Topic: IBM is moving to Firefox as its default browser  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
IBM is moving to Firefox as its default browser
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:11:43 pm »
Link to full article

Note:  The author (as indicated in the first paragraph) is an IBM employee and may well have a bias against Microsoft due to past IBM-Microsoft history.

Some of the software we all use shouldn’t surprise you since we make it, such as Lotus Notes, Lotus Sametime, and Lotus Symphony.

Some of us started using it because it was new and fast and cool. I tried it for those reasons, but I still use it for the following ones:

* Firefox is stunningly standards compliant, and interoperability via open standards is key to IBM’s strategy.
    * Firefox is open source and its development schedule is managed by a development community not beholden to one commercial entity.
    * Firefox is secure and an international community of experts continues to develop and maintain it.
    * Firefox is extensible and can be customized for particular applications and organizations, like IBM.
    * Firefox is innovative and has forced the hand of browsers that came before and after it to add and improve speed and function.

While other browsers have come and gone, Firefox is now the gold standard for what an open, secure, and standards-compliant browser should be. We’ll continue to see this or that browser be faster or introduce new features, but then another will come along and be better still, including Firefox.

I think it was Firefox and its growth that reinvigorated the browser market as well as the web. That is, Firefox forced competitors to respond. Their software has gotten better and we have all benefited. We’ll see this again as Firefox continues to add even more support for HTML5.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: IBM is moving to Firefox as its default browser
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:39:43 pm »
if you are microsoft, this has to sting a bit...

HAHA!!!
* FRA_stoneyface_XC points and laughs like melson
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-