Topic: Land of the Giants on DVD  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Land of the Giants on DVD
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:39:51 am »
Canadian Link
American Link

I just stumbled across this on another site.  As a contemporary with TOS I thought some might find it interesting though expensive.  Release July 24th.

Considering the current exchange rates the Canadian price is extremely high compared to the U.S. price.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Land of the Giants on DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:54:30 am »
I used to love this show when I was growing up. $60.00 American is not bad for 51 episodes. I know at the end of the month, I plan on grabbing Eureka season 1.

With a new series of Flash Gordon coming to SciFI channel, and Bionic Women coming out Sept. 26th, I hope they release some of those old series again. Sure I have the old Buster Crabbe serials on DVD, but the 6Mil dollar man and the Bionic women I have never been able to find on DVD.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:59:58 am »
I used to love this show when I was growing up. $60.00 American is not bad for 51 episodes. I know at the end of the month, I plan on grabbing Eureka season 1.

Stephen

Sorry to disappoint you but you misread the price.

List Price:     $229.98
Price:    $169.99
You Save:    $59.99 (26%)

The Canadian Price
List Price:     CDN$ 349.98
Price:    CDN$ 244.99
You Save:    CDN$ 104.99 (30%)

I don't see any way they can justify the ~50% price boost in Canada. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:08:39 pm »
Oh man, Boy I did, I just saw the red numbers and IT was you Save etc.

Sorry about that, Yeah that's abit too high indeed. Esp. since I would be the only one watching it. Most of the other family don't care too much for old shows, unless there Western or WW2 movies. And IT only took a decade to get them watching them.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:28:26 pm »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:10 am »
Gary Conway married "Valerie" when the show finished.

There was an interview on BBC TV with Jonathan Ross, for a film review show, about the same time as the Lost In Space movie, with Gary Conway and "Valerie" at their home. They even had a matchstick and razor blade axe propped up against Gary's chair.

The interview was about the possibilty of a Land Of The Giants movie, set 20 odd years after the crash, where the survivours are still stranded, have lost the ship and have resigned themselves that they're stranded for good. They've created a community, along with other survivours of previous and subsequent aircraft, spaceship and maritime people also starnded on the planet by the mysterious cloud.

If you remember one episode, a giant had recreated a model Earth town based on literature he'd found in a crashed airliner.

Some of the cast was to have been killed or captured.

I liked Land Of The Giants as it was one of the more intelligent Irwin Allen TV shows.

The special effects and sets won Emmy's back then. It would all be CGI now.

I don't know what happended to the project, but it would have been an interesting movie if they'd bothered to make it.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!