Topic: Strength and Honour...  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
Re: Strength and Honour...
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 09:26:36 pm »
Cj

I like how you can speak your mind, i really do.  But bud you gotta learn when to cut it back into something that is more civil and little less rude.  I know you may not like ent inspired stuff (this also happens to be inntially fasa inspired last i checked, as well as a few dozen other things according to atolm, some (if not most) are not trek related) , but you could tone it back just a bit and talk more about the ship and less about how you dislike ent, else it just sounds like you are ranting.  just some friendly advice.

I think you may be right about the references to ENT and other depictions of Pre-TOS, but I didn't think I was impolite with how I presented it, and I was unaware that it was more FASA-inspired because I'm not terribly fond of it either.  I may not smash down upon it furiously as I did with ENT once (yet no longer hound on it furiously and passionately in spite of general criticism) though.  I was actually more fond of Masao Okazaki's Starfleet Museum, in case anyone was wondering.

But again, you may be right about the references to Enterprise in a negative fashion.  But please give me the that I was trying to be constructive, even though I should have been more so (ala "Maybe the impulse engines could look a bit more basic-looking like the Constitution class than from a Galaxy-class" or something to that regard).  Under normal circumstances, I don't comment on WIPs or model/texture releases whether it would be generally good or bad.  If there's something that catches my eye not under normal circumstances (Like the Phase II retexture by WillDecker that sparked a memory I shared), I might comment.  If there's a WIP that might need improvement but is generally good or if I wanted to help with a suggestion that can be taken or thrown out, I would comment on that.

I commented on here because while I wasn't completely fond of it in a biased view, there were some parts I liked, and admitted that in what may be a more objective view (as in, "Imagine for a moment there was no officially-made Trek show that began in the 22nd-century as a prequel.") that the ship's design in general at least if not overall might be well fitting of a 22nd-century ship.

So while I may have been a little unfair to you Tus (and to Atolm) and not constructive enough--and I apologize for that--I meant well and I don't think I was being completely impolite.  But please give me credit for not being the stereotypical YouTube commenter who would simply look at something and then exclaim, "This sucks!"  Phrases like that are generally nonconstructive.

And I mean this with all due respect.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 02:57:46 pm »
EV walks to clean all those windows then!!

It also reminded me of something else when I saw it/ It had the same style and theme as another ship but I couldn't put my finger on it. I've just remembered now looking at it, Rich Steinbech's pictures of the USS Horizon NCC 01 from the Space Flight Chronology. The very first Federation built starship. It has a similar ethos about the design.

When is someone going to do the original Horizon Class anyway??!!

At least with the retractable laser cannons one could take them out, beam them down to a planet, assemble them right in front of the target, shout "Fire" and remove the tops of of hills, etc. I always liked that American problem solving logic of, "I know, lets try a bigger gun!!" You can see why ENT needs an Englishman on board sometimes, even if he is cliched and sterotypical a bit.

I believe it also bears a somewhat resemblence in basic profile for the flying wedge shaped feddie we saw a couple times in, ent, enough that one could say this would be a continuation of that liniage. I don't know if a class or ship was ever named however.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 06:36:32 pm »
The wedge type ship was probally a Sweden Class, with there is a model of in Battle Clinic.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 04:22:27 pm »
The wedge type ship was probally a Sweden Class, with there is a model of in Battle Clinic.

Uh by "sweden class" you mean the Unclassed and un-named ships from Enterprise?
Anyway, the ship was designed to show a lineage from many referrences.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 07:01:08 pm »

Uh by "sweden class" you mean the Unclassed and un-named ships from Enterprise?
Anyway, the ship was designed to show a lineage from many referrences.

any chance of a backwards (NX-ified) version?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »
the crystal dome on the ship (pic 3) near the warp engine is for the impulse engine right?

if the yellow square are for the drone, well it should be small hole on tope of the ship instead, maybe change them for the plasma weapons, would give more firepower to that Heavy destroyer.

just a taught    ;)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 10:12:53 pm »
the crystal dome on the ship (pic 3) near the warp engine is for the impulse engine right?

if the yellow square are for the drone, well it should be small hole on tope of the ship instead, maybe change them for the plasma weapons, would give more firepower to that Heavy destroyer.

just a taught    ;)

..... ummm no... there is no doctrine stating that drones "must" be placed on the ventrical and dorsal sides of a ship.  Further why the heck would the feds use them pulse plasma cannons... they seem to me to be rather out dated compared to phasers... (any other plasm weaponary would be rommie)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 10:15:18 pm »
There is the one Battlecruiser (Kirov i think?) but still that shouldn't set this precedent.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 07:19:05 am »
The Kirov uses Gorn technology plasma torpedoes. The is also a Burke Class frigate converted to this technology also according to SFB. It was not so good.

ENT has freighters armeed with plasma cannons, which are basically gollops of plasma taken from the power conduits and fired out of linear projectors. Not very high tech, and if you check online science stuff, in reality would "bloom" so any plasma cannon would be a short range shot gun type weapon.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!