Topic: Multi-boxing  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Multi-boxing
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:42 pm »
This last week, I started multi-boxing WoW with alot of fun.

I figured I would help others here, as multi-boxing can be used with just about any game. First here's what I did, since those MMO's are expensive. I had my regular WoW account set up, and simply created another instance for a trial account to see If I could in fact multi-box to begin with.

Both instances of the game must be in a differant folder.

next, I grabbed a free program called Hotkeynet. This allows you to broadcast key strokes to differant windows. Now the way windows works, you have to  rename the windows also. The followin script in note pad is what I used to do both of them...

<Hotkey Ctrl R>
    <SendPC local>
        <RenameWin "World of Warcraft" wow1>
        <RenameWin "World of Warcraft" wow2>

<Label Steveone Local SendWinM wow1>
<Label Stevetwo Local SendWinM wow2>

<HoldDownKey w, a, s, d, up, down, left, right>
<SendLabel Steveone, Stevetwo>

<BroadcastKey 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12,  Ctrl F1, Ctrl F2>
<SendLabel Steveone, Stevetwo>

The rename is easy, I used Labels so the pc would tell where to send the key strokes.

Broadcast keys are easy, these are the keys that with a simple press would go to both windows. you can also set this up over multiple pcs just by plugging in there IP address under Label.

IT's funny, that I can do this with WoW and a few other games, but I still can't play OP because of the amount of variables being sent.
Anyway, I just thought I would write this as a primer for those interested in multi-boxing, there are plenty of other tools available, but this is a great start for those not wanting to invest too much money.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: Multi-boxing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:06:25 pm »
Blizzard allows multi-boxing but there can be no automation, ie priest character casts a heal on any character with less than X health.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:44 pm »
Exactly, you have to actually target a toon and press a button to heal. However you can set up macro's to make this easier.

For example, on a priest I might have the Shift-numpad 1 left only to the holy priest and empty on all others so that when I press Shift-Numpad one, only one priest will heal the target. add in a mouseover in the macro, and it get's even easier.

The most important and most widely used Macros is of course
-------------------
/target Charactername
/assist
/follow

-------------------

put this in tab one, on all of the alts, and they will then follow the main, or target the Mains target.

Stephen

edit I found this that might make it easier to understand...

Automation

Semantics issue #1:
Is using one keyboard to send signals to multiple instances of WoW automation?
In other words, what is the definition of automation as it applies to WoW?

"Using a keyboard setup like what you're describing? Not automation.

Setting up a macro with said keyboard that would, for example, automatically press Fireball each time it was available? Automation."

-Belfaire, Blizzard Poster

http://www.dual-boxing.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Conversations#Automation

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:07:00 am »
I have enough trouble keeping track of what I am doing on one character let alone five or more. I really pointed that out for anyone reading the original post. For everyones multi-boxing enjoyment try the following.
Five shamans!

What server are you on? I mostly play on Kirin Tor, alliance.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:11:08 pm »
I have my original toon from the 9th fleet over on Earthring, but my Mains...

DennyBlaskin = Gul'Dan
DannyBlaskin = Kil'Jaiden.

it's funny, the Denny toon was for my wife to play, then she wanted me to level her, then she lost intrest...

alts all over the place though

Stephen