Topic: Like Politics?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Like Politics?
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:16:07 pm »
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Like Politics?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:07:40 pm »
Interesting, I've had this game since the race between Bush and Kerry...

The political machine

http://www.politicalmachine.com/index.aspx?c=1

I might have to grab that one there Dracho.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:05:09 pm »
Thanks for the tip.

I'll let you know how it is.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50:16 pm »
So far, it's pretty good. Easy to play.

I already played my first game as the U.S., lost the house in the mid-term elections and then got stomped in the presidential election. Game over.

Started up my second and doing much better.

Slashed government expenditures by going for a defensive military which balanced the budget in a couple months allowing me to lower everybody's income taxes with the savings. Improved public transportation and solved the pollution problem. Right now the patriots don't like me so well due to me slashing the military. The religious folks are gritching about me teaching evolution in the schools and yanking their school subsidies and the capitalists are not so fond of me slapping strict environmental laws on them even though I significantly lowered their corporation taxes and the economy is doing well. Must have been from yanking their tax shelters and slapping that huge luxury goods tax on them. Heh.

The Conservatives are loving me, and the Liberals are learning to like me. Must have been that pot legalization I did.

Things are looking good but close for a second term this time.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:58:40 pm »
Second term here I come. Promised to increase equality and cut the poverty rate by 20%.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:16:09 pm »

Ooh, I'm intrigued.  Thanks for the tip, Dracho!  I'll look for it the next time in in a store.

But, maybe I should wait for the patch.  Any game in which Stumpy gets a 2nd term is clearly broken.   ;)
(Just kidding.)

-S'Cipio 
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:22:57 pm »
Heh. The capitalists staged a miltary coup and shipped me off to South America.

Figures.

So much for democracy.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
Heh. The capitalists staged a miltary coup and shipped me off to South America.

Figures.

So much for democracy.

Vive La Revolution!    :rockinband: :rockinband: :rockinband:

OK, now I really have to try this game.  How long before the peasants behead me?

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 03:06:44 pm »
OK, now I really have to try this game.  How long before the peasants behead me?

I bet on a coup from among your most trusted advisors, the concentration of power in few hands will make you a ripe target.   ;D

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:08:10 pm »
The game is illustrative in that it really is a balancing act.

Sometimes you gotta placate some people you'd rather not.

Just like the real thing.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 03:11:34 pm »

I give Scippy a week in office then.   :P

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:50 pm »
Looks good.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:39 pm »
I'm going to move this to the other games forum, so non-H&S subscribers can read it.

I was thinking about getting this, then I saw they've redone the Close Combat games (which I loved), and also have a Close Combat Modern Combat game.. which tempts me sorely..
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 10:46:44 pm »
Move Successful
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »

I give Scippy a week in office then.   :P

Pffft!  You underestimate my use of death squads.  Useful things, those death squads.

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 05:31:08 am »
I'm a two termer   :)

Course I got ran out on a rail at the end of the second due to doubling the national debt. Slashed income and corporate taxes to get a handle on tax evasion and couldn't recover.

Look up Democracy 2 as well and see how the two compare.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:54 am »
I'm going to move this to the other games forum, so non-H&S subscribers can read it.

I was thinking about getting this, then I saw they've redone the Close Combat games (which I loved), and also have a Close Combat Modern Combat game.. which tempts me sorely..

Close Combat 2 was THE game that got me into gaming in the first place.  I still play the game from time to time!

My brother and I always manage to get a few CC3 matches on when he's in town or I"m visiting him.  It's great to hear your own sniper shot ring out, and then a "g-damnit" come from the other room.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.