Topic: What's going on with Stargate Atlantis??  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
What's going on with Stargate Atlantis??
« on: February 09, 2008, 01:29:58 pm »
I was visiting the SciFi Channel website last night and noticed Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) is now on the show.  Is she now regularly appearing on the show?  I did not like SG:A from the outset.  I hate those stupid vampire-like enemies.  Has the show gotten any better?

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: What's going on with Stargate Atlantis??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:34:54 pm »
I kinda like it, Amanda Tapping is the head there in Atlantis. The gal from Firefly (thanks I was trying to place her yesterday), is the head Medic on the show. It's starting to find It's own Niche, But then again, I'm that one guy who Liked Flash Gordon, and loved the Season Finale yesterday, so Take it for what It's worth. Bubble gum SciFi I guess.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:03:04 pm »
what atlantis play again?, what about sg1?

heee what season is sga and sg1?

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 03:26:19 pm »
It's not bad- but some of the stuff is kinda annoying. Amanda Tapping (playing the same character) seems to have almost no scientific knowledge anymore, and while it's great (imo) that she no longer can whip up the macguffin of the week to save the day, it's still kinda distracting to watch teh same character who had some amusing moments with McKay earlier basically sit around and explain to her the science of each weeks show.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:33:56 am »
what atlantis play again?, what about sg1?

heee what season is sga and sg1?

Atlantis is the spin off show to Stargate SG1.
SG1 finished at the end of the 10th season, but there are two straight to DVD films coming out. The first will finish off the Ori Story arch, and the second will be a stand alone episode.

Stargate: Atlantis is currently showing it's 4th season, with a 5th season confirmed and being produced at the moment I believe.
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 09:51:25 am »
I never liked the Anubis, Ori or Wraith story lines.  They seemed to me to be just a "We finished the last enemy how do we make a more powerful one?".  They did need a new enemy but it didn't need to be more powerful, just different. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 08:16:58 pm »
I never liked the Anubis, Ori or Wraith story lines. They seemed to me to be just a "We finished the last enemy how do we make a more powerful one?". They did need a new enemy but it didn't need to be more powerful, just different.
Well with the Ori I would agree that they are definitely down the lines of more powerful train of thought, but I wouldn't necessarily call the Wraith more powerful considering how their ships are really far more primitive the the enemies of SG1(no shields, slower hyperdrive, Organic based ships). Just far far more of them.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:37:40 pm »
I like to think of SGA as a group of explorers that had to become very successful scavengers, just to be able to survive.  They came across a couple ZPMs before finally getting their hands on me through the SGC, and they were still trying to find more efficient sources of energy to power the city, and then they drain their only ZPM.

Then, they manage to take back the city, and have at least one ZPM after that, but they drain it trying to escape, and steal another one to survive.

All the while still maintaining trading relationships with various other groups of humans in the galaxy, and helping them against the Wraith.

I agree however on Amanda Tapping's role in SGA.  Her character has become less technologically capable than as it was back in SG1, but at times she has shown she's still got some mad skills.

I hear though that in season 5 she'll be more of a guest star as Robert Picardo's character becomes commander of Atlantis.  And I hear that the character of Dr. Carson Beckett might make appearances in season 5 as well.  He's going to be making appearances in season 4.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »
I never liked the Anubis, Ori or Wraith story lines. They seemed to me to be just a "We finished the last enemy how do we make a more powerful one?". They did need a new enemy but it didn't need to be more powerful, just different.

Well with the Ori I would agree that they are definitely down the lines of more powerful train of thought, but I wouldn't necessarily call the Wraith more powerful considering how their ships are really far more primitive the the enemies of SG1(no shields, slower hyperdrive, Organic based ships). Just far far more of them.

I'd have to check the actual timing but didn't the Atlantis expedition launch before the Ori were encountered? 

In most ways the Wraith are a bigger threat than Anubis because much of the threat of Anubis was tied to himself whereas the Wraith are an entire galaxy wide species.   Also the Wraith are facing a few hundred people equiped with one Ancient installation which they can't fully power or use.  Anubis had Earth, the To'Kra and potentially the Asgard to deal with.  Remember also that the Wraith are still at the peak of their power, a peak at which they defeated the Ancients, forcing them to abandon the entire Pegasus galaxy to the Wraith.

Note: I left the replicators off the list but they are just more steps on the power escalation list.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:26 pm »
Yep, the Atlantis expedition launched a little over a full year before the first encounter with the Ori.  I think it was 2 years.  Can't be too sure.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 11:44:56 pm »
I watched a couple of season 4 episodes and I was not terribly impressed.  While it was fantastic to hear Jewel Staite speak in her lower and serious register (Yohzah!!!) instead of her lilty Kaylee voice, I don't think that is going to be enough for me to stick with the show.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 09:07:26 am »
Yep, the Atlantis expedition launched a little over a full year before the first encounter with the Ori. I think it was 2 years. Can't be too sure.
Yep. Begining of Season 8 of SG1 was the start of SGA Season 1.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 05:57:06 pm »
What was limiting the Wraith power was the infighting for insufficient food supplies. They ALL came out of hibernation at the same time and at a point where the human species hadn't yet flourished enough again to support them.

I have yet to see the fourth season at all. I gave up TV so I have to wait for the DVDs to come out.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.