Topic: Paul McGillion, Carson Becket on SG: Atlantis up for Montgomery Scott  (Read 2237 times)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
McGillion up for 'Star Trek' role

Monday - October 1, 2007 | by David Read

Word has trickled down the pipe that Paul McGillion ("Dr. Carson Beckett") recently auditioned for the role of Montgomery Scott in the eleventh "Star Trek" motion picture. From the mouth of Paul himself, GateWorld is pleased to confirm that this is so!

"I can't tell you a whole lot," McGillion said, "but I can confirm that I did indeed audition for the role of Scotty in the new 'Star Trek' movie. It was obviously thrilling to be able to go in and read for that character, seeing as I grow up watching Star Trek with my family."

It's no surprise that Scotty was McGillion's favorite Trek character while growing up, considering both have roots in Scotland. Additionally, both actors have roots in Vancouver. "It was a great honor [to audition], and obviously I don't want to sound cliché about it, but it would be a privilege to try to follow in James Doohan's footsteps."

Doohan's son, Chris, campaigned for his father's old role, but has stepped aside and endorsed McGillion instead. "I know that the chances that I would be the next Scotty are slim to none," Doohan told TrekMovie.com. "That being said, I think Paul McGillion is a GREAT choice for the role of Scotty. He has a great accent and I think that he actually looks like my father."

"I can't say enough about that," Paul told us. "Thank you, Chris Doohan! I've never met him. That was really a surprise and a thrill. He said some nice things about me. That's really kind of him. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by that."
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Re: Paul McGillion, Carson Becket on SG: Atlantis up for Montgomery Scott
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:22:31 pm »
 :thumbsup:

CAn't believe they killed him off SG Atlantis, but that would be cool to see.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:58:09 pm »
Gods above and below, Hexx and I agree.  Carson as Scotty would be great.  I really miss his character.  He was Rodney's best love interest.
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:29:38 pm »
Not a bad idea. Carson always seemed "twitchy" to me but I guess that was the character. I can see him as an intense, intelligent, focused engineer with a taste for the greener things in life.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 05:04:42 am »
Oh great!  Will he throw LP's at the engines when they aren't working right? ;)
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:11:15 pm »
Oh great!  Will he throw LP's at the engines when they aren't working right? ;)

No, but if any space monsters try to attack...
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.