Topic: The League is ready, Bring on the NFL!!! (DYnaverse FFL)  (Read 15895 times)

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
Re: The League is ready, Bring on the NFL!!! (DYnaverse FFL)
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 10:58:57 am »
By our current settings... if Sexy Rexy throws and interception that is returned by the Packers for a TD.  The Bears Defense/ST has GIVEN UP 7 points.  D/ST is based on end score, not how many points are scored on the defense. 

In my other two leagues we remedied this by not giving out points for final score.  In other words if your defense gets 4 sacks a fumble and an Int you get 8 points.  It doesn't matter if that is in a game that was a shutout or they gave up 50 points.  Return touchdowns (Devon Hester for bears) are counted for the Defense/ST  So in the above game if Devon returned a Kick for a TD they would get 14 points.

Basically it takes final score out of the scoring equation. 

GE-Raven

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 06:44:18 pm »
Man, I sucked bad this week.  It could be a long season....... :(

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 08:24:05 am »
The Wolfe's once again showed their dominance :-)

Of course in another league I played my wife....  I wish I could line it up so that happened on the same week in all leagues... rather than prolonging the abuse :-)

Actually I highly recommend that everyone gets their wife into fantasy football...  she was telling me to quiet down because the highlights were on espn!  Plus you can always have the fun of "side bets" that involves sexy clothing and/or hot neighbors.

:-)

GE-Raven

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 11:58:27 am »
Blah, you're a 1 and done team Raven.  Jus like dem packers.  (I say that, because on bears forum on the Chi-Trib page, a bunch of packer fans are babbling about how they're going to win the division, they're the best, Bears be lucky to go 7-9, etc., when Philly handed them that game).

Just wait till I play ya, I'll ding you by 80 points!  BOOK IT!
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 01:50:15 pm »
Blah, you're a 1 and done team Raven.  Jus like dem packers.  (I say that, because on bears forum on the Chi-Trib page, a bunch of packer fans are babbling about how they're going to win the division, they're the best, Bears be lucky to go 7-9, etc., when Philly handed them that game).

Just wait till I play ya, I'll ding you by 80 points!  BOOK IT!

LOL... I dunno I think the defense handed us the game.  And I would imagine that anyone that lives outside the state of Illinois would agree that there is far more to fear in the Philly offense than the Chicago one. 

That being said, Packers offense looked horrible.... to be expected when 1/2 your skill positions are rookies (Brett, Bubba, and Donald were the only guys who actually know the offense at this point).

All in all it was nice to see defense and special teams come up big.  However considering that since defenses discovered that Rex Grossman has no idea how to handle an "up the middle" blitz, it is pretty much the same thing in Chicago.  If the D don't win it, the O ain't gonna.

All in all it looks like 3 of the top 6 defenses (Patriots, Chargers, and Ravens) are in the NFC North.  Should be an interesting year.

Unless you hit me on a bye week (and even then) I will take half that 80 point ding, and let you only spot me 40 for $100.  :-)

GE-Raven

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 11:59:44 pm »
Oh man I can't believe I scraped by this week with a win. 
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 11:56:33 am »
Time to dump Rex! 

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 03:56:39 pm »
Time to dump Rex! 

By all means... time to resume the Orton era :-)

LOL

GE-Raven

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 04:31:48 pm »
Somewhere there's a list of QB's that have started for Chicago since Favre started his first game for the Pack.  It's probably like 100.

Orton did great that year -all things considered.  He came in as a rookie that didn't have any first team snaps until Grossman went down and then Quinn or Krenzel or whatever Bozo the Clown the bears had playing QB sucked dog.  I think he deserves a chance to play, if Griese doesn't pan out.  At least Orton is tall enough to see over the line and he doesn't make mistakes.  Plus, he's from Purdue, which is a QB university, so he can probalby throw the ball.  But I don't know.  the Bears are back at square 1 with QB imho, because Rex is finished.  It'll take a miracle for him to recover.  Lets go... clap clap... miracles...clap clap... lets go... miracles!!!

On another topic, (don't be shocked), yesterday, we were all reminded of what a great sportsman Brett Favre is.  Yeah, I hate him because the color of his jersey and all that, but when he threw that TD to Jennings to tie Marion's record, he didn't go into some "look at me" move, or some "camera-motion" by the goal post, sharpie in his sock, or a "lights-out celebration"... nope, none of that garbage.. what did he do?  He ran rull sprint downfield to congratulate his teammate, looked as happy as a junior football league player who just scored his first TD ever, and picked up and carried his teammate off the field.  THAT's how to celebrate a TD.

But then, wtf about not breaking the record in the last minute of the game, at home?  No way Favre was going to throw a pick at the 6 inch line in that game (the only possible reason I could think of to not throw it).  Not with the game he was having.  Not with 4 tries from the 1 yards line.  Not with the record on the line, and certainly not at the Frozen Tundra (er, 75 degress outside at kickoff?  Not exactly NFC North weather).  They should have let Favre throw it and break the record.  And most importantly, it would have given me another 6 points in my Yahoo league :)

Gotta love how both the Pats and the Packers took the "how to stop LT" scheme from the Bears.  It works.  Stop LT, pray gates doesn't hurt you too much, throw in a record tying game from a QB, and what do you get?  LT blowing up at Rivers on the sideline in the 4th.  LOL.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 04:44:46 pm »
Here I got it... check out these winners:

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan:  Legend has it that Ditka threatened to quit when he was overruled in the draft room about taking Harbaugh with the 26th pick of the 1987 draft.  Harbaugh was vilified at times by Bear fans, but is still the team's all-time leader in attempts, completions and ranks second to Luckman in passing yards.  After Harbaugh's seven seasons in Chicago, he signed with Indianapolis where he was voted to the Pro Bowl following the 1995 season.  Drafted: 1987 (1) Started in: 1988-1993 Released: 1994

Peter Tom Willis, Florida State:  Like all other backup quarterbacks, Willis was a very popular backup to fans: until he played.  He got his chance to start in 1992 when a frustrated Ditka benched Harbaugh.  Willis played pedestrian at best, throwing eight interceptions and four touchdowns in two starts.  Drafted: 1990 (3) Started in: 1992-1993 Released: 1994

Will Furrer, Virginia Tech:  Furrer was a strong-armed left-handed quarterback with promise.  The promise faded in his only start, Ditka's last game at Dallas.  He completed 9 of 25 passes for 89 yards and three interceptions against the Super Bowl-bound Cowboys.  Drafted: 1992 (4) Started in: 1992 Released: 1993

Erik Kramer, North Carolina State:  Kramer would be known as one of the top three quarterbacks in Bears history, with McMahon and Luckman, if he could have done it for more than one year. (what does that tell you about bears qb history lolol)  Kramer piloted Ron Turner's first brilliantly successful offense in 1995, setting Bears season records for attempts, completions, yards and touchdown passes.  But he was hurt in 1994, 96, and 98.  His original three-year deal, inked in 1994, was extended for two more in '98, but he was cut after the first year.  Signed: 1994 Started in: 1994-1998 Released: 1999

Steve Walsh, Miami:  Signed as a backup to Kramer in 1994, Walsh took over after a Kramer injury and guided the team to its first playoff appearance since 1991.  And its last playoff win since then.  He lost the battle for the starting job in 1995 to Kramer and warmed the bench that season.  Signed: 1994 Started in: 1994 Lost to free agency: 1996

Dave Krieg, Milton College:  Kreig was so old when the Bears signed him in 1996 that the college he played for no longer had a football team as of that point.  1996 was his 17th season in the NFL, and he was signed strictly as a backup.  With the Chicago Bears, however, that is an expectation to be playing by game five.  That's exactly what happened when a struggling Kramer was lost for the season with a neck disc injury.  Signed: 1996 Started in: 1996 Not re-signed: 1997

Rick Mirer, Notre Dame:  Dave Wannstedt's Chicago epitaph says something about trading for Rick Mirer.  Mirer's cost was a first-round pick, the 11th in the draft.  He lasted one hideous, awful season in Chicago.  He didn't even start the season, as Kramer was healed and Mirer looked terrible.  Traded for: 1997 Started in: 1997 Released: 1998

Steve Stenstrom, Stanford:  Stenstrom was one of several intriguing quarterbacks selected in the fourth round of the 1995 draft.  Kansas City drafted him, then tried to quickly release him to re-sign him to a lower salary that year.  The Bears jumped at the chance to steal the guy praised by Bill Walsh as a budget Joe Montana.  Stenstrom was putrid in his 1998 starts, relieving an again-injured Kramer.  Walsh then signed him in San Francisco and got to see how bad he was closeup.  Signed: 1995 Started In: 1998 Released: 1999

Moses Moreno, Colorado State:  Stenstrom was so bad that rookie seventh-round pick Moses Moreno started a game in 1998.  He injured his knee, ending his career for the Bears.  Drafted: 1998 (7) Started in: 1998 Released: 1999

Shane Matthews, Florida:  Matthews was a third-stringer for the Bears from 1993-1995, then again in 1996, and was brought back for a third time in 1999.  Following the release of Kramer, Matthews became the first starter for Gary Crowton's "razzle dazzle offense".  Matthews played admirably from 1999-2001, but lacked a big-time arm.  He struggled when he replaced Jim Miller following Miller's injury in the 2001 playoff game, and was not resigned.  Signed: 1993, 1996, 1999 Started in: 1999-2001 Not resigned: 2002

Cade McNown, UCLA:  Petulant, arrogant, smarmy, you name a few adjectives to describe the quarterback predicted to be the next Jim McMahon.  Declared that he didn't drink, smoke or have premarital sex, but he was indicted for misusing handicapped parking placards.  Angered his teammates so much that they reportedly threatened mutiny if he were started over Matthews in the final game of 2000.  Had brief stops in Miami and San Francisco but never threw another pass in the NFL following a final completion against Detroit in the 2000 finale.  Did pocket close to $20 million on his rookie deal.  Drafted: 1999 (1) Started in: 1999-2000 Traded: 2001

Jim Miller, Michigan State:  Miller was signed off the scrapheap in 1998 following Moreno's knee injury.  He was a longshot to make the roster in 1999.  He responded by throwing for huge numbers in Crowton's offense, then led the Bears to the playoffs in 2001.  Almost as oft-injured as McMahon.  Signed a five-year extension prior to the 2002 season, only completed one year on the deal.  Signed: 1998 Started in: 1999-2002 Released: 2003

Chris Chandler, Washington:  See Dave Krieg.  Again, wasn't supposed to have to play for Miller.  Again, had to replace Miller in week seven.  Chandler was as injury-prone as McMahon and Miller, and was knocked woozy in Champaign against Philadelphia.  Had to be dragged like an invalid to the medical trailer behind the Memorial Stadium scoreboard.  Turned in gritty performances in 2003 in relief of Kordell Stewart, but it was for naught.  Signed: 2002 Started in: 2002-2003 Not resigned: 2004

Henry Burris, Temple:  Touted as the biggest surprise from the CFL since, and better than, Jeff Garcia.  "Happy Hank" was his nickname.  One pathetic start in Chicago is his legacy.  Signed: 2002 Started in: 2002 Released: 2003

Kordell Stewart, Colorado:  See Henry Burris, but with a better NFL resume.  The Bears signed Stewart to a two-year deal over an available Jake Delhomme due to his experience, albeit bad experience.  Finally benched for good after throwing game-changing interceptions at Green Bay, ending Chicago's dim playoff hopes.  Signed: 2003 Started in: 2003 Released: 2004

Jonathan Quinn, Middle Tennessee State:  Recommended by new Offensive Coordinator Terry Shea to help install his offense.  Hoped to only fill mentor role.  Was thrust into action when Rex Grossman blew up his knee in the season's third week.  Absolutely abysmal: threw three picks and one touchdown with a 53.7 rating in 2004.  Signed: 2004 Started in: 2004 Released: 2005

Craig Krenzel, Ohio State:  Picked in the fifth round in 2004, ended up starting due to the utter misery that was Quinn's play.  Became the starter on October 31st and won three games in a row--not bad for a rookie--but was helped immensely by his defense and poor competition.  Injured on Thanksgiving at Dallas and was supplanted by Chad Hutichinson.  Drafted: 2004 (5) Started in: 2004 Released: 2005

Chad Hutchinson, Stanford:  Claimed off a surfboard following Rex Grossman's knee injury that ended his 2004 season.  Defeated the Minnesota Vikings in his first start, looking like the answer to the Bears' quarterback problems of the past.  Played very average in four straight losses to end the 2004 season.  Looked to start in 2005 after Grossman's last injury, but was atrocious in the preseason.  Cut.  Signed: 2004 Started in: 2004 Released: 2005

Kyle Orton, Purdue:  Pressed into duty when Grossman injured his ankle, and Hutchinson stunk, in the 2005 preseason.  Became only the second rookie quarterback since 1970 to win 10 starts, but like Krenzel he was helped greatly by a great defense.  Deserves a lot of credit for steadying the ship in 2005 prior to Grossman's return, but is in a good place as the team's third-stringer.  Drafted: 2005 (4) Started in: 2005

Rex Grossman, Florida:  29 quarterbacks and 28 years later, Bear fans hope Grossman continues the health and performance he has shown in the first five games of the 2006 season.  Drafted: 2003 (1) Started in: 2003-2006 

(these are qb's from the Favre era... but the article I pulled this from went back to like 1975 to discuss Bears QB woes... the late 70's, starting when future Hall of Famers  :laugh: like Bob Avellini and Vince Evans played QB for the bears)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:04:58 pm by AcePylut »

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 06:26:40 am »
I'm just happy I finally got a win this week!  Man o man are the Saints offense and Drew Brees looking might crappy this year.  With pretty much everyone back from last season I figured they would be decent at least.  No such luck.  However, with Deuce going down Bush may get more carries.  I'm not sure if that is a good thing this year though. 

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 04:44:02 pm »
Bears QB Saga lives on.... Brian Greise is already getting skewered by the Chicago media.   "He's not the answer".  "He's not good enough."  "Play Orton."   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 10:28:02 pm »
I dropped a greise orton the other day, and it was gross, man.

AP and Raven this week.  You've got great matchups... but the Bears D????  Are you serious?  Is that a little blue and orange creeping into your green and yellow?

Gotta love what Fantasy Football does.  I watch totally lame matchups just to see how my boys perform.  I root for hated players because they are on my team.   My wife gets a glazed look in her eye when me and her bro start talking FFL.

I love it.  Sundays are all about 12 hours of football :)

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 10:21:03 am »
I could not agree with you more! I've started watching games I would NEVER have watched a few years ago! I found myself rooting for the Lions and then caught myself. "hey, I'm rooting for the Lions?"

I've had enough beer for one day........

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 09:41:25 pm »
I think it's funny that my selection of the Raven's D is going to be the key to this weeks victory against Raven.  Yes, another stellar output (lolol) by my team.  This is what's called winning ugly.  Scoring hardly any fantasy points, but winning because the opponent had an even worse day.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 04:52:07 pm »
Yeah, I'm 5-1.

But I tell you, 5-1 never felt worse than it does with this team... given that I've won the last two games because the other guys team played worse.  It's not like my yahoo team, where the 5-1 guy has just blown opponents out of the water with the high score in 5 of 6 weeks  (although it took a last second brady-moss TD to beat me (and he has both Brady and Moss  >:( ))... no sir ree... I'm the king of the leage in suckout victories for ESPN.

But I'll take it with the heartbreak my yahoo boys have given me over the last couple years.  You know how there's always that "insignificant play" that causes some fantasy FB team to lose?  That's been me the last couple years in Yahoo.

For example:  Last Year.  I'm winning a game against my brother in law by 6 points.  I have Sean Merriman on D, he has Todd Heap on O as the last two players left for us.  LAST friggin play of the game, Ravens QB throws to Heap on the 1 yard line.  Super Stud Merriman blasts Heap, but didn't tackle him, Heap lunges across the goal line.  I lose by 1 point.

Last year (or maybe it was two years ago, can't remember, the heartbreaks all blend together after a while).  I'm beating a guy by 20 points going into a Monday night contest.  All the other guy has left is Chris Cooley.  Our scoring says Chris cooley needs 3 TD's to win.  What does Mr. 1 TD in the last 10 or so game do?  Goes out and scores 3 TD's as a fricking tight end, and I lose.

I've got 4 years of bs losses like this.  Just terribly demoralizing losses.  Come on.  Frigging TE scoring 3 TD's (he had 6 all year.  SIX). 

But I can't complain this year.... because yes, believe it or not, that last second field goal by Folk of Dallas against Buffalo cost a guy the game.  Funny!  The eventual winner was losing by 4 points, and all that could save him was a 50+ yard field goal (in our leage, 50+ yarders are 5 points, 49 and less is three points).  Didn't seem possible in the last few minutes of the game, that there would even BE a 50 yard attempt. So what do the Cowboys do?  Score a TD, but then TO drops the 2 point conversion (even funnier, the eventual loser had TO on his team).  Buff's bungle the onside kick, cowboys recover, Folk gets the FG, and the guy loses the game LOLOLOL.

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 03:05:20 pm »
I always suck at fantasy football.  But I have fun doing it.  And I also find myself watching pointless games just to see if one of my players does well.  Not to mention yelling at the TV, "Don't throw it to him!  Throw it to #17!!!" 

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 01:07:43 pm »
Well my luck ran out this week.  Ran into a TD machine called Tom Brady.  Not even the first ballot hall of famer Kenny Watson would have saved me, had I played him.

GG Mr. Rented Mules.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:14 pm »
GG Scottie boy :)

I love FFL.

In this league, I've gone from 5-1 league leader to 5-3 in two weeks.  In my Yahoo league, I'm on a 4 game tear and have gone from #11 of 12 at 1-3 to tied for #2 at 5-3.  Weeeeeeeeee  :drinkinsong:

Speaking of which, Raven, you'll never find a happier bear fan than me, to see Brett Favre throw a perfect 82 yard bomb on the first play in OT to win the game...on the last play of the week...because I was losing in my yahoo game by like 3 points going into OT with faav-ra as my WB.  I basically needed him to throw a TD from anywhere on the field.  Fat chance of that happening, I thought at the beginning of OT.  I thought he'd just dink and dunk into FG range and kick the fg. But schwing, he threw da bomb and scored the TD that I needed to win my yahoo league by 3 :)   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:  That league has been crazy this year.  First we did actually have that guy lose his game because of the Dallas-Buffalo ending. Then this happens.  I ain't a com'planian'

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2007, 10:29:04 pm »
I've had so many injuries that I'm basically on my 3rd team.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz