Topic: LISTEN UP !  (Read 2159 times)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
LISTEN UP !
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:27 pm »
Okay, I know there were a bunch of Moderator notification's sent in for a specific issue just within the last 24 hours.

First, let me make this point - no matter what there is NO FRIGGIN excuse for being rude or uncivil. I shouldn't have to be posting this, and you know I actually hate having to make these posts, but dammit guys I don't pay for most of this OUT OF MY OWN POCKET so you can all come in here and started throwing buckets of piss at each other!

If you have a point to make (such as the poly count of a model or whatnot), then make you point. Do it civily, do it with a bit of courtesy and compassion for the other person, and you will do well for yourself and not just I, but the SFC community will be glad. Remember these simple concepts in doing so:

1.) You can post the most perfect, well-thought out argument as a justification for your thoughts and points and it doesn't matter, JUST BECAUSE IT MAKES SENSE TO YOU DOESN'T MEAN IT'S FACT.

2.) Make your point, then move on and make your next point. Shooting down people's reactions to your point in a careless manner results in THREAD DERAILMENT.

3.) We're all here in this thread specifically to HAVE FUN. This forum (and it's sister forums) are about CREATIVITY and IMAGINATION, these are two qualities the Great Bird of the Galaxy valued especially, and happen to be ones that I quite value. If you can't find the time to review these exhibitions of imagination and ingenuity civily, respecting the time and effort these individuals put in to move these from their brains to this medium, then SHUT THE HELL UP.

4.) Criticizing is a NATURAL part of creative imagination, most of the time it's the artist himself that criticises his work, and - 'magine this... IT HELPS HIM/HER REFINE THEIR CREATIVITY. Now, when we offer our opinions of what we think to other people, can we TRY to think about how that person might feel, hell how you yourself might feel if you were told that.  If you can't do that, well, then SHUT THE HELL UP. Constructive criticism is mighty helpful and usually well recieved, and I've a feeling that this community (especially this part of the community!) would handle someone who poo-poo'ed on well given, constructive criticism... so there's no reason for anything but.

and the last point (whew)

5.) Once you've made your point, just assume no one is going to agree with it. Seriously. Just hear me out. Assume that no one is going to agree with you, and then BE OKAY with that. There you go. BAM! You've just accepted your place in the cosmos, and all is at peace. None of us here should ever assume that anyone is going to agree with what we say just because what we are saying we think is right... that's just plain silly. There's many millions of us on this globe and there's this silly Vulcan thing called a IDIC - some of you may know what that is.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. That's the sh*t, man.

It's something I hold dear - ordered chaos, structured randomness that combines and magnifies with all the other patterns out there to create one frakkin' big ass picture called life, and contributing in my own unique way to help make even the smallest section of that canvas awesome. So the bottom line? Be nice to each other, present your point in a clear, concise, yet compassionate manner, and if someone posts something you don't agree with, just say you don't agree. There's no need for nastiness.

I mean it.

Now, let's get back to having fun.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: LISTEN UP !
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:39:54 pm »
I love it, I really do. I think if more people (including myself) took this more seriously we'd all be better off.

1.) You can post the most perfect, well-thought out argument as a justification for your thoughts and points and it doesn't matter, JUST BECAUSE IT MAKES SENSE TO YOU DOESN'T MEAN IT'S FACT.

I don't want to get too lectury, (feel free to delete it or reprimand if it is out of line). If I may be so bold as to expand on this one thing by adding:

"Just because it's a given - an understood - to you, does not mean it is a given to someone else. We all have different points of view, and so called 'constants' are fluid-like between people. This applies across the board, from design ethos, to methods of communication, from morality, to workflow. Be mindful, and understand said differences, as you will become that much more an eclectic person. The tradeoff of is, even if you understand it and disagree, continue to respect another's perspective. -=steps of soapbox=-

we ought to start a philosophic thread... hehehe -=runs=-.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:32:15 am »
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. That's the sh*t, man.

It's something I hold dear - ordered chaos, structured randomness that combines and magnifies with all the other patterns out there to create one frakkin' big ass picture called life, and contributing in my own unique way to help make even the smallest section of that canvas awesome. So the bottom line? Be nice to each other, present your point in a clear, concise, yet compassionate manner, and if someone posts something you don't agree with, just say you don't agree. There's no need for nastiness.

I mean it.

Now, let's get back to having fun.

Regards,

This one is going straight to my "Wise thoughts" notebook.  :) Brilliantly put.

+1 karma ;)
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:13 am »
Well said. Eventhough even I think that theres a couple of unsavoury types on the site I still dont start hooting, hollering nor slinging poo at em like a goddamn ape, least for civilitys sake :BoeseSmilies (71):
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 02:13:55 am »
Well said. Eventhough even I think that theres a couple of unsavoury types on the site I still dont start hooting, hollering nor slinging poo at em like a goddamn ape, least for civilitys sake :BoeseSmilies (71):

Ah, mackie, how we love you.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline F9thDawg

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:12:27 am »
Frey, wiser words have never been spoken. are u a Vulcan in disguise?

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:48:08 pm »
Only on Tuesday.

:angel:
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.