Topic: The Forge - Rolling Thunder  (Read 25615 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: The Forge - Rolling Thunder
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:54 am »
Connection a bit shaky tonight but stable earlier about 5 of us on and it wouldn't stay up more than 5 or so min .It always resets itself in the selector screen which is nice.Only takes a min or so and it's back up.

Ah crap... wonder what was happening. Was everybody losing connection?

Let me take a look and see if it has actually rebooted (as long as the session has not been touched)...

Was the website busy at that time? (lot of map relaods in a row from Pestalence? when was he testing his map - let me compare ht e times o those two posts...  Dynaverse.net is longer throttled, and if its busy it will take the whole connection leaving nothing for anything else.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2008, 07:24:02 am »
Yes, your post follows shortly after Pestalence's post. I suspect the two may be related.

I may have to throttle the webserver again (it only makes sense) but everybody (including Frey) hates it when I do. See we have 1.5Mbps up total . In order to guarantee that any one service will be available they must all be throttled, otherwise one service can be used to "DoS" another.

I'll look into it, and see what the word is. Lets keep an eye on stability, is it related to the number of players on the server, the number of browsers at the website or just the time of day?

Hopefully this will not repeat itself.

See, I can't saturate the connection using the webserver from a dial-up connection to prove my point.

Though maybe I'm too quick to blame it on the lack of a webserver throttle, but I know it could definitely be a problem. (and abused).

I'm working on something else today, but if we have stability issues again, i just might slap a ~500Kbps throttle on Dynaverse.net and see if that stops it.

Ah, I suppose I could put a 1Mbps throttle on, which would be eual to our entire connection previously, but now would still reserver at least 400Kbps for other services is the webserver is swamped... I bet no one would harldy notice and it sure would put my mind at ease...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:47:56 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:16 am »
Bah, I think I'm overthinking it as usual, we were doing a lot of software maintenance and stuff yesterday, so I don't think I'll panic yet, but just wait a few more days and see how it goes.

* Bonk says to self... ok breathe... 1,2,3 in... 1,2,3, out... ahhhh... alright, I gotta go do a brake job on the car...

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2008, 09:16:26 am »
Connection a bit shaky tonight but stable earlier about 5 of us on and it wouldn't stay up more than 5 or so min .It always resets itself in the selector screen which is nice.Only takes a min or so and it's back up.

Ah crap... wonder what was happening. Was everybody losing connection?

Let me take a look and see if it has actually rebooted (as long as the session has not been touched)...

Yes, everyone was getting "connection to the server has been lost". It would always come back up within a min or so, but it went down 3 times in about 10-15 min before I gave up and went to bed. It was almost 1:30 am for me anyway.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:27 am »
Humm... looking at the event logs MSSQL EXPRESS was started around 11:00PM central. I'm not sure if something I was doing resulted it it starting or if it was something else. (EDIT: nah, I was gone to bed that was 1:00AM my time) Then MSSQL EXPRESS ran backup operations of its own around 12:55AM central.

I'll need to figure out what is dependent on MSSQL EXPRESS on that box and why it might be starting. Dollars to donuts this is related...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2008, 10:18:43 am »
Well I dont see it running as a service or anything, perhaps it was a one time thing related to the windows updates yesterday. I'll go over the db a bit to make sure there's nothing weird there.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2008, 11:14:48 am »
The web map is now working correctly for me.. the server kit email is case sensitive and must match the D.net email completely.. and since D.Net defaults to lower case letters only.. Your GSA Login email must be all lower case as well..

web map working perfectly now.
 Thanks Bonk
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2008, 11:48:39 am »
Ok.. now I can't log into the forge under either spelling of my email

Pestalence@gmail.com or pestalence@gmail.com

I get unknown error logging on to the server message.

if possible, remove my account from the server and clean the DB so I can log in please..

Much appreciated.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Ok.. now I can't log into the forge under either spelling of my email

Pestalence@gmail.com or pestalence@gmail.com

I get unknown error logging on to the server message.

if possible, remove my account from the server and clean the DB so I can log in please..

Much appreciated.

I expected as much. I'll return the email in the game server to what it was... and edit the forums email to match. That way you do not have to start a new account on the server.

It will take a few minutes, I'll let you know when its done.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2008, 12:12:54 pm »
Oh crap, you know what, its been a while since I've done this stuff. I should have restarted the server after changing your email yesterday as it'd need to republish the data on the switch. I also forgot to cheek if you were logged in at the time...

I'll do as I described above but this time I'll take the game server down to do it.

This might also explain last nights instability.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2008, 12:20:31 pm »
The email address for the gamepy account you created your server account with originally had a capital P right?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2008, 12:34:49 pm »
OK, server is back up, your email address now has a Capital P in both the game and Forums databases, I think that is the case you used with the original gamespy login right?

(that's it this time I'm hitting the kit code to change it to be case insensitive, this bug has gone on long enough.)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2008, 01:12:08 pm »
web map is working correctly.. let me see if I can log into the server.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2008, 01:47:49 pm »
Everything is good now.. Thanks Bonk

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2008, 01:57:08 pm »
Everything is good now.. Thanks Bonk

Hurray!  ;D

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2008, 02:02:54 pm »

This sounds exactly like what The Forge was doing previously.
"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2008, 02:08:35 pm »
This sounds exactly like what The Forge was doing previously.

Well lets see if it happens again. If it does I will determine the cause.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2008, 08:38:59 pm »
Just went down at 6:40 p.m. PST. It was very sloooooow right before it crashed.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2008, 08:51:57 pm »
It's not me.. I haven't been on since my last posting.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2008, 11:48:56 pm »
Just went down at 6:40 p.m. PST. It was very sloooooow right before it crashed.

Looks like another backup event. Lets give it a few more days to see if a pattern develops, but I suspect this too will pass.

I want to get some time on there myself yet!