Topic: Silent Hunter 4  (Read 11587 times)

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
Re: Silent Hunter 4
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »
Whoop dee doo.  game came into today, installed it.  patched it.

And have now spent 2.5 hours surfing the forums trying to figure out why the stupid game won't even load.  I click on the exe file, and it goes straight to a mish mash of graphics craziness and locks my computer. 

Needless to say, this is going back to Ubisoft on Friday, if it's not working by then.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 09:14:33 pm »
Ah yes, the AP method of fixing games has worked, sort of.

Here's the patented method:

2x Check to make sure all drivers up to date.
Install Game. 
Patch Game.
Try to run game. 
Crash.
Say some choice cuss words.
Try to run game.
Crash.
Get mad.
Go on forums.
Search for answer.
Exhaust all possible solutions.
Try to run game.
Crash.
Go on forum and rant about a pos game.
Go back and try "one more thing".
Game runs.

I had to delete the intro movies.  I have no idea why.

So I get into the game, run the first tutorial (terrible tutorial btw, I hvae no idea what I'm supposed to do except go to marked spot.  How I find this marked spot?  No idea.  No clue where the marked spot is on the map. )  I move ship to flank speed.  I turn the ship.  I dive.  Then I get a message saying mission failed.  I roll my eyes, the start shooting my deck gun at ships in the harbor.  I blow up a friendly PT Boat.  The game crashes.    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 08:14:03 am »
Well made it through the first three tutorials.  I figured out that the "mission incomplete" isn't an indication that you "failed and can't do the objective", it's an indication that you haven't done the objective.

Sunk that cruiser in tutorial #3, have no idea how, just looked at the thing in my periscope and clicked "fire" a few times.  I don't have "realistic torpedo attacks" on though, just "point and click".

So I went to tutorial #4 the convoy attack, spent an hour getting into position, dodging the DD's... then fired all my torps, and the promptly turned a 180 and went after the DD's that were about 5 miles behind me.  Gotta figure out how to lock a target I guess :)

Then I got a little bored waiting for the torps to re-load, surfaced, and started firing the deck gun at everything in sight.  Needless to say, the DD's came running after me, I knocked out all their guns (they must be on "tutorial-easy" mode)... then they tried to ram me, but int he course of my maneauvering, I ended up ramming one of them.  That was pretty cool.  Then a couple of freighters ended up sinking me with their guns.   That was kinda neat.  The graphics are awesome btw.

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008, 04:28:58 am »
 HAHA

first patrol sank 3 kamakazi DD's and 1 frieghter but got sunk myself.   :D :D :D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:22 am »
how do you get a complete on a photo recon mission.  Haven't spent three days in the harbor yet, but have sunk three cargo ships at dock. Not sure how to finish off the mission tho.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:51 pm »
You need to photograph the enemy ships in harbor through your periscope (TBT won't work).  Lock the scope onto a target and click the 'take photograph' button that'll light up when you do.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 05:30:59 pm »
Just bought the game, but I haven't played it yet.  Still have 1.4 patch which is 200 mb.  I can say that I like the bonus material that cane with it, especially the documentary dvd.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 05:54:36 pm »
I have seen mention of locking my periscope on a target, but do not see where I would click/keystroke to lock it.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 07:17:55 pm »
Default is the 'L' button.  You'll know you're locked on when you can't move the scope.  Hit 'L' again to unlock.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline manitoba1073

• Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 09:56:52 pm »

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 01:12:36 pm »
Anyone here play on full realism?

To the point where you use the TDC instead of just "up scope, lock target, fire"?

And also where you don't get the nice map updates, but have to figure it out on yoru own?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 02:02:24 pm »

To the point where you use the TDC instead of just "up scope, lock target, fire"?

And also where you don't get the nice map updates, but have to figure it out on yoru own?

not yet, I want to get used to the game controls and they way it runs before I pull up full realism.  truely, full realism isn't really realism.  On a sub you have a crew that would do alot of the work for you.  YOu would have to call out the range, bearing, etc for torpedos, but the map and stuff would be done by the crew.

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
When is Silent Hunter '69 coming out? The one with the U-Boat commander in his Pontiac, a narrow bridge, a Senate staffer, and lot's of booze!  :laugh:

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 02:41:59 pm »
When is Silent Hunter '69 coming out? The one with the U-Boat commander in his Pontiac, a narrow bridge, a Senate staffer, and lot's of booze!  :laugh:

I think they are still trying to get all the details down of the launching of the U-Boat.  The game is hard to write when the facts don't add up, would make it alittle unplayable.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2008, 04:03:14 pm »
Welp, I'm on my first career on "normal level" (anyone know how to creat custom settings for careers?).

Did the old "drive into Tokyo and take pictures".  That was pretty easy, except I got too close to a shore battery while riding ont he surfact and took some damage at 32x speed before I could slow down and dive.

Currently on second patrol, just sank 3 merchants surrounded by 4 DD's in front of Rabaul, crash dived to about 300feet, and now I have to slink outta there without dying. 

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2008, 07:16:19 pm »

Indeed.

Offline manitoba1073

• Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 11:39:26 pm »
heres a few SS for you guys.  :laugh: