Topic: What's the best Diablo 2 clone to hit the shelves in the last 4 years?  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
My wife was a Diablo2 nut and we used to play together. But I played that game so many times that I think if I ever see it onscreen again, I'll puke. Really, I get sick thinking about it. So what's a good game that's come out since that captures the essentials; free form dungeon roaming, collecting lots and lotsa items, scavenging and getting better stuff all along the way? My wife's fav for D2 was the finding of things she could hoarde. Sometimes I think if she wasn't such an avid fisherman that if I gave her a metal detector she'd roam the beach from sun up to sundown... She just loves to find stuff...

Diz

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: What's the best Diablo 2 clone to hit the shelves in the last 4 years?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:12:24 am »
Sacred/Underworld and soon Sacred 2   http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/

Titan quest is pretty good also.

how you been Dizzy?

I played as much Sacred in the day as I did SFC. Great game.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:12:19 am »
I been sick dude. Bad sick. Im getting better tho.

Hey, Sacred looks good. I cked out about 70 screens and it looks like a better looking diablo2. Dunno if the gameplay is better, but ive read that the hack and slash isnt as easy and doesnt work as good as in diablo2. Did the developers fix that? Combat has to be fun or this game wouldnt have such a big following. Got some questions if u can answer off the top of ur head. If u dont know, Ill look into it. But seems u know this game.

1st off, looks like there are some expansions. Is the game still sold where I can buy it and the expansions?

And if I install the whole deal, do I start off at the beginning or do I need to play one version all the way thru before I load the expansions?

Does the game have mods and special cool download enhancements?

I saw it had multiplayer, but can it run from a local area network or peer to peer?

Which is better, Titan Quest or Sacred?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:54:10 am »
Well, I found Sacred Gold at a New Zealand Store... Seems Americans cant get anything but the toned down teen rated version of the game, so I'm going for a UK version so I can get the blood and gore nastiness. Wonder if that's supported with patches? I'm going to look into this more.

Offline likkerpig

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:38:41 am »
I've read that Hellgate: London is much like Diablo 2.
The reviews on it are mixed, I guess it came out of the gate with some big bugs... they should be patched though.
Another one is World of Warcrack, it was made by the same people and shares some of the same gaming feel... but it comes with a monthly fee (so does Hellgate: London, but that is optional in that game) and if you like it, well it can be very addictive.
"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:07:42 am »
Hate Sacred.  Loved Diablo 2.  Sacred is NOT a good Diablo 2 clone in my opinion.

Hellgate London is NOT like Diablo 2.  Hellgate London stunk for me as well.

Titanquest was adequete.

Dungeon Siege 2 was perhaps the best D2 clone for a computer overall, if one doesn't get stuck on Graphics.  Excellent, though in someways it's the best D2 clone because...it copies D2 in many ways.

At least best D2 clone on PC.

I'd say the best games that are Diablo 2 clones actually have come out on consoles in the past few years.  The Snowblind series of games are good candidates inclusive of the Baldurs Gate, Justice League Heroes, and Champions of Norrath.

In particular, Champions of Norrath is hands down THE BEST Diablo 2 clone type game out there in my opinion.  It's also only going to play on a PS2 or PS3.

If you like superheroes, you can also get Ravensoft's clone of that type of game, into the X-men universe with X-men Legends, though for PC only X-men Legends 2 came out.  Following suite, but diverging from the straight Diablo 2 type clone, is Marvel Ultimate Alliance which changes things up from the standard formula a little, but still quite good.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 02:32:58 pm »
See I felt just the opposite. I liked Sacred alot more then Diablo 1 or 2.

Dizzy, you can play the first or jump right to the expansion at any time. Depending on what character you play, you will have a differant start for each.

I know Gamestop/EB has the Direct2Drive or download of the game.My son Nathan has had my copy since two rth of july get to gethers ago. If he doesn't get them back, It's foot up the ass for hi, :D

The dungeon siege games are good. Pnuemonic81 helped with models on the first expansion and on #2. But It's still not Diablo clone. They are even more Linear then Diablo. That's not saying I don't love the games.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:23:51 pm »
I liked the 1st dungeon siege... till I got to the castle and it got really hard and repetative. Did I say repetitive? So I decided to try 2 and it was the same damned thing. Got sick of the linear exploration and did I say it got repetative?

So Direct2Drive, huh? I'll ck that out... But that's the teen rated version of the game, huh? I want the gore and guts nastiness so I'm gonna check out the New Zealand version and have it shipped here mb. But I want to ck out Titan Quest 1st b4 I decide.

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:03:02 pm »
If she's mainly just big on the collecting and you like playing co-op, I'd consider Guild Wars.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 11:30:54 pm »
Hey Joker. But aint that a pay per month thing like likkerpigs London HellGate? Dont think I want to go there.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 12:04:04 am »
I know Gamestop/EB has the Direct2Drive or download of the game.My son Nathan has had my copy since two rth of july get to gethers ago. If he doesn't get them back, It's foot up the ass for hi, :D

Where is this? I cant find it.

Also, will sacred display properly on my widescreen?

Edit: I looked at titan quest, but imo, it seems kinda short. With sacred u have tons and tons of quests and a truly free form exploration method. Moght be more fun in the long run.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 01:05:56 am »

Where is this? I cant find it.

Also, will sacred display properly on my widescreen?

Edit: I looked at titan quest, but imo, it seems kinda short. With sacred u have tons and tons of quests and a truly free form exploration method. Moght be more fun in the long run.

http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=Sacred&N=0&find.x=0&find.y=0&find=Search

There you go for Direct Download. 30 bucks right now. Wait tell ya play the Seraphim or the Demoness. They just rock.

As per guild wars, It's alot of fun also. and no Monthly charge ever. We have  a small group right here playing it. Once you buy the game(s) you are free to play forever. It's a good game, and is somewhat open as far as quests go.

stephen

Stephen

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 04:59:19 am »
Found the Plus version for 20 bucks at direct2drive or someplace. The patch listed for the game when I played it is 1.8.36. The one on the website goes up to 1.8.26. So apparently the one I have is an unlisted patch and possibly newer patch.

I played it a bit and am very happy. It's very much like Diablo2 imo but with more quests and better graphics and after maybe an hour of adventuring and buying stuff for the wood elf I made, I handed it over to the wifey and she's pretty happy about it too. She's currently searching a dungeon. :D

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I found something that we will be happy with. One reason I chose this game over Titan Quest was that her computer has a celeron processor and so Sacred would run faster. Also, and in no small part, Sacred 2 is coming out. And once she gets hooked on Sacred, she'll probably want me to pick up sacred 2 when it comes out... And the graphics on sacred 2 Xbox360 version look sweet. Thanks again for all the help peeps. MUCH appreciated.

Hey Stephen, in 20 words or less how do u use combat arts? Im never one for reading manuals.

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 10:04:03 am »
I am downloading the Sacred demo now. I hope it's like Diablo.

Damn, when are they coming out with Diablo 3? LOL

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 12:35:17 pm »
I just finished the demo and had a lot of fun. It's not as good as Diablo, but it is fun and it's close.

The demo only lets you play for an hour and then stops. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll have to check our eBay for a copy.

I do have one question. When you are looking for someone (like the blacksmith), how do you find them? I've been looking all over them and could not find them. I think the arrows tell you something but they are hard to read.

Thanks

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »
It's been so long since I've been able to play this game, I can't really remember on all of it. IIRC the blacksmith is NE of the small town. Follow the green arrow, as this is your current quest.

Dizzy, I know you can place them in the task bar, But man... I've got to get my game back from Nathan. It's ironic, both games I own. When I loaned him Titan quest, he played it through gave it back to me, and the third disk was scratched beyond repair.

So If anyone has Titan quest, and wants to set me up with an ISO of disk three, I'd be a happy man.

Stephen

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 07:04:13 pm »
Hey Joker. But aint that a pay per month thing like likkerpigs London HellGate? Dont think I want to go there.

No sir.  It is free.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »

No sir.  It is free.

So guild wars is free? Ok I'll ck that out too. But right now happily playing Sacred.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 08:48:34 pm »

No sir.  It is free.

So guild wars is free? Ok I'll ck that out too. But right now happily playing Sacred.

Well, free is a bit much to say about Guild Wars.  It is free to play, but you still have to buy the game to start it.  My son is playing right next to me, I have an account on this one also.  It's not a bad game.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 09:53:23 am »
Diablo 2 Stephen?  Hrm.. I don't know.. I'm still trying to finish "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards".
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz