Topic: D&D 4th Review on Ain't it cool  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
D&D 4th Review on Ain't it cool
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:11:14 pm »
IF anyone's interested.. makes it sound interesting enough I might have to pick it up.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35776
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: D&D 4th Review on Ain't it cool
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:30:09 am »
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5331429585309819856

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:47 pm »
Wish I had a group to play with.  I've never really played D&D but I'd like to give it a try. 

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:00:31 pm »
We still use second edition though we haven't played in nearly a year.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Star Dragon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:37:15 pm »
Wow and to think I use to be a sucker and buy every add on known to man from 1st to 3 (stopping at 3.5).

It was nice how he reminded me twice in that article about how much cash (over two decades probably over 10 grand) I dumped into a MIND GAME and have nothing to show for it that's still current and "valid".

So once I get over my anger you think I'm gong to run right out and buy all the new 4e books? Why?  I bet when 5ed comes out all the 4e books are gonna get burned anyway. They admit every X years they reboot the system and make you do it all over again. PC games don't make you do that at least, they debug and PATCH IT! :)

Thank god for electronic PDF's is all I'm going to say on the matter...    :angel:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:56:03 pm »
It was nice how he reminded me twice in that article about how much cash (over two decades probably over 10 grand) I dumped into a MIND GAME and have nothing to show for it that's still current and "valid".

You have nothing to show for it?  I have memories of many good times with friends just for a start.  Very worthwhile.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:29:04 am »
So once I get over my anger you think I'm gong to run right out and buy all the new 4e books? Why?  I bet when 5ed comes out all the 4e books are gonna get burned anyway. They admit every X years they reboot the system and make you do it all over again. PC games don't make you do that at least, they debug and PATCH IT! :)

Actually, most games just fad off and the operating systems quit supporting them.  Try and play the old X-wing fighter game now, probably will not run (and support is long gone).  At least a board game you can keep playing it even if it isn't the current version. (unless of course all your books get taken out in a flood ::))
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:37 am »
Good example marstone but X-wing, Tie Fighter and XvT are XP compatable. Though you probably need to run in 95/98 compatability mode for the earlier ones.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:35:48 am »
It's been so long since I've played D&D, I've forgotten how many sides a d20 has!  I just expect 4th ed. to be as bad as 2nd and 3rd.  Back when Gary Gygax was running the show, D&D was nice and wierd.  I still like the AD&D rulebooks.  After the franchise was stolen out from under Gygax, D&D descended to the lowest common denominator.  If I ever play again, I'll unpack the old books.

This thread is going off track fast!
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 03:01:39 pm »
Good example marstone but X-wing, Tie Fighter and XvT are XP compatable. Though you probably need to run in 95/98 compatability mode for the earlier ones.

Ah, but how many people still have a floppy drive on their spiffy new computers??
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 03:11:24 pm »
You know they did release them all on CD...three times over.  ;D
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 05:22:02 pm »

Ah, but how many people still have a floppy drive on their spiffy new computers??

I did, you can get a USB one for cheap.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.