Topic: Eddie Murphy as the Riddler? Rumors Fly Over 'Batman 3'  (Read 2334 times)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
Eddie Murphy as the Riddler? Rumors Fly Over 'Batman 3'
« on: December 18, 2008, 06:29:34 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469305,00.html

Eddie Murphy as the Riddler? Rumors Fly Over 'Batman 3'

Thursday , December 18, 2008

As Oscar buzz swirls around “The Dark Knight,” gossip over the caped crusader’s next big screen adventure has graced the pages of the British tabloids, with some unlikely candidates rumored to fill some classic roles.

The U.K.’s Sun newspaper reports that veteran funnyman Eddie Murphy has reportedly been selected to become the Riddler, although it was widely speculated that “Pirates of the Caribbean” star Johnny Depp was up for the green-clad madman.

However, Murphy's rep told Access Hollywood the rumors are, "not true."

Murphy’s career has faltered recently, with “Norbit” and “Meet Dave” flopping at the box office. If the U.K. rumors are true, it could be the shot of adrenaline that Murphy needs.

Other actors rumored to be joining Christian Bale and Michael Caine in Christopher Nolan’s next Batman film are Shia LeBeouf as loyal sidekick Robin and Rachel Weisz as the Catwoman.

It may also be a good time to resurrect early reports of Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

While Batman usually gets top-billing and most of the credit in Gotham City, there’s a particular attraction to the hero’s gallery of villains. Most recently, Heath Ledger’s dark interpretation of the Joker has led to demand for a posthumous Oscar. Just don’t remind Jack Nicholson.

I see Depp doing a good job, but I'm not sure about Eddie. although I didn't see ledger as the Joker and he did an outstanding job. I would like them to wait a bit more before they bring in Robin. I think there could be a good number of stories for this Batman before the bring in a sidekick.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Eddie Murphy as the Riddler? Rumors Fly Over 'Batman 3'
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:33:53 pm »
Nolan has previously stated that he has no intention of casting Robin

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
Might as well throw Clooney back in the suit if they're just going to start recycling A-listers for new parts. Shia LeBeouf & Eddie Murphy c'mon.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:43:52 pm »
Might as well throw Clooney back in the suit if they're just going to start recycling A-listers for new parts. Shia LeBeouf & Eddie Murphy c'mon.

To be fair, I won't reject any casting choices simply because they are "A-listers."  I knew a few people who felt that Heath Ledger would be a horrible Joker, and were bellyaching about Nolan selling out.  He was definitely brilliant in the role.  That said I do agree that Murphy would be a horrible Riddler.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:26 pm »
Murphy for me would be like a repeat of Arnold as Freeze, infinitely wrong for the role. Tommy Lee Jones as Pimp Daddy Two-Face ::)

Worst part of The Dark Knight was they killed Aaron Eckhart's Dent which was pure gold as a Two-Face you could sympathize with.

It seems the whole rumor was squashed quickly though...

http://screenrant.com/batman-rumours-eddie-murphy-riddler-shia-labeouf-robin-ross-4673/

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/10194/tcid/1

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:08:08 pm by Vipre »
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:59:30 pm »
I think he would be worse then Arnold as Mr. Freeze.  Personally, I'd like to see the Ventriloquist as a villain.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:22 pm »
They seem to have this idea that the Riddler is supposed to be zany.  I prefer him frightfully intelligent and too cerebral for his own good.  If I thought Murphy could pull that off, I'd be all for it, but I've never seen him act in that fashion.

Rachel Weisz as Catwoman...that I could...see...yeah...gawd.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:16:39 pm »
They seem to have this idea that the Riddler is supposed to be zany.  I prefer him frightfully intelligent and too cerebral for his own good. 

I agree.  Personally I wish they'd go with some villains that haven't been portrayed in live action before like they did in the first film.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:43:37 am »
Indeed.  And honestly, I wish they'd give poor, messed up Professor Crane his own film.  The Scarecrow, as the dominant bad guy and done well, could be very cool.

Though, come to think of it, I do sort of wish Nolan would give Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy a go.  Seems a shame that the only movie we got to see them live in was...pretty horrible.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »
I wish they had given Victor Zsasz a bigger role in the story.  He's such a cool psycho.