Topic: So I was reading Honor Harrington - Sailship anyone?  (Read 885 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
So I was reading Honor Harrington - Sailship anyone?
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:20:10 am »
For those who haven't read Honor Harrington, its a series of books that re-envisions the Napoleonic wars in space. Kind of a female space-borne Horatio Hornblower, and gracefully done at that.
Anyways, in this book a ship creates a gravity impeller "wedge" which kind of takes the place of sails. BUT, i started to think, what if they made it slightly more literal.
Thus, we have this: its a sailship - if you couldn't tell - I put as many sails as I could really fit on it without it being too busy, at least, that i could think of - im sure more people will add more given the chance. - Anyways, I just decided to throw this together. if someone wants to unwrap, texture, and convert, let me know.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: So I was reading Honor Harrington - Sailship anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:56:46 am »
hmm... a sail ship doesn't need alot of sails in the same LOS, the effency margin would go way down when that is doen.    I would suggest if you want that many round ones to put the two smaller ones off on an arm or something so that they work effecently
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: So I was reading Honor Harrington - Sailship anyone?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:08:44 am »
I had thought about it, but then i thought i was over thinking it. Too technical - i just wanted it to look cool.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."