Topic: I got taken for a ride, I think  (Read 9267 times)

Offline xlr8

• Lt. Junior Grade
I got taken for a ride, I think
« on: August 27, 2008, 08:38:24 pm »
I'm a long time gamer, but for whatever reason I totally glossed over the fact that there was an SFC3. I only realized it after the Star Trek Online hype started a bit back.

So... To the net I go and discover that people want between 80 and 150 bucks for the game. Yay, lawsuits.  :D

I finally located a guy by talking with a girl that works at the gamestop nearby. He sells me his "slightly used" SFC3 game (in a box!) for 50 bucks. It was mailed to me. I get what is obviously a burned CD with a cheese label on it and a CD key of 0000-0000-0000-XXXX (last 4 digits hidden but rest are true zeros.)

So Im guessing I got a burnt game with a master unlock key, right? And I'm also guessing I wont be able to play online, right?

The game patched and all that jazz -- I just started the Kling campaign in SP.... but I WANT to go online. Any chance of that?

Offline xlr8

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: I got taken for a ride, I think
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:00:20 am »
Heeeeeeeellllllllooooooo... didnt sign up & post this for my personal amusement  ;D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:56:38 am »
Heeeeeeeellllllllooooooo... didnt sign up & post this for my personal amusement  ;D

most likely you got suckered.  Some of the guys who do SFCIII will probably post the same later (got to be patient on here, usually you get a quick answer, but sometimes they take alittle)
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:03:33 am »
If you want to buy a legit copy, look on Amazon for an unopened package.

If you want a used copy (which doesn't mean the game hasn't been copied or that the cd key isn't in use), You can look on Ebay.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:59:45 am »
First thing I would do is turn the jerk in for the illegal copy. Next Check out various forums for sellers from reputal sites like this one. I will check with our group and see what everyone has available.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:06:35 am »
Hopefully you paid by Check, and put a stop payment on it.
Next use the bank to start a fruad case agaisnt him

Never pay cash unless you can inspect the goods before you close the deal.

Unfortuantly there is not not you can do if you don't wish to press charges against the guy, which means you are out 50 bucks. You have at leasat reminded the comunity that there are ppl out that are less than honest, and it is a buyer beware situation with older software. Personally I thank you for reminding us, unfortuantly you got took and though we would like to help you, there really is not much we can do. I hope you paid by check though as then at least if you want to you can press charges and have a few other options available to you.

Either way sorry for your loss
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline xlr8

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:49:29 pm »
Hey thanks yall!

Yeah I paid cash. But its ok, Im having fun with it in SP mode. Going after that guy is fruitless. I'm 38 and been round the block a few times. Texas isnt hypercritical about minor thefts. Squeezing water from a rock is easier.

If anybody can find me a REAL version without a hosed key, I'd buy it again. Least, til Fallout3 gets here.  ;D

Which mods work with SP mode? I tried reading about GAW but it doesnt say anything about SP.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:34:05 pm »
The GAW mod, last I checked, was supposed to work with single player mode, but it's been so long I can't remember properly.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 05:26:50 am »
I am setting up a full installer with Legions at War which will work with singleplayer and storyline also. Will be done this weekend and I will post a link for ya. Be ready for a challenge its not easy.

Offline xlr8

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 11:22:50 am »
Sounds great! Looking forward to it!  8)

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:06:49 am »
Still working on the singleplayer story. Theres alot of changes to make for all campaigns. As soon as I have it I will get you the link. Sorry about the wait.

Offline Winter

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:54:56 pm »
That's rough man! I had somethin' kinda like that happen with Tribes 2 way back in the day. 'Cept i bought it from a store!!

As for finding you a real version I got my SP3 copy off Ebay and it works great! Just did a quick search for you and there's one you can bid on that's as of this writing only $0.99 cents with no reserve! Ugh! I did a buy it now on mine for almost $90. ah well live and learn.

In case you want it the link is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290298833146

Hope it helps!! And hell yeah to Fallout 3!!

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 12:38:57 am »
http://www.gfluniverse.org/public_html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1165
here is the link sorry didnt forget just bee n working my but off. Check our site often for updates or assistance. to do singleplayer you will have to go to the sfc3/assets/scripts and delete the allscripts and campaignscripts files but they will rebuild when game is started. If you need anymore assistance or need a legions at war self installing dvd let me know.