Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 1594 times)

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Supreme Commander
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:07 am »
No, I'm not playing it right now... I was wondering who was and how good it is. I'm thinking about buying it in a bit, so I was hoping for a review form a source I could trust first.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: Supreme Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:39:08 pm »
Hmmm...

Well, it lives up to the hype.  It's very big.  Once you know a build order, you can actually make the game go faster...but faster is not as fast as other RTS games.  I find the games are more tactical the way I play instead of strategic anyways, despite what they say about being strategic instead of tactical.

You always play zoomed out (or so I do).  Some people are big fans.  I can't say I am.  Since I'm not a huge fan, it's hard to really give it a fair review.

I'd say to give the Demo a shot.  The Demo is actually a good representation for a taste of what the rest of the game is like.  If you REALLY enjoy the Demo, you'll probably like the game.  If you like aspects of the Demo, but get bored (like me), you MIGHT enjoy the game, but be aware that if you think the demo mission is long and get's boring...well...you just MIGHT get bored with many portions of the game's campaign.  If you don't like the Demo...it's a good gamble you won't like the game.

The game has some rather awesome ideas, and is great for what it sets out to do.  It DOES live up to everything they said it would in my opinion, however, I found that after the Demo for C&C came out, and I tried it...I ended up playing a DEMO (C&C3 demo) MORE than the full game of SC.  But that's more of a speedy high and fast game vs. a build up game with hundreds of troops.

I think the micromanaging of SC with that many troops is what turns me off...but for many people, that's what turns them on.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:02:56 pm »
Just OOC, Dash, is there a sandbox mode where you can just have some free play, or is it all scripted campaign.

I don't like games that have just storyline.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Major A Payne

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:11:22 am »
Carney. If you've ever played TA then Supreme Commander is just a massively larger version of it with far updated graphics. All the usual RTS game modes are in there and whilst the campaign is not to bad at all (as far as I'm concerned) you have to remember that with ALL games of this genre the AI is never going to be as good as the human player unless it cheats heavily. However, as Dash suggested grab the demo. Its pretty conclusive as to what the complete game plays like.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:34:39 am »
Just OOC, Dash, is there a sandbox mode where you can just have some free play, or is it all scripted campaign.

I don't like games that have just storyline.

As Payne stated, it has the game modes that other RTS games do, inclusive of a skirmish/mp modes.

I haven't finished the campaign however so I haven't actually tried them out to see how they work or anything.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Skaren

• http://www.evensong.us/images/avatars/ban.jpg
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Resistance is Futile
    • SFC Campaign System
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 03:31:17 pm »
I saw a review of this on the G4 channel and it looked great.  Reminded me of Star Craft/Brood War games we played back in the day.

Keep up the feedback as to how it might compare with that older game ?

Is it multiplayer ?  Anyone try it.  I am worried with all the units it will crash ?
SFC:OPCS

StarFleet Command: Orion Pirates Campaign System

http://sfbuaw.com/intro.php

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:49:28 pm »
Meet the specs and run it properly it shouldn't crash.  It's not like Starcraft.  At least not to me.

It's...different.  Much greater scale...perhaps like Rise of Nations...but different...with a bigger scale...but not quite as grand a scale...if that makes any sort of sense.

-------

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 01:53:37 am »
It's been awhile since anyone's replied but since I got the game a little while ago I'll comment on it.

If you liked Total Annihilation you will like this since it is basically TA2 but since the guy couldn't get the rights he called it by a different name... Heck even the storyline is a direct iteration of the original...

Game balance is skewed too much towards turtling and massive defenses tho instead of raiding. The pathing is just as bad as TA's and I'm wondering if they updated it at all  ;). The units are beautifully designed and give each side a very unique look and feel. Apparently the game is very moddable tho so if you absolutely cannot stand something you can change it... (being able to make a nigh impenetrable shield wall easily is one of the things that is a problem)

Basically its very polished and patched up at least I've had no problems. Late game it goes from being RTS to Sim City online apparently but I've only played single player against the ai's and they are quite nice for my skill level and if I wanted to be called names I'd fire up Starcraft.

It's also a VERY resource intense game. Computers that weren't top of the line 2 years ago will be hard pressed but even on lower quality its still a nice to look at

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:52:20 pm »
I picked up Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance today for about 30 bucks.

I must say, I'm impressed. I never tried the first one, But this one is pretty fun. The Interface is pretty intuitive, and clean. Chris Taylor has done a really good job on his games lately.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War