Topic: BSG Cylon Staff Renders (classic Centurions)  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
BSG Cylon Staff Renders (classic Centurions)
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »
Enjoy.....
Nice job of retaining the original look, losing the "man-in-suit" feel, and adding a tad of killing machine menace....

http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/bsg-vfx-anatomy-of-a-cylon/

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Re: BSG Cylon Staff Renders (classic Centurions)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:04:25 am »
Nice find.  :thumbsup:

Cool to bring in the old school, but if they ever slip a dagget into the new seires then jump the shark it has.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:34:48 pm »
I loved the episodes where they showed the flashback to young Bill Adama's fight with the old-style cylons, and the loss of the Battlestar Columbia.  It was a great homage to the original.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »
The Razor DVD cut-scenes have even more classsic-Cylon goodness....
The dropped scenes of Cain as a little girl losing her sister and almost getting killed by a Cylon are there...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »
Is my mind playing a trick on me but didn't they show in the pilot the diagrams of the old man in suit style centurion when the guy was paging through the paperwork on the base before 6 walked in?

If I remember right, it didn't look like that render, was just like the old style Centurian.  Also seem to remember them having the blueprint of the raider also in that packet of papers.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:19:18 pm »
Is my mind playing a trick on me but didn't they show in the pilot the diagrams of the old man in suit style centurion when the guy was paging through the paperwork on the base before 6 walked in?

If I remember right, it didn't look like that render, was just like the old style Centurion.  Also seem to remember them having the blueprint of the raider also in that packet of papers.

Not just that, but there was an actual old style Centurion in a display case in the "museum".
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 11:50:01 pm »

If I remember right, it didn't look like that render, was just like the old style Centurion.  Also seem to remember them having the blueprint of the raider also in that packet of papers.

Not just that, but there was an actual old style Centurion in a display case in the "museum".

That is what I was thinking.  So thus with the precident set, the CGI Centurions should have been Man in suit style to fit what was already shown.  Darn that continuity.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 07:25:41 pm »

That is what I was thinking.  So thus with the precident set, the CGI Centurions should have been Man in suit style to fit what was already shown.  Darn that continuity.
I'm glad they tweaked the Cylons to look better.
If you want to be picky, look at the image below (the one you were thinking of from the Mini-Series), and hang your hat on the phrase "varies with their type". You can assume there were multiple variants, with "man-in-suit" as an early prototype, and the cooler ones as developed during the first Cylon war....

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:09:53 pm »
 :goodpost:

hang your hat on the phrase "varies with their type". You can assume there were multiple variants, with "man-in-suit" as an early prototype, and the cooler ones as developed during the first Cylon war....
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:39 pm »

Also, look at the Model #.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 12:47:33 am »
okay, I'll hang my hat on that.  Only seen the scene once, didn't stay on long anough to read the sheets.  But personally, I am not totally wild about the CGI version.  It looks good, but to me there seems to be a style clash between the top and bottom, the way the legs are moved (the cylenders sticking way out in the back) and the arms being totally different makes it resemble a kitbase to me.

Will have to pick up Razer now.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 05:11:05 am »
Personally I can't wait until some smartass engineer figures out how to get one of these things up and running autonomously or more likely by remote command. Wonder what the effect on "hearts and minds" would be when a platoon or twenty of Cylon Centurions begins handling security in hot spots.  :drool: Good times.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,