Topic: How do you fly an Orion ship??  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
How do you fly an Orion ship??
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:09:51 am »
Beeblebrox's thread about an OP mission got me thinking: How do you fly an Orion ship?

-There don't seem to be nearly as many tactics on the web for the Pirates. The only I could find were Tourney tactics for SFB, where there were option mounts.

-Also, they seem to be really underclassed compared to the Empires. For example, an Orion war cruiser might have 25 or 27 engine power, while an Empire CW will have anywhere from 31-38 power and the same movement cost. Orions seem to be ships that would use finesse tactics, so how would one go fast enough and keep the range open?

-The only advantage I can find for the Jolly Roger is that the ships are usually dirt cheap, BPV wise. In a point-balanced matchup they could be the heavyweight ships.

-Does flying as an Orion depend on using Engine Doubling?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: How do you fly an Orion ship??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:53:20 pm »
I would say yes, it does depend on Engine  Doubilng.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:54:36 pm »
Beeblebrox's thread about an OP mission got me thinking: How do you fly an Orion ship?

-There don't seem to be nearly as many tactics on the web for the Pirates. The only I could find were Tourney tactics for SFB, where there were option mounts.

-Also, they seem to be really underclassed compared to the Empires. For example, an Orion war cruiser might have 25 or 27 engine power, while an Empire CW will have anywhere from 31-38 power and the same movement cost. Orions seem to be ships that would use finesse tactics, so how would one go fast enough and keep the range open?

-The only advantage I can find for the Jolly Roger is that the ships are usually dirt cheap, BPV wise. In a point-balanced matchup they could be the heavyweight ships.

-Does flying as an Orion depend on using Engine Doubling?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

Flying as a pirate definitely depends in large part on engine doubling.  However it also depends on rigorous power management and critical timing of weapon fire.  Obviously engine doubling can't be used full-time so it is imperative to have a plan laid in ahead of time as to when you will allow your engineer to do it.  Two key uses are for attack runs on heavily armed opponents (in order to reinforce the shields) or for making well protected high-speed getaways after a close range strike (for speed and shield reinforcement).  Another handy use is to quickly refill the phaser capacitor and then shut down engine doubling, using the excess power (from no longer needing to recharge the capacitor) for either speed, shields, or EW. 

Firing all weapons to depletion is rarely a good idea for pirates.  Because pirate ships are extremely over-armed when compared to available standard power the captain must be extremely tight-fisted with weapons power and weapons fire.  Yes, you can hit with an alpha strike that will do heavy damage to that F-CA but realize that suddenly having every weapon on the ship sucking power will completely screw your previous settings for things such as the shields and EW.  This, of course, leaves your ship vulnerable to return fire because of suddenly-weakened shields or a sudden lack of EW to confuse the enemy's targeting sensors. 

"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:06:37 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that pirates wouldn't have to depend on engine doubling, it's much to risky of a trick for me lol. Yes, the power management would seem to be very important for Orions.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:16:40 pm »
By using engine doubling an Orion can "mimic" a larger ship. You can increase your shielding fairly dramatically and handle a larger strike without internals than a comparable empire ship. Unfortunately shield reinforcement doesn't seem to be properly coded. If you take a fairly small hit immediately followed by a large alpha strike it seems to get through the reinforcement that should still be left over from the 1st strike. I haven't actually playtested this, but looking at the shield strength it appears to work this way.

Proper ED, as described in the SFB tournie manual, would rock!!!
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »
The last time I looked at the ship list, pirates mostly had a shield regen rate of 1, with a few ships getting a rate of 2.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:27:51 pm »
The last time I looked at the ship list, pirates mostly had a shield regen rate of 1, with a few ships getting a rate of 2.

It's been a while since I edited a shiplist. I don't recall a "shield regen rate". You can increase the shield regen capability with labs. Is that what you mean? Or have I forgotten something?
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?