Topic: Knights of the Old Republic MMO  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Knights of the Old Republic MMO
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:49:27 am »
http://news.filefront.com/e3-2008-ea-confirms-knights-of-the-old-republic-mmo/

This has been rumored for quite a long time, but Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has given us the final word: a Knights of the Old Republic MMO is in development by BioWare.

“We’ve got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development,” said Riccitiello in an interview with Portfolio.com. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. “And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about — in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it.”

The interviewer then asked if Riccitiello meant a KotoR MMO, to which he responded, “Yes.” Sweet.

Star Wars fans will be rejoicing across the world at this news, since they’ll finally be able to clinging to Star Wars Galaxies. As excited for this game as I am — I’ll absolutely be on board for the game’s first day online — I certainly hope this doesn’t mean we won’t get another proper KotoR game in the future. The first one remains my second favorite Bioware game (right behind Mass Effect), and I’d really be happy to see a third game released. Between the MMO and the Mass Effect sequels, though, it seems unlikely that KotoR 3 is in the cards.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
Re: Knights of the Old Republic MMO
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:57:43 pm »
ewww, I'm still fuming over the kotor2 debacle (which will be fixed by the community VERY soon) where they released an unfinished game to make the release date. Besides, a kotor MMO will be what SWG already is, but running on a diff server with an old GE (the NWN engine), right ? An EA is involved so I don't have high hopes (after what they've done to NFS the last couple years).
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:25:43 pm »
I don't do MMO's.  I actually enjoyed KotoR2, and thought KotoR2 did somethings better than the first (and some things worse).  The end was rather truncated, but up until that point it was great!  and 99% of the game for me isn't how it ends, but the experience getting there.

I'd happily get a stand alone KoToR 3 that I could do solo, or even if it was online I'd get it...but one that requires a monthly fee...forget it.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:26:30 pm »
Don't get me started on KOTOR 2, I check the community site about once a month to see where they are on the other stuff they left out.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:30:30 am »
If you don't know already the kotor 2 restoration project is almost to the release stage;
http://www.team-gizka.org/

I've been watching this for the last 18 months, this is going to be HUGE for Kotor2, just like our project is going to be for SFC.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:02:31 am »
Explain to me this...restoration.

Does it include the original makers of the game and them creating what they left out...or is it just a fan mod?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:07:26 pm »
Neither. Most of the original game that was left out , was actually still on the game cd's. What the fans have done, is simply to restore the content that was taken out, like the Droid Factory, etc.

It's a good thing.

Stephen

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:20:20 pm »
I didn't think the Droid factory was actually on the CDs, but they had found voice segments and other such things.  Some had discussed the idea of a fan mod where they took the fragments there, and made them into a more cohesive thing, but from what I've seen left on the CD's, most of it would be up to their own imagination of what would be there.  This was because there really isn't any content for the left out areas because they didn't have enough time to really make most of them anyways.

It WOULD be bolstered a lot in legitimacy if they had a few of the story writers and creators from Obsidian giving them inputs to show them the correct course of action of what was intended.

Which would also define it differently then other normal user made mods (for example, Diablo had mods made off of some fragments left on the CD but not included in the game as well...but were totally fan made in overall content...hence a normal user made mod).

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 06:27:52 pm »
You might be right, but I could have sworn most of the Droid factory (for example) was there, along with voice etc. but was removed from the game at the last minute.

Stephen

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 06:57:50 pm »
Explain to me this...restoration.

Does it include the original makers of the game and them creating what they left out...or is it just a fan mod?

There was alot of unused content on the gamedisks and commented out scripts in the original game, these guys just restored what was there and added a few links to tie it all together. This is supposed to be what was intended by Lucas, but im sure they added few scenes as some of the stuff wasn't usable, but technically it's a community mod.