . .
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Kruk

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 11:25:30 pm »
Just saw the movie tonight. I had high expectations for this one and to be honest, it exceeded them. I had more fun watching this movie then SW3 Revenge of the sith.

The effects and lighting was spectacular, the story was very good and the acting and dialog was fantastic. Something that SW3 was lacking. I'll definatly go see it again.

When they played the end credit song (which is the music of the 60's original series)that was the icing on the cake.

The whole movie really felt like I was watching a new episode of the original series with up to date special effects etc... Kudos to Abrams and the new actors. A job well done.

Regarding the head of the Romulans, I suggest you buy or read the comic book. It's explained in there.

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 12:14:39 am »
Regarding the head of the Romulans, I suggest you buy or read the comic book. It's explained in there.

Um I'm a little to old for comic books. Now get the hell off my Grass.  ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 01:13:23 pm »
It was pretty damned good.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 08:56:11 pm »
Saw thie movie this morning after work......WOW!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I thought that it was very well done. Just a few of my thoughts

1. Roms with drones....... and MIRVS  :o

2. Now I never saw that Love Intrest coming  :smitten:

3. For Some reason that Red Shirt with Kirk and Sulu reminded me of 'Kill Crazy" from Red Dwarf  :D

4. I think they need to tone down Scotty just a little bit. :rwoot:

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline Wraith 413

• Lt.
  • Alliance Trooper
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
 Saw it with the wife today. We both liked it a lot.  Definitely worth the price of the ticket.

Offline Tophat

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 11:24:55 am »

Was biased against it,saw it,liked it. Then went back for midnight showing to see it again,best Trek movie of the lot in my book.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 12:42:18 am »
I was hopeful, and I enjoyed it.  It was a good action flick, but I think that's about it.  It was original, but yet, not.  I'm torn about the future of this though.  It's very clear now that the series and movies I grew up with and continue to enjoy are over forever.  Voyager I could do without, but it's sad to know that there will be no continuation of the series I miss so much. 

It's very bittersweet.  Maybe too bitter.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

KnightAdvancer

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:01 am »
A lot of good Romulan material in the movie and comic book (Star Trek: Countdown) that us green bloods have been craving for a long time. A bit about the new Romulan look:

"There was a tradition on Romulus that when a loved one died you would paint your grief upon your skin. Ancient symbols of love and loss. In time the paint would fade, and with it the period of mourning. Life would go on. We paint these symbols on our skin now. But we burn them deep. So that they will never fade. Because life does not go on. We died with our friends. We died with our families. We died with Romulus. And all that is left is revenge."

Wish I could get Sethan's take on all this. But take note you filthy Klingon dogs: watch the movie and take note on the proper way to carry out acts of retribution!  ;D