Topic: SFB Fans....  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
Re: SFB Fans....
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 03:29:24 pm »
mm... I like both versions, but for the purposes of representing the SFU, I think the first one is better. I'm not really a fan of double-neckers, but your second design looks so good that this detail is trivial compared to the rest of the model.
one could be a later variant, or a Tal'Shiar variant(???) ::)

Offline Star Dragon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 04:47:24 pm »
Very interesting, lets see it with paint.

Anyway, I can't help it. When I first saw it, my mind erased the wings and rear body and said, "wouldn't that Bow and Nacels be a good start on a pimped out Deadelus Class?"

I'm wierd...   :D

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 07:36:35 pm »
mm... I like both versions, but for the purposes of representing the SFU, I think the first one is better. I'm not really a fan of double-neckers, but your second design looks so good that this detail is trivial compared to the rest of the model.

*Shrugs* A TNG/TMP refit? Hey, Excelsior lasted that long, why couldn't other ships? :)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 02:22:28 am »

*Shrugs* A TNG/TMP refit? Hey, Excelsior lasted that long, why couldn't other ships? :)

You know I wonder about that often. I would have loved to have seen a ConnieRefit or two somewhere in DS9. I find it hard to believe that if the Miranda lasted that long, so could have the Connie2. One thing that always bothered me about Star Trek is there is a HUGE universe out there, and all that is really covered is how it affects ONE ship. At least, thats how it was in TNG. DS9 was better, a larger scope as it were. Obviously Voyager you couldn't really ask for such a thing due to the basic premise of the show. I never got into Enterprise enough to know how it was handled.
But I think you see my point.
I for one think the "lines" between eras need to be blurred a lot more, make things more gradual.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 03:07:10 am »
I believe it was an intentional decision on the part of the creators not to show the constitution refit in the series. The Constellation, after all, was supposed to be a constitution. From what I've read, the Bozeman also was supposed to be a constitution, but to save money (And the mysterious other reason), they refitted the Miranda model into the Soyuz class. I believe the only reason the excelsior, Miranda, and Oberth stayed around was because they could not afford the cost to feild new ship designs. (Though feel free to enlighten me if there is a real reason why the Constitution never appeared).

I believe it was contempt for the design, personally, since the TNG staff wanted to trump their baby and ignore the past, but that's my own opinion.

Back to this design, I like how it harks back to the original BoP, in whatever time period it's set (TMP?). It obviously looks like the "new series" Romulan battleship from SFB, which makes it a nice candidate for a cost-saving measure to just update some of the old designs. Could be a stablemate to the TOS warbird -> KA warbird, which seems to be an obvious refit of an older design.

In the end, maybe they became monitors by the TMP era? That's what happened to the Union Navy's old ironclads at any rate, which were considered the first battleships at the time of the civil war.

Anyways... Atlom, is there an ETA on this design? Or is it one of several floating. If it's released, she'll fill my sublight Romulan BB slot, since IIRC it is filled by a regular BoP in the stock game...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:18:37 am by Norsehound »

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 04:13:08 am »
I'd hate to say it, but I think you're right.

Anyways - I like the model. If you look at Atolm's late TNG rommies, and his original Pre-TOS fleet, and this, you can see the progression of design, the "influences" of different in-universe designers and the overall "cultural" design.
Thats why i like atolm's work so much - it feels like he taps into the source of a design so easily.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."