Topic: Who here is old enough to remember...  (Read 10354 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Who here is old enough to remember...
« on: June 03, 2008, 01:16:08 am »
...the original NES and Sega Genesis game systems.

Is it just me, or were video games alot more fun back in those days, even with the crappy graphics and computer generated sound.

I look back to the days when I used to play the old NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis games and remember that I had so much more fun playing those games than I have playing even some of the PS1 games and PS2.

Hell, some of the old Atari games my brother had seemed to be alot more fun than most games these days.

I personally think that most video games these days focus too much on graphics and sound quality and less on whether or not the game is actually fun to play.

Or maybe it's just my age showing.

What do you guys think?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
Re: Who here is old enough to remember...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:24:33 am »
I'm old enough.  And I agree... or at least it seems that way, doesn't it?
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:56:25 am »
I remember the old Commadore 64!  Those had a lot of really good games.  Way back then, there were a lot of fun games.  Now that I can buy whatever machine I need or want, there's nothing remotely interesting.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:04:51 am »
Super Mario Bros. Rocked.  At least they are still alive through the glory of emulation.  You can even play the games on your cellphone now.  What's also cool is looking at some of the celebrity licensing.  In addition to Mike Tyson being the final boss in punchout, you had Michael Jackson  staring in this bizarre title, that in my view rivals Shaq Fu for the "greatest console game of all time" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson%27s_Moonwalker
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:22:21 am by knightstorm »

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:31:29 am »
I will agree most games now adays seem to be the bleeding edge of graphics and sound, but the game lacks alot for depth.  The idea of making a game longer is making players run back and forth to fllip switches and stuff.  Puzzles in new games are way to easy over all.

New game designers need to dig out an old Atari system and do some research.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:13:46 am »
Agreed.  One of my favorite Console Games was Super Mario Bros 3.  But let us not forget The Legend of Zelda.  Anyone remember Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary for the NES?  A Piece of the Action part deux.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:50 am »
They were more fun back then.  But part of that is nostalgia more than anything.

I still fire up my Sega Mastersystem (20 years old) from time to time; still works. 

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:28:04 pm »
I remember both of those old systems.  For me though, nothing beats the old original Atari.  I'd give a lot to  play a round of Defender or Yar's Revenge again. 
"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:25:12 pm »
Agreed.  One of my favorite Console Games was Super Mario Bros 3.  But let us not forget The Legend of Zelda.  Anyone remember Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary for the NES?  A Piece of the Action part deux.
I never had an NES, but have played 25th Anniversary on PC. It was killer!
Kirby Superstar for SNES is incredibly fun also.

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:17:23 pm »

OK, confession time - we STILL have an SNES set up in our basement, and both my wife and I still play it at least once a week.

dave

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:31:40 pm »
The thing is, the PC version and the NES version are two DIFFERENT games.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Akira_Commander567

• Zachary "the Marksman" Rich
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »
Aaaaaaa, the NES is great for oldschool games. I still have Jurassic Park for the NES, it kicks @$$!
The truth is like a thriple-edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 06:26:10 pm »
Yeah, the 25th anniversary star trek was a really cool game, although I thought the controls were too sluggish in the space combat  level.  Dr. Mario was one of my favorite all time games. I also liked TMNT 2.  Did anyone here ever play NARC?  I was seven when I got that game, and didn't understand all of the drug and sex references in it until years later.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:36:42 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:40 pm »
Is it just me, or were video games alot more fun back in those days, even with the crappy graphics and computer generated sound.

I personally think that most video games these days focus too much on graphics and sound quality and less on whether or not the game is actually fun to play.

Or maybe it's just my age showing.

What do you guys think?

Mostly age - but there was a certain magic for us because we were the first generation exposed to the machine in this fashion.

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 07:31:31 pm »
I remember the old Commadore 64!  Those had a lot of really good games.  Way back then, there were a lot of fun games.  Now that I can buy whatever machine I need or want, there's nothing remotely interesting.

I still have my Atari 800.  I still enjoy games of Imperium Galacticum, Colonial Conquest, and Star Raiders  :thumbsup: from time to time...
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 07:35:58 pm »
Did anyone here have the nintendo robot?  I didn't get my NES until after they had already stopped making it.  Even though, it apparently sucked, it still looked really cool.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:40 pm »
It isn't just you Centurus. Games today are all about the graphics and not the gameplay. There are still gems out there it's just with so many choices it's hard to sort through the crap. I find it funny though that most of the best games now, in my opinion of course, started as PnP or board games way back when.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 12:32:43 am »
We also tend to remember the good games while forgetting the bad, which is predictable.

It's like how oldies stations never play the songs from 1966 that really sucked.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 07:16:34 am »
We also tend to remember the good games while forgetting the bad, which is predictable.

It's like how oldies stations never play the songs from 1966 that really sucked.

;D Nobody who has ever played ET on the Atari 2600 could possibly forget how much it sucked.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:53 am »

;D Nobody who has ever played ET on the Atari 2600 could possibly forget how much it sucked.

What's wrong with levitating out of wells?  Seriously, while the 2600 is before my time, I have read about some of the games.  E.T. isn't too bad an effort considering it was only made in 6 weeks.  Of the games I've read about, Custer's Revenge is probably the worst one.  Then again, quaker oats supposedly made some awful games.