Poll

Would re-doing the General War series fly?

Hell yeah!!!
23 (76.7%)
Try something original you hack!
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Topic: For my next set of servers . . .  (Read 24671 times)

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
Re: For my next set of servers . . .
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:43 pm »
I agree Karnak on the ship costs.  I had an account where I lost a BCH and a CA in the same night, and that account never recovered, therefore I was no longer flying that account, which happened to be the only account I had in that race.  I know some will say then it is up to me to fly a bunch more missions again in that account to build it up.  Why would I when I had other accounts in other races that were as high.  Had the prices been like 1/2, I most likely would have built it up as it would not take 2 or 3 evenings to do so.  I beleive others who are not nutters would benefit from this as well.

That is easily rectified. We need to get ED to jump on the Tracey G bandwagon of super prestige for PvP wins.

I've got no problem with that - just pick the kinda scale you want (2x, 5x, 10x, ...???)

What about PvP losses?   Should there be pp compensation for fighting even if you get the snot beat outta your ship?
(Just asking, I'm ok either way)

dave

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

You know, I guess I am old fashioned.  Perhaps the side that won the hex would think it only right and proper to take any challenges that the other side might offer for a fight in that hex, but I suppose that is a nice fantasy. 

It is a fantsay- not beacuse people aren't honourable or some such, but beacuse they're playing to win.
Honestly I wouldn'tt really look forward to a server where everyone was all touchy feely .

I am more than willing to say that one PvP victory flipping a hex and maxing it out is more than extreme.  It could have unintended consequences, however I really don't see anything wrong with the idea of significantly higher DV shifts for PvP battle considering their usual length if it's an honest to goodness PvP fight.  I would think that a 10 to 20 dv shift would be appropriate.  My problem with offering any moderation on these points is that the hex flippers will start haggling and whining, trying to reduce the size of the DV shift through some odd ball reasoning.  I am not here for reasoning.  I am here for doing something.  If people don't want to take significant action on the issues I have brought, they won't.  There are any number of supposed reason not to take any action, like a server without Chuut (My god, how could we live without a hex-flipping nutter?  The whole thing might come crumbling down around our heads).  People will pick one or a set of reasons that most saves face for them and makes them look smart.

Be that as it may, I like your attitude, Hexx.  I also am not in favor of the search for the uber killing fleet stuff and all the cap ship stuff.  This is why I proposed those line ship rules and tried to give those ships some real tactical and strategic importance.  Oh and did the people scream!!!  "What I can't force a little old line ship out of a hex with overcompensating-for-something-size mega-cool capital ship??!!!  Heresy!!!  Burn the witch!!"  Whatever.  You guys are so locked into your frame of reference it's like talking to a crazy person (Not aimed at you, Hexx).

Oh no I'm probably insane- have any idea just how many servers and differnt concepts I have floating in my head?
I'm so close to getting a decent Andro war set up thought out though..so very close...

Again though- the thing is -as far as I know- we can't do what you want right now with our current server set up.
yes I think it'll work if (and when) we get SQL working, but honestly- posting about it right now is the same thing as me posting about how stupid everyone is for not insisting
that we have the abiltiy to have players join PVP fights in progress.

As for the DV shifts, dunno,of course it would mater what the servers DV's are set at, but again there's different things to consider
Are (as I asked before) 3 players who fleet up and jump  one player any better or worse than 3 guys running missions on  ahex that has one guy to defend it?
In my mind no- but opinions may vary. (Any one's contradicting mine are wrong, but you're still aloowed to have them)
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2007, 07:57:53 pm »
I agree Karnak on the ship costs.  I had an account where I lost a BCH and a CA in the same night, and that account never recovered, therefore I was no longer flying that account, which happened to be the only account I had in that race.  I know some will say then it is up to me to fly a bunch more missions again in that account to build it up.  Why would I when I had other accounts in other races that were as high.  Had the prices been like 1/2, I most likely would have built it up as it would not take 2 or 3 evenings to do so.  I beleive others who are not nutters would benefit from this as well.

That is easily rectified. We need to get ED to jump on the Tracey G bandwagon of super prestige for PvP wins.

I've got no problem with that - just pick the kinda scale you want (2x, 5x, 10x, ...???)

What about PvP losses?   Should there be pp compensation for fighting even if you get the snot beat outta your ship?

dave

I think there should be some insentive for staying in a fight such as PP compensation even if you lose.  I am not saying it should be enough to buy you another capital ship, but some compensation non-the-less.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2007, 09:13:31 pm »
I say 300-400pp for losing and at least 1500pp for winning.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2007, 10:00:49 pm »
Are we over-thinking this Lepton, what if you simply up the points for PvP kills versus Map VCs?  If the PvP VCs on AOTK3 were say doubled, I think you might have found what you were looking for without ruining the game for the Hex-flippers.

As far as getting people to engage, I would give the PvP bonuses to the looser ONLY if he scores internals!    ;D

+3000 for winning
+1000 for loosing if you've scored internals
0 for running off without scoring internals.

Another way to encourage people to stay and fight is to bring back the DN VC rules from Storm Season 2.   In SS2, a DN was worth 20 if killed but 5 in run off in even-numbered fights.  I liked this as people fought tool-and-nail on that server in the DNs since nobody wanted to concede the 5 points.  The even numbers means in a 3v1 jump you can still leave without penalty.  Using the AOTK3 scale, a DN would be 10 if killed, 3 if run off.   BCH would be 5 and 1, BB 20 and 6.  This would make the engagments where people just fire at long range still worth something if you spend an hour in a PvP
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:11:49 pm by FPF-DieHard »
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

el-Karnak

« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2007, 10:03:41 pm »

dave

EEK missions are set at giving the regular mission payout plus a bonus of 1000pp for driving the player off and 1500pp for a PvP kill. :angel:

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2007, 12:31:48 am »
Are we over-thinking this Lepton, what if you simply up the points for PvP kills versus Map VCs?  If the PvP VCs on AOTK3 were say doubled, I think you might have found what you were looking for without ruining the game for the Hex-flippers.

As far as getting people to engage, I would give the PvP bonuses to the looser ONLY if he scores internals!    ;D

+3000 for winning
+1000 for loosing if you've scored internals
0 for running off without scoring internals.

Another way to encourage people to stay and fight is to bring back the DN VC rules from Storm Season 2.   In SS2, a DN was worth 20 if killed but 5 in run off in even-numbered fights.  I liked this as people fought tool-and-nail on that server in the DNs since nobody wanted to concede the 5 points.  The even numbers means in a 3v1 jump you can still leave without penalty.  Using the AOTK3 scale, a DN would be 10 if killed, 3 if run off.   BCH would be 5 and 1, BB 20 and 6.  This would make the engagments where people just fire at long range still worth something if you spend an hour in a PvP

What you say about doubling PvP VC points leaves the same old dynamic in place.  Take ATOK3 results and double the PvP VC count.  Did anything change?  Not as far as I know.  Would doubling the points make people fly more PvP or less PvP?  I'd be inclined to say less PvP.  In the current mindset, the perception of risk is pretty high for PvP and more so when it counts.

I'd like to set up a system wherein it is people's perception that PvP is the best choice tactically and strategically as well as the best choice enjoyment-wise.  At this point, it is my perception that much is done to avoid PvP and I think we all know that AI missions are the default mode for anyone on a server.  The why for the latter is simple.  It is more effective to run a lot of AI missions fast for the maximum DV shift than to spend an hour or more in a PvP fight.  To me this is totally messed-up.  Yes, this is old news, but it has yet to be addressed effectively.  The only way I can see this being straightened out is by having PvP make a disproportional effect on hex DVs, then it will be more effective to PvP to get a DV shift.  If we are going to rely on Map VCs and hex-flipping, then PvP must mean something on the map.  In part this was the intent of the disengagement rule, but nearly as I can tell this has actually made it more unlikely that people will PvP as hot hexes soon become cold hexes or very one-sided hexes if people keep getting bumped out of them.

Now the reasons that I proposed starting people off with a lot of PP are manifold.  First, it allows whoever comes on the server to really participate in what is going on as soon as he or she gets there and for as long or short a time as he or she desires.  No waiting to earn the points for a DN or BCH.  Just jump right in.  Join the server in the middle or even near the end?  You're all ready to go in and mix it up.  Second, it gives everyone and anyone the kind of flexibility to buy, sell, and replace ships as they like.  Third, I feel this will lower the bar for people feeling comfortable entering and actually fighting in PvP.  If the loss of a ship is insubstantial to future opportunities to get back in there and fight some more, people will be more inclined to just relax and have fun.  Fourth, I think of it as a great leveling of the playing field.  You don't need to be a nutter to mix it, do as you like and have fun.  I am not saying that we should throw out metal rules.  I think those are essentially on any server to curtail some of the arms race, but I don't think anyone should be precluded from participating in the server in a cap ship if he or she likes regardless of the amount of time that he or she feels like "putting in".

As to those who would say, "Shouldn't I be rewarded for being on the server more?"  I say, "Your reward is playing the game."  That's what we are here to do, play the game.  When people start talking about something above and beyond that as some type of reward for or inducement to play, I have to ask myself whether or not these people really like what they are doing.

Be that as it may, I'd say that the last server that I can think of where PvP actually won the server was SGO3 (is that the right one?) and that seems like a good long time ago, but then again I have bad memory of these things.  Conditions were significantly different then.  Higher server numbers, more vibrant community, etc, etc.  In those conditions one could be relatively assured of PvP opportunities and a desire for PvP such that PvP VC points could actually overcome map VCs.  Nowadays, I don't think that is the case.  This is why PvP needs to matter on the map because it's the map wherein things are won and lost.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2007, 12:47:11 am »
Consider this. A small but effective force could stave off an attack by a side with a numbers advantage.  I know this will appeal to Dizzy as he likes to fight for the underdog.  If you kick butt in PvP even with only a group of three guys flying together, you could jump from hex to hex bumping people out and maxing out the hex with the system I have discussed.  Also, if people have a lot of PP to work with, then anyone could jump in, grab a DN or a CVA and defend hexes with the most effective tools for the job.  If PvP trumps AI missions, an attacking force will want to PvP so as to flip hexes faster and defenders especially outnumbered defenders will want to PvP as they get the most bang for their buck.  And seriously, wouldn't you really rather fight for a hex against other people rather than this "one removed" thing we have going on now?

Okay think of it this way.  If three guys are flying together, you really can't gang up on them.  Missions are only ever 3v3 max.  That makes it de facto an equitable affair.  So no matter how many guys you would throw into that hex, the only 3 or 6 if you like that matter are the guys in the PvP mission as they will decide the hex.  The way we do things now, the side that had more players and runs more missions in any particular hex is significantly more likely to win that particular hex and the server in general.  With the system that I am proposing numbers would not matter as much.  The side with superior numbers at any particular time is limited to AI missions for most of its mission which in my proposed system is very ineffective, whereas the side with less numbers is more likely to be engaged in a PvP action which is very effective if a bit risky.

And the other thing is that as a defender if you win and max out the hex, you are not going to want to go into that hex again, so we get the paradoxical situation of having an advancing defense. The best thing to do would be to sit in the next enemy hex and try to get drafted or catch people, so suddenly instead of being the defender, now in some sense you are now the aggressor.  How does that awful phrase go?  "Fight them over there so that we don't have to fight them over here".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:09:36 am by Lepton »

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2007, 08:02:49 am »
Here's a PvP incentive package for you:

1.  The PP awards mentioned above.

2.  On the off chance that the battle is even, a straight up taco bell gives you all the best benefits you deserve, ie, full kill points to the enemy and maximum length disengagement penalty.

3.  Implementation of some sort of extra DV affect for the results of a PvP, I'd say up to 5x whatever the server's set for.  This, of course, really needs a SQL base to work...

4.  Implementation of a 50/50 guaranteed Map/PvP VC split.  My conceptual VC system works like this:
say 200 VCs a round.  100 on map, 100 PvP
Score PvP kills as we're accustomed to, ie, X points for a BB, Y points for a DN, etc.
At end of round, total up the points and determine a PvP ratio.  Say it was 75 pts Alliance, 25 pts Coalition (easy math)
Give that % of the PvP VCs to each team.  By the above example, Alliance gets 75 PvP VC, Coalition 25.

Combine this with the "line ships get a free ride vs. specialty ships" rule, and you have, hopefully, a killer reason to go PvP & a decent reason to fly line (as a line can tie up a specialty all week with free taco bells)

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2007, 06:52:05 pm »

I would argue not to put up such a server.  It will take a significant shift in mindset for the kind of server I am proposing.  I have been trying with the blunt force of insults, cajoling, and a bit of reason to get people to reevaluate what they want out of a server or what should happen on the server.  I've have been trying this for the past 4 or 5 years to little effect.

If you put up such a server, it would fail miserably as people would not know how to act.

Look, it's like trying to convince an Eskimo to move into a brick house.  If you build him one and give it to him, he won't live in it anyway.  No insults to Eskimos intended.  I think Native peoples are great if not superior to "cultured" folks.

So even you don't think we should try your ideas on a server designed according to your wishes.  Totally too much absurdity.  Instead of doing work you try to insult other forum members to re-evaluate according to your own admission.  I got an idea for you....why don't you put up, or STFU?  At least then you might regain some respect.  Your methods of insult have surely lost youself some from me, and perhaps others.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2007, 07:05:37 pm »
And some more "classics"

If people don't want to take significant action on the issues I have brought, they won't. 

And one of those people is you, you prefer to rant, rave, cajole, and whine about this but are apparently unwilling to really DO anything about it and run at the first suggestion that you design your own server even when DH unselfishly agrees to put it up for you if you actually did some work.

There are any number of supposed reason not to take any action, like a server without Chuut (My god, how could we live without a hex-flipping nutter?  The whole thing might come crumbling down around our heads).

Nope can survive without me and I specifically invited you to put up your server without me.

People will pick one or a set of reasons that most saves face for them and makes them look smart.

As demonstrated by your silly reasoning why you wont do the work for your own server. 

*Yawn*  Such a hypocrite.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2007, 07:30:54 pm »

I would argue not to put up such a server.  It will take a significant shift in mindset for the kind of server I am proposing.  I have been trying with the blunt force of insults, cajoling, and a bit of reason to get people to reevaluate what they want out of a server or what should happen on the server.  I've have been trying this for the past 4 or 5 years to little effect.

If you put up such a server, it would fail miserably as people would not know how to act.

Look, it's like trying to convince an Eskimo to move into a brick house.  If you build him one and give it to him, he won't live in it anyway.  No insults to Eskimos intended.  I think Native peoples are great if not superior to "cultured" folks.

So even you don't think we should try your ideas on a server designed according to your wishes.  Totally too much absurdity.  Instead of doing work you try to insult other forum members to re-evaluate according to your own admission.  I got an idea for you....why don't you put up, or STFU?  At least then you might regain some respect.  Your methods of insult have surely lost youself some from me, and perhaps others.

Put it back in your pants, big boy, lest someone lops it off.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2007, 12:21:37 am »

I'd like to see a more significant DV shift for PvP battles.  If someone is in a mission for an hour or two hours, his time should count for something other than a 1 DV shift.  Perhaps a 10 or 20 DV shift.  This would make PvP meaningful on the map in a way that it really isn't now.

I have no problem with this if an equal PvP battle is won, but giving a side 10 or 20 DV shifts for ganking a player 3 v 1 is a terrible idea IMHO.

Also look at it this way, if you kill an enemy ship that is worth points how many missions is that equivilant to?  Take the last server, a BCH for example was worth 5 points, or 1/4th a Nip planet.  How many missions and hours went into taking and holding one of these planets.  Hard to say exactly, but one glance at the total missions run gives some idea.  Since 90%+ missions on the server were likely associated with the center and these planets, if you took 1/7th (there were 7 such planets) of the total and multiplied by .9 you would have 4538 missions per planet.  Divide that by 4 and you get 1089 missions.  Then further divide by 4 for the 4 VC periods and you get 272 missions. Then you can even divide by 50% (the missions run by each side are close enough to do this and be pretty fair)  and you get 136 missions.  Is killing a BCH worth 136 missions?  more? less?  There are other dynamics at play too,  I realize, but this gives you some idea about the current importance of PvP on servers.  Willingness to engage in it at equal strengths is another matter altogether.

By the same standards

CA = 55 missions 
specialty ship = 84 missions
BCH = 136 missions
DN =  273 missions

So even a little DF+ so lucky to get all 2 minute missions (almost an impossibility a 3-4 minute average might be more realistic) would have to spend about 110 minutes to achieve the points that a fight resulting in the destruction of just a CA would be worth on AOTK III.  I think at that ratio of return a two hour fight looks about right.  But if its a 15 minute fight your getting a steal.

I don't think the problem is in the balance of PvP vs Territory VCs, if there is a problem it is in having players to engage in equal fights so that PvP can become more relevant.  A system rewarding people for 3v1 jumps wont do that, you often chase out the folkes who could provide an equal matchup to one of your guys.  Of course this pushing someone out of a hex also can have a VC impact, but on the territorial side.   With the disengagement rule, PvP has become a tool used to obtain territorial VCs, and attributing all territorail VCs to "hex flippers" is not factually correct.  Is this a bad thing?  Depends on your perspective.  If you want PvP to have an impact on the map, no, it achieves just this.  If you want PvP points to become more important as compared to territorail VCs, yes, the forcing out of players who are engaged in mismatches generally reduces direct PvP VCs by dramatic amounts, not allowing them to return immediately to fight when the odds are more balanced,

This is an interesting analysis but my answer to it is this.  What won ATOK3?  Answer: The first round map VCs.  After that, nothing mattered especially with the server numbers.

And to add insult to injury, it is patently false that map VCs are not won by flippers.  There was nothing but flipping in ATOK3,  nothing but defending and running up hexes underneath someone else.  Also, I would say historically, map VCs are almost always "won"  by the conditions that make it possible for them to be taken: consistent imbalanced server numbers and hence imbalanced mission totals.  That means nearly by definition that it is indeed flipping hexes against the AI that wins a server and that to me is putrid.  As you said yourself, players in long PvP missions are just wasting time as they could have run many more missions in the time spent.  You know you said it and we all know it is true.

By the by, how did the Coalition destroy the Kitties map VC points in the second round again:  Answer: by flipping a couple of hexes.  Did they struggle?  Did they fight?  Did they PvP to win it?  Nope, just flipped some hexes when no one was looking.  That is the entire problem with the dynaverse right there.  That is the mindset.  No offense to the Coalition players.  Perfectly legal and such, but that it comes down to that is pathetic for all of us.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2007, 07:57:41 am »
Put it back in your pants, big boy, lest someone lops it off.

Your the one who came with the intent to piss on others by your own admission, zip it up yourself or see yourself  castrated even more for such a loathsome approach.

------------

Now back to the real discussion.

This is an interesting analysis but my answer to it is this.  What won ATOK3?  Answer: The first round map VCs. 

Yes and no.  The VCs did not win it, the map positioning did put the Kitties in the drivers seat.  Now considering that after the fist 36 hours the Kitties had taken the center planet and one other and the Coalition had taken none opting instead to take 2 resupply planets and set up a three front approach. The number of missions run was nearly identical, in fact when DH ran the numbers the Coalition had run more missions when the center planet was taken by the Kitties.  This was strategy.  Yes it was based on hexflipping, I don't disagree, but based on flipping the right hexes.  Fast forward a day or so and the Kitties hold 6 of the Nip planet and the Coalition 1, the Kitties had the best position by far, but the holdings were in a very narrow zone.  lets move to your next statement.

After that, nothing mattered especially with the server numbers.

Server numbers were as close as can be expected, the margin of 88% as many missions run after week 1 and 94% after week two is closer than can realistically be expected.  The differentials resulted also from the kitties having established the interior supply lines with less distance to travel and their ability to fight on any front without switchng races, due to the opening strategy and the Coalition's persistance on a three front war rather than a focus on one front and a stong join hex flipping and PvP drive on just one front.  Again strategy.

And to add insult to injury, it is patently false that map VCs are not won by flippers. 

Noone said they weren't.  But PvP is sometimes needed to facilitate the flipping by driving a foe off and allowing your sides flipper to act with immunity.  Not always, but sometimes.

There was nothing but flipping in ATOK3,  nothing but defending and running up hexes underneath someone else. 

I guess all those PvP points didn't happen? All those chase outs?

Admittingly, there could have been even more.  The Coalition was trailing on the map and could have chosen to concentrate their efforts on a single front to push towards 1 VC at a time instead of spreading out on 3 fronts, they didn't.  Although there were focused pushes at times with differing degrees of sucess, in general they continued most of the server with a 3 front approach.  If they had sought out  a single concentrated push would have led to more PvP.  The opportunity was there for the disadvantaged side, they just went with a different strategy.

Additionally, The Alliance made great usage of narrow lines of supply of the coalition to force players off a front by drafting opponents on hexes that would drive them off a whole front, or draft them on their bases and planets so their resupply would be more difficult.  PvP used to enact strategy.  This was not hex-flipping, this was PvP used to facilitate hex flipping.  Think of it like modern warfare with aerial bombardment and artillery providing a means for the infantry to go in and seize objectives.  Without the aerial and artillery support the infantry may fail, without the infantry the bombardment serves little purpose.  AOTK III saw these acting in harmony to a great extent.

Also, I would say historically, map VCs are almost always "won"  by the conditions that make it possible for them to be taken: consistent imbalanced server numbers and hence imbalanced mission totals. 

Do not disagree with this statement.  Player numbers is definately the #1 factor.  Address this issue, not the ones you have been diverted by which are really not major factors.

That means nearly by definition that it is indeed flipping hexes against the AI that wins a server and that to me is putrid. 

On a server with a large player imbalance, yes if its a two sided server.  On a three or more sided or where the numbers are close, no.

As you said yourself, players in long PvP missions are just wasting time as they could have run many more missions in the time spent.

No, players who are in PvP missions are not wasting their time as shown by my analysis above, at least for the most part.  Exceptions being where they have no realistic chance of sucess in their PvP match and will end up dead or being chased away by superior forces anywy; or  where they are engaged in an unimportant area against a foe worth few points and likely to just run off, at a cruicial time when they are needed in heavy metal ships to tilt the balance of an important map VC struggle.  It all comes down to whether the amount and liklihood of VCs in their PvP battle, and/or the importance of the battle location and control of the hex are factored against other things taking place on the map.

You know you said it and we all know it is true.

Under certain circumstances, yes, in others no.  depends on the overall picture at the time.  What I do think inefficient is flying a bunch of slow hex flippers, when better options of the same race exist, behind the lines for extended periods of time with no plan to engage in PvP, or when no opposition is on that is challanging an area.  Why send several BCHs to do a light cruiser's work.  I understand the need for one or two on the map as a deterrent to the enemy or as a fast response should the enemy decide to suddenly challange the area however.

By the by, how did the Coalition destroy the Kitties map VC points in the second round again:  Answer: by flipping a couple of hexes.  Did they struggle?  Did they fight?  Did they PvP to win it?  Nope, just flipped some hexes when no one was looking.

What they did was in compliance with server rules and thus just smart thinking.  That being said, I do have an objection to it, but not towards the players, but towards the rules.  I think that noone should be permitted to log off in enemy or neutral space (except in emergency).  If you go "deepstriking" in these areas you should be required to fight your way in and out without logging off.  To be able to work when noone is on then log off for a last minute VC grab while being in a position not trackable on the news strikes me as a bad ruleset in this area.  Of course a more careful check of the supplylines by Alliance players could have detected and defeated this, but I think that a careful watching of the news should be able to indicate such. 

Imagine if you had 20 players who worked accounts to be deep within enemy space when noone was on, then 15 minutes before a VC round ended have them all jump back into those accounts and launch 20 planet assaults all holding at debrief until 1 minute before VC end and coming out together.  In that case no amount of checking DVs would allow this to be detected.  In fact you could have them place seperate accounts beside every VC objective on the first week of a server and pull them out as needed. This needs to be addressed in server rules before it is totally exploited.

That is the entire problem with the dynaverse right there.  That is the mindset.  No offense to the Coalition players.  Perfectly legal and such, but that it comes down to that is pathetic for all of us.

Its not perfect yet, tweaks still needed here and there, but if you get rid of hexflipping, you need to get rid of the map.  As long as both sides have access to hex flippers and comparable PvP ability there is a role for everything.  As long as the potential payoff for PvP victory is equitable as it was on AOTK III as demonstrated above with my analysis there is a valuable role for everyone to fulfill. The inclusion of a 3 VC rule for all specialty ships was a good addition to the ruleset.  Perhaps a VC penalty for disengagement from equal numbered fights is needed, but in general very well balanced.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2007, 08:44:48 pm »
Chutt, I think you are missing some of Lepton's point.   

and before you go breaking down this message to reply to every inch of it, I wont be regurgitating every part.

DID PvP make a very noticable difference, as in, could the PvP have been enough to throw the winning team into the losing team by as much as what the difference was?  AS IN:  Week 3, the coalition was down by 12 % in missions.  Was there ANY hope that they could score enough PvP to make them  jump up enough to gain the lead by 12% in total points even when down in missions?  NO.

As it stands the PvP is not decisive enough to make a 24% difference of running AI missions.   

Lepton, unfortunately if there were a server where you could get that much differing just in PvP, the enemy who is losing those points in PvP would stop showing up to the PvP and hope their hex flipping would be enough to turn the tide.  It is the way of the game.  There may be 2 fronts(ie:PvP and hexflipping) but the team with the edge in PvP will lose the battle totals because hexflipping will become the enemy's way.

I hope this clears some of this up.  If not, well, I tried.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2007, 09:48:56 pm »

and before you go breaking down this message to reply to every inch of it, I wont be regurgitating every part.

DID PvP make a very noticable difference, as in, could the PvP have been enough to throw the winning team into the losing team by as much as what the difference was?  AS IN:  Week 3, the coalition was down by 12 % in missions.  Was there ANY hope that they could score enough PvP to make them  jump up enough to gain the lead by 12% in total points even when down in missions?  NO.

As it stands the PvP is not decisive enough to make a 24% difference of running AI missions.   

Lepton, unfortunately if there were a server where you could get that much differing just in PvP, the enemy who is losing those points in PvP would stop showing up to the PvP and hope their hex flipping would be enough to turn the tide.  It is the way of the game.  There may be 2 fronts(ie:PvP and hexflipping) but the team with the edge in PvP will lose the battle totals because hexflipping will become the enemy's way.

D2 isn't about PvP, it's a hex-flipping game with PvP elements that support hex-flipping.  That's the nature of the game that will not change ever.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2007, 05:23:57 pm »

Well the reson that they were down initially was due to strategy plain and simple.  The missions run the first 36 hours were equal in number but not stragegically equal.  Number of missions did not establish this initial lead.  Was there any hope once they were way down in overcoming the lead?  Not really, although statiscally possible.  However, had they also made a run straight to the center planets on once front and not allowed the center to be largely uncontested initially, there would not have been such a huge lead and PvP could easily be the determining factor had they grabbed say three planets, and had spent efforts digging in around them to the Kitty's 4 planets.  they ended up taking 2 initially, but nevr managed to dig in around them  or establish one solid approach several hexes wide, instead having three divergent lines that were narrow and easy to use PvP to bump them off of.

In short the server setup and numbers was such that PvP may well have been the deciding factor given a differnt Coalition strategy.  The fact that it wasn't later cannot be blamed on hexflipping but is a direct result of strategies chosen and their execution.  I play for strategy, and any effort to make it where strategy is totally unimportant given equal numbers just so PvP can automatically be the deciding factor will be an effort I'm not willing to participate in.  If I wanted this, I'd join a ladder league.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2007, 05:32:29 pm »

D2 isn't about PvP, it's a hex-flipping game with PvP elements that support hex-flipping.  That's the nature of the game that will not change ever.

Yup, D2 without hex-flippin might as well not have a map as it would serve little or no purpose.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2007, 05:45:18 pm »
Yeas...but it depends how you have the hexes flip...

Ahh genius..pure genius..
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"