Topic: Surprised no one mentioned Star Wars came out today  (Read 6566 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Surprised no one mentioned Star Wars came out today
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »
Anyone see the new Star Wars animated movie.  Surprised no one mentioned it here or what they thought.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Surprised no one mentioned Star Wars came out today
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:45:20 pm »
Anyone see the new Star Wars animated movie.  Surprised no one mentioned it here or what they thought.

Going to it tomorrow early afternoon.  Will see I don't have my hopes up as I was slightly disappointed in the prequels.  But will be a good time out for my son and myself.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:18 am »
It has to be better than Phantom Menace...has to be!

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:53:25 pm »
Going to see it tonite, son has been bugging me to go for over a week now.

It's his reward for a no cavity check-up today. :thumbsup:
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 04:05:41 pm »
just got back from seeing it.  It was good.  My expectations were low and they were exceded so, I would recomend if you liked the animated starwars from Cartoon network you should see it, if you didn't mind the CN starwars you should see it.

I will not see it a second time at the theater but will buy it later.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »
It was OK. Kids liked it. Interestingly no more than 10% occupancy though.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 11:42:35 pm »
MUCH better than attack of the clones because Lucas didn't direct it (and he sucks ass as a director).  I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this trilogy within the trilogy.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:55:29 pm »
It's a trilogy within a trilogy?

could you explain that more?

Is the season split into three segments/story lines or are they releasing two more movies that will be part of the cartoon series?

-------

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:31 am »

Is the season split into three segments/story lines or are they releasing two more movies that will be part of the cartoon series?

not sure on that, but it is going to a tv series (IIRC)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 04:56:12 pm »

the story clearly isn't over.   Takes place between Episodes 2 and 3 and there has to be at least 1 more as Anakin's Padawan must die before episode 3.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 05:00:07 pm »

the story clearly isn't over.   Takes place between Episodes 2 and 3 and there has to be at least 1 more as Anakin's Padawan must die before episode 3.

or becomes a full jedi before 3 starts.

I believe the movie is the leader into the TV series.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:34 am »

The movie was originally supposed to be the pilot for the TV series.  Lucas was reviewing the footage on a big screen, and decided to go for a theatrical release instead.  That's also why this film got less attention.  As for Anakin's Padawan dying.  According to the Star Wars expanded universe, if a Jedi successfully trains a padawan to knighthood they automatically become a master.  Anakin was not a master in episode 3 which is why DH believes that she will die.  On the one hand, I wouldn't consider trading cards, comic books, and novels gospel especially since the film already seems to contradict them by having the council assign a padawan to a knight rather than the knight selecting his own apprentice, but on the other hand, Lucas maintains a tighter control over this than what we see with the Star Trek licensing, and he has stated that while the SWEU is not the final arbiter on what he puts in films, he has it condensed into an encyclopedia, and he does consult it so that he is less likely to conflict with it.  However, even if they choose to go with the expanded universe rules, there could be other explanations for Anakin not being a master.  Ie.  She washes out, she is reassigned to a different master, she quits, she is still his padawan but not present for some reason.  I think the film really could have done without the purple "cross-dressing" Hutt with a Truman Capote accent.  It just looked too ridiculous.

anyone who hasn't seen the movie but wants to see a picture of what I'm talking about can click on this link.
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/b8/Ziro.JPEG
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:06:43 am by knightstorm »

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:19:38 am »

The movie was originally supposed to be the pilot for the TV series.  Lucas was reviewing the footage on a big screen, and decided to go for a theatrical release instead.  That's also why this film got less attention.  As for Anakin's Padawan dying.  According to the Star Wars expanded universe, if a Jedi successfully trains a padawan to knighthood they automatically become a master.  Anakin was not a master in episode 3 which is why DH believes that she will die.  On the one hand, I wouldn't consider trading cards, comic books, and novels gospel especially since the film already seems to contradict them by having the council assign a padawan to a knight rather than the knight selecting his own apprentice, but on the other hand, Lucas maintains a tighter control over this than what we see with the Star Trek licensing, and he has stated that while the SWEU is not the final arbiter on what he puts in films, he has it condensed into an encyclopedia, and he does consult it so that he is less likely to conflict with it.  However, even if they choose to go with the expanded universe rules, there could be other explanations for Anakin not being a master.  Ie.  She washes out, she is reassigned to a different master, she quits, she is still his padawan but not present for some reason.  I think the film really could have done without the purple "cross-dressing" Hutt with a Truman Capote accent.  It just looked too ridiculous.

Zero hut was my biggest problem with the movie also (my sons problem also).  Other then that, it was good.  Not great, but good.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 06:03:02 pm »
Maybe she turns to the darkside?

-------

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 07:59:47 pm »
I saw it. It was a good lead in for the series. There is going to be a live action series about the time between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope airing on TNT as well. I think Lucas has stated there will be at least 100 episodes of that regardless of ratings.

I watched Clone Wars again after seeing it to see where it fit in and if they ruined anything Genndy Tartakovsky did and surprisingly enough, it fits! These stories are a bit after the first episode of the second season, just after Anakin becomes a full Jedi Knight (you can tell by the length of his hair). If they are going to respect what Tartakovsky did as canon, then Asoka's fate must be determined before the lead up to Chancellor Palpatine's kidnapping.

Yoda did say in Clone Wars that Anakin's training was unorthodox and so too would be his trials. He hadn't taken the Trial of Spirit yet when they gave him a Padawan so she could die, get another master or graduate to Jedi Knight. They do have almost three years to fill with this series.

I'm glad they brought Ventress back. She's the best villan since Vader.

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 10:31:51 pm »

The previous sentence proves without doubt that only Corbomite could divide by zero and survive.  If you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go into the corner now and lose my sanity, I'll be done in a minute.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 12:13:22 am »
I saw it. It was a good lead in for the series. There is going to be a live action series about the time between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope airing on TNT as well. I think Lucas has stated there will be at least 100 episodes of that regardless of ratings.

I watched Clone Wars again after seeing it to see where it fit in and if they ruined anything Genndy Tartakovsky did and surprisingly enough, it fits! These stories are a bit after the first episode of the second season, just after Anakin becomes a full Jedi Knight (you can tell by the length of his hair). If they are going to respect what Tartakovsky did as canon, then Asoka's fate must be determined before the lead up to Chancellor Palpatine's kidnapping.

Yoda did say in Clone Wars that Anakin's training was unorthodox and so too would be his trials. He hadn't taken the Trial of Spirit yet when they gave him a Padawan so she could die, get another master or graduate to Jedi Knight. They do have almost three years to fill with this series.

If I remember right when Anakin killed Ventress in Genndy's story, they were not sure who she was.  But in this one they know all about her (or did I miss something has been a long time since I saw the CN version)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:11 am »
If I remember right when Anakin killed Ventress in Genndy's story, they were not sure who she was.  But in this one they know all about her (or did I miss something has been a long time since I saw the CN version)

I get the impression that she was a resurrected throw away. They didn't know who she was and when Anakin defeated her on the fourth moon of Yavin, she fell off a cliff and it was never shown what happened to her. Simple enough to say she survived and managed to find some way off the moon even after Anakin swiped her ship.

When Count Dooku said that she would be more than a match for Anakin, Palpatine said that it didn't matter if she destroyed him or not, that she was just a tool to bring about the downfall of the Jedi so they probably weren't too pissed that she failed and rescued her.

The familiarity was a bit odd, but with Palpatine's fed intelligence and Ventress' need to prove herself it isn't unrealistic to think that they might have met up again once or twice between "then" and "now".

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »

I get the impression that she was a resurrected throw away. They didn't know who she was and when Anakin defeated her on the fourth moon of Yavin, she fell off a cliff and it was never shown what happened to her. Simple enough to say she survived and managed to find some way off the moon even after Anakin swiped her ship.

When Count Dooku said that she would be more than a match for Anakin, Palpatine said that it didn't matter if she destroyed him or not, that she was just a tool to bring about the downfall of the Jedi so they probably weren't too pissed that she failed and rescued her.

The familiarity was a bit odd, but with Palpatine's fed intelligence and Ventress' need to prove herself it isn't unrealistic to think that they might have met up again once or twice between "then" and "now".

yes, was thinking the comic book death (falling into the abyss, would be an answer).  I have kind of wondered when the two stories merged.  With the movie being fully after CN story, then it makes since they know her.  I should have just gone with it this way as a return of Ventress with the standard way Lucas keeps his stories in packets that don't overlap.  (I have gotten used to a story style that overlap storylines so looked at it that way).

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 05:50:39 am »
the movie was not bad, but was not good on many point.

ani was not a jedi knight but a padawan.

we never see or hear oj jaba's son.

ani's padawan, we never heard of her after that.

its just annoying to see how they can screw a story when the change detail.