MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 07:22:30 am »
I will be grabbing it this week. Man I loved the older ones.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:30:55 pm »
I've lost my freetime to this game....
The only issue I have is that it is so open ended you can find certain people too soon, and the story jumps ahead.. leaving you a little confused.

But, a reload and the problem is solved.. I swear I could wander the wasteland for weeks and find something new... I can't wait for new content, or for the modders to crack the system. ( it's similar to Oblivion and morrorwind )

The game is so good ( in my view ), that it actually brought my brother back to PC gaming.
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:28:47 pm »
I am loving it myself. I played it for about 10 hours last night, and It just keeps getting better. The V.A.T.S. system allows you to enjoy the old style fallout, but the Oblivion style free roaming is outstanding.

You also have to think through your perks, and skills, which I like. If not carefull, a horde of ants or a single Deathclaw will take you out. Best game I have played this year.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:08:56 am »
Just heard that elder scrolls V is in the works. I wonder if IT will Involve Grognak?

Grognak will crush his enemies, see them driven before him, and hear the lamentation of the women.

Stephen

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:27:48 am »
Awesome game!!!!
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:23:16 pm »
Got a big kick out of Sarah Palin at the store in Megaton. 

This game is highly recommended.  Endless fun.

Spoilers, ... but if ya get stuck ..............  http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fallout_3_quests  and http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_map
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:17:30 pm by Musashi NCC-BR549 »
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »
And now the DLC is announced, and of course, Bethseda is releaseing the modding tools.... Which now makes this game an almost permanent place on my HDD
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:49 pm »
Got this for X-mas. Here are my thought FWIW.

The main plot is WAY too short as in it's easy to get stuck at the final mission without having seen 90% of the game if you aren't careful. My first character had that as a huge problem lvl 14 and here I am at the end sequence! They should have either had it so you can freeplay after the game is done, had a longer main quest, tied in more areas or at least warned you that you were at the end of the game!

The ending itself was a huge letdown, "You just saved the world... here's a Certificate of Participation and a $5 coupon to Bennigans"

Once I started wandering the game became a lot better and more immersive, however... I just wish they had tied in a lot more areas to quests and a lot more quests to the main quest. It's not like the game is small they could have added 20 more quests to the main story line and still had 70% be sidequests and such.

I like the game a whole lot more than Oblivion for sure and it definitely is a Fallout game with the right atmosphere but the first two had more of a storyline than "Find your father, save the world... done".

Gameplay is great. Reading the Fallout 3 boards people are being taken away left and right by he Whaaambulance about the 'shooter' aspect and such but with VATS you don't ever have to go into the FPS aspect and if you want super complex interface gaming funtime! get a JRPG or The Witcher... I have no problem with the way Fallout 3's gameplay works, sure it's not like the first two but then the first two were 2d isometric view turn based RPG's.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »
Every one of you that has posted has played the game, no?

Lucky fellas.

F3, after years of waiting for it, finally joined my collection this Xmas. F3's min requirements = the desktops' specs, so I figured I'd be good to go, if not slow, choppy and detail free (more or less that is how I played F1 - on a PC that barely cleared min specs - slow and choppy!).

Come to find out that I need a lot to get this old girl up to snuff since it turns out the vid card is rather outdated, but by the box numbers is enough. Sad.

a New vid card needs better Mobo.
Mobo needs better CPU.
All might need new PSU.
Mohab needs $$
 :banghead:

Also found a check in the mail today from something I did a while ago that ended with a class action suit. Check one of ?. The court won't see the case until tomorrow, so I may be getting a chunk of change out of someone else's boo boo.  :laugh:

Long story short, I'm lookin forward to my coupon to Bennigan's! Now, how many people do you know that play newer games on a computer built at the turn of the century? Even the upgrade parts I've found so far were top of the line years ago!!

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: <--- That's me!

Czar "I've been through a lot of PC's in my time. This one's still the best in my book!" Mohab

P.S. the in game music sounds cool. That is about as far as I got... nosing through the files and listening to the music.
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:32 pm »
It really costs more to upgrade than just buy new anymore. Check out tomshardware.com they have a guide that'll have you up and running with a great gaming PC for less than $700 (and you can probably cut down on that by using cheaper parts in certain areas)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:51 am »
Czar Mohab,

It is better to build a complete new PC than it is to retrofit your current Dinosaur..

Core 2 processor at least (Stick with Intel.. much more powerful than ATI.. I wuldn't go with anything less than the E8650 2.66 Ghz CPU @ 1333 Mhz FSB)

4 GB memory supporting 800 Mhz FSB at least to go with the 1333 Mhz FSB cpu and Motherboard

NVidia Geforece 8800 GTX for base Vid card w/ 768 vid memory

650W PSU at least (ATX Certifiex)

Newer mother board that is ATX SLI certified and 16X on each PCIE slot supporting 1333 Mhz FSB. (preferrable NForce or Intel chipset.. ATI has fallen way behind in system performance compared to NVidia and Intel)

ATX tower case

You should be able to build a rig like this for under $800 currently..

If you want to build a monster PC.. then that would cost apprx $3400 with newest parts available.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 09:28:19 am »
Actually I have to quibble with your assertion about Ati. Their latest graphics cards kick Nvidia's ass all the way around the playground (dollar for dollar if you want to spend $600+ vs $300 for Ati Nvidia comes out ahead in MOST benchmarks). They are the 4850 and 4870...

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:53 am »
Actually I have to quibble with your assertion about Ati. Their latest graphics cards kick Nvidia's ass all the way around the playground (dollar for dollar if you want to spend $600+ vs $300 for Ati Nvidia comes out ahead in MOST benchmarks). They are the 4850 and 4870...

This is why the ATI drivers have been failing WHQL testing and 90% of the game market focuses on designing games for NVidia since NVidia has Physx built in on their 8600 GT and newer cards where ATI you have to buy an NVidia Agia Physx card to get true physx off CPU in game (NVidia owns Agia)..

NVidia SLI is much more stable than ATI XFire... NVidia works with MS to develope for MS Operating system with both Motherboards and Graphics cards...

The only advantage ATI has had over NVidia was Open GL.. NVidia closed that gap 2 years ago and blew ATI out of the water.. NVidia is the only company currently making DirectX 11 video cards..

ATI has taken the fore front with their All-In-Wonder or their Tuner cards.. seeing as how NVidia doesn't do Tuners.. that is the only spot where ATI shines.. which makes competition for Hauppage.

Now If ATI/AMD ever got their act together and offered real customer support for their products on all Windows OS and all system configurations.. including getting WHQL with their AGP cards.. then I would tend to agree with you..

Example... Dizzy just got Radeon HD 2600 AGP card.. I installed it.. Fresh windows install.. ATI drivers caused system to crash just after start up.. this is drivers from disk.. Drivers not WHQL certified for AGP.. Downloaded latest drivers and purged old drivers from system, reinstalled drivers from download.. system crash after start up.. Drivers still not WHQL..

It was the Radeon CCC (Catalist Control Panel) causing incompatibilities with the AGP card slot, the CPU to PCI bridge which required special driver installation (CPU Standard PCI to PCI bridge drivers), 2 hotfixes from Microsoft, and a reinstall of the C++ 2005 and C++ 2008 runtime libraries before I could get his system stable under Windows XP SP 3.. and this was last week.

Every NVidia I have dealt with .. plug it in.. MS recognizes it right off the bat.. DL current drivers which are WHQL certified and system runs great.. no jumping through hoops..

and even with Dizzy's system.. the graphics are slugish with current configuration that prevents it from crashing.

So your argument is ATI is better.. I build computers for a living.. ATI/AMD are nothing but headaches currently.. especially under Vista and Windows 7... but becoming more and more of a pain under Win XP...

How many Drivers for ATI do you have to have to play your games?.. I needed 14 drivers to play 30 games with my Radeon X1300.. I only need the latest NVidia driver to play all my games..

So which is actually better? Take if from a system builder.. NVidia is way much better in ease of use, capabilities, compatibility, drivers, rendering, DirectX compliance, Open GL..

instead of going with Biased reviews.. take it from someone who builds power and gaming PCs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:17:42 pm by Cptn_Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:45:46 pm »
I haven't built as many systems as you but I have built systems. My latest has a Radeon 4870 and it works like a charm and smokes my older 8800 GTX (which I got 3 years ago which goes to show how long Nvidia rested on its laurels), I've found that unless a game runs cruddily updating drivers is more problem than it is worth (both with Ati and Nvidia) and when I find a stable version I don't update drivers.

Still running XP (never going to Vista I'm waiting for Windows 7) so I'll defer to you on Vista issues. My last 4 Systems have been as follows. Radon 9800 (great card, no problems), Geforce 8800GTX, 8600 (no problems with the 8800, the 8600 series died after4 months and was replaced, no problems with new), Radeon 4870 (no problems so far, best performing card I've owned by far).

Now I play lots of games but I don't run server software or go digging into stuff like you do but from my experiences Ati has been fine.

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 02:07:52 pm »
At the risk of confessing to Heresy .... I got tired of the endless computer tweeking and upgrading and the patch this and patch that what-not.   I bought 3 360 elites & 4 flat screens and scattered them across my kingdom.

Life shore got simplerer.  This laptop is for surfing, pic archiving, work, and poker .... lol ... in that order.  That's it.  No regrets.

Mush the Heretic
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
Finally got the pieces and parts working together in a perfect harmony - and spend $212. I recieved a bunch of older computer (P2's and P3's) stuff from a coworker, and then one day he dropped an ASUS P4 mobo in my lap! I was able to spend the money on a new HDD, vid card. PSU, and a couple of SATA data cables... long story short, F3 is by far the best Fallout game yet. It stays true to the theme, including the endless "Really? Another bunch of (insert badguy here)?" encounters.

The 2 (soon to be 3) DLCs look rather good, haven't got into those yet.

The only gripes I have are the Bloatflies and the level cap... 20 I don't think is enough, and the darn flies still bug you...

Current specs:
ASUS P5GD1-VM Mobo
P4 3.4HT/800 FSB
3 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 3850 graphics (512 DDR3, et al)
Using onboard sound until I can find a PCI riser/extention... vid card covers one PCI slot with it's beefy heatsink, other PCI slot has Wireless network card
ENERMAX 650w PSU
500GB SATA WD HDD + 100GB SATA HDD (donated from dead laptop!)
Running Windows 7 Beta (with an overall 4.4 rating (CPU is low))
Using an old Dell mATX case right now, soon to be moving to an ATX case (which has more fan spots and much more room for the miles of cable that the Enermax uses)

Last things I need to do are to upgrade from this bulky 15 inch monitor to something LCD and bigger than 15 inches, and rig up the fans on the ATX case with Low-Med-High-Off switches. Freecycle here I come!

Czar "You know me, cheap as free!" Mohab

P.S. Thanks for all your input as to the "best way to go". As soon as I have the free cash, I'mma make me a true beast based on the i7 processor (unless something better comes around!).
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline blank

• Ensign
    • Orc
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:58:44 am »
This game is dangerous!!! Don't play before the exams or you will face the same destiny of being addicted :( I've even stayed up late to play this game!!

It finished too early tho :( Wish they made it longer and more versatile so that you can change the main quest and by that i don't mean choosing if you will go in or the blonde girl as a way of deciding the game... and sure it would be nice if they added some more elements to the game such as building your own colony and then battling others... ahh i think im expecting too much but that would keep me nailed to the screen... cant wait for the sequel :)
Play By Orc Top Games Rated - Fun free online games to play by orc pad. real love calculator

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »
This game is dangerous!!! Don't play before the exams or you will face the same destiny of being addicted :( I've even stayed up late to play this game!!

It finished too early tho :( Wish they made it longer and more versatile so that you can change the main quest and by that i don't mean choosing if you will go in or the blonde girl as a way of deciding the game... and sure it would be nice if they added some more elements to the game such as building your own colony and then battling others... ahh i think im expecting too much but that would keep me nailed to the screen... cant wait for the sequel :)

agree, playing through the game now, taking me away from working hard on my Q3 stuff, but it is giving my brain a rest as I read up on other things.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Spartan-039

• Master of the Tau Empire sept, Vor'kan
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »
I have it for the 360 and I'm lovin' it! The Fat Man is easily my favorite weapon in the game, who wouldn't love a mini-nuke launcher that they can carry around?
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.