Topic: Another thing - Kadeshi-inspired Needlefleet.  (Read 4448 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Another thing - Kadeshi-inspired Needlefleet.
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:10:46 pm »
Yeah I'm on a bit of a spree - And to be honest, I am enjoying it. But really I dont have any desire to slow down and unwrap (I HATE unwrapping). Thusly i just design something else, lol.
Anyways here is another thing I turned out real quick (about a half hour). For those of you who have played Homeworld you already know of the Kadeshi. For those of you who haven't they are a race who live in a nebula on large starships. they prey on any ships who dirty their nebula with their presence. Their designs are rather insectoid except for one: their mothership (the design of which is the direct inspiration for the CA). I decided to design a fleet around said needleship instead of the insectoid look and this is the result.

The big on is a DN, the next is the CA, the second is the CL and the last is the DD. I may sketch up a few more designs, but don't hold your breath - you know how I am.

and a side ortho for shape of the DN and scale.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Another thing - Kadeshi-inspired Needlefleet.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:14:55 pm »
Hey, turn these upright, and they'd make killer deep space starbases for the Feds.  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:20:42 pm »
...Wow.

You should try waving this at the Relic people at the Relicnews forum. If it isn't appreciated here, it sure will be over there.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:47:43 pm »
Hey, turn these upright, and they'd make killer deep space starbases for the Feds.  :-D

This is very true.

...Wow.

You should try waving this at the Relic people at the Relicnews forum. If it isn't appreciated here, it sure will be over there.

Thanks, I am actually posting it as we speak. Hopefully someone will be willing to texture them, if not here than there.
Anyways back to posting/spamming/modelling/singing.....
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:50:41 pm »
If I could texture them and map them, I would.  But I'm just a humble kitbasher.  :-(

What other killer models you got to make us drool?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 02:58:17 pm »
-=inhale of breath=- I don't really know, yet.
Let me sit back and veg for a bit, and if something comes up, I'll sketch it out and post, as always. ^_^

thanks for the drool compliment - thats a high-order praise right there. thanks ^_^.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:00:11 pm »
very b5ish. if ya use them for feddie bases though they could use a bit more "meat" on them.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:57 pm »
I dont see the B5-ness, but okay ^_^.
-=thoughtful noise=- Yeah, I can see the Likeness to a feddie base. (mushroom base meets jupiter station, almost) but i dont think they would do a good job at it.

Anyways,
Here's a shot with some proper lighting
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 03:40:01 pm »
-=thoughtful noise=- Yeah, I can see the Likeness to a feddie base. (mushroom base meets jupiter station, almost) but i dont think they would do a good job at it.

Anyways,

Well if you think about the ships from "third space". They had long needles sticking out the front of a large bulb. Also some of the first ones ships hard a large mushroom shaped rear end almost like a saucer type where the domed top was actualy the rear of the ship. The larest example is the best fit for B5 tech and ofcoruse what made me think of it. ALso my favorite outa the bunch.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 03:45:36 pm »

Anyways,

Well if you think about the ships from "third space". They had long needles sticking out the front of a large bulb. Also some of the first ones ships hard a large mushroom shaped rear end almost like a saucer type where the domed top was actualy the rear of the ship. The larest example is the best fit for B5 tech and ofcoruse what made me think of it. ALso my favorite outa the bunch.

ayt, cool. That makes sense now.
Robinomicon

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:44 pm »
Awesome dude, I always loved the way HW ships look like, especially the Kadesh :)
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:18:01 pm »
Thanks Mackie ^_^

Just to let inform - I'm rebuilding the drive pods on the DN - I wasn't happy with them.
Also - keep an eye out for an older fleet of mine that I lost in a format - that I will be rehashing tonight.
Robinomicon

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 05:16:51 pm »
maybe try one that doesn't have a round pod?
http://www.b5tech.com/miscracesgroups/3rdspace/3rdfighter.jpg Notice the "aft" section. I blieve it had 5 "vanes" on it, and one side is cut off.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 05:52:41 pm »
I think that a non-radial-symmetry would deviate too much from the established design ethos. Whilst I really do find the Thirdspace aliens cool, its just not what I'm goin for this time around. Though, you give me a few ideas I might want to explore ^_^ (more the capital ship than the fighter).

I just gotta wait till it comes to me. "Too many mind" kind of thing. ("Mind sword, mind people watch, mind enemy. Too many mind. no mind.").

In other news, err, my "rehash" has hit a creative snag as well, but I will keep playing with that too.
I am off to clean my room. Physical labour always helps my creative processes ^_^.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 10:57:13 pm »
Battlecruiser is modelled.

Still having issues with my other project.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 11:36:04 am »
Burárum.

CA, still textureless, in game for the fun of it.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:04:55 pm »
the Needle Heavy Cruiser is ready for texturing - its mapped and everything. Downloadable here http://www.symphonyinrgb.com/NeedleCA.zip

EDIT: now available - the DN: http://www.symphonyinrgb.com/NeedleDN.zip
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:25:56 pm by Furyofaseraph »
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 12:24:02 am »
Mwahahahaha
A man should never be afraid of his Magentas.

Details like Airlocks and vents still need to be added, but really I am pleased with what I have.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 08:01:24 am »
Okay, I had to remap a lot of stuff. So little snag - but i shouldn't be too hard to retexture.
Of course that means I need to upload a new version of the models if people are texturing them.
Sorry guys.
Robinomicon

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 09:17:28 am »
I think texturing is done.
Lightmaps are done - still have to make Bump and Spec maps for Starshatter.

Robinomicon