Topic: Been playing around....  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Been playing around....
« on: April 29, 2007, 06:06:33 am »
I recently decided to take up spec map practicing again, and I think I might be on the right track.

Using the tips TUS provided on WZ's forums, I've been playing around not only with making spec maps to my liking, but also applying them and playing with the settings in 3DS Max.

When I got the settings I thought looked right, I ended up with a personally pleasant surprise, a metallic look to the hull.

Please forgive the size of the renders.  I just couldn't not make them that big.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Geks

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Been playing around....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 06:19:15 am »
Ohhhhh BIG and SHINY  ;D

Looks great, and that model is fantastic  ;)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 06:23:25 am »
wow that looks great fantastic job I'll be looking forward to dowloading the SFC OP version  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:24:18 am »
Ohhhhh BIG and SHINY  ;D

Looks great, and that model is fantastic  ;)

That's Wicked Zombie's model, not mine.  I can only take credit for the renders and specular effects.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:25:22 am »
wow that looks great fantastic job I'll be looking forward to dowloading the SFC OP version  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Again, this is WZ's ship.  He makes his ships ready for all SFC games.  http://drs.battleclinic.com

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:48:51 pm »
Wow, that doesn't look merely metallic, it looks burnished!

She looks fantastic...
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:46:18 am »
Thanks for all the compliments everyone.  I really appreciate them.

Any comments or tips on how to improve my results?  Any recommended settings in Photoshop when making the spec maps, or any recommended settings in MAX for the spec effects?

Offline Geks

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 09:56:45 am »
Nah, in my opinion you are reaching the limits specular mapping can achieve here with this model, lighting is a massive one, mabey a little bumpmapping.. but ur doing a great job in ur renders.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 09:58:49 am »
Nah, in my opinion you are reaching the limits specular mapping can achieve here with this model, lighting is a massive one, mabey a little bumpmapping.. but ur doing a great job in ur renders.

Aside from TMP and TNG registries, renders, basic ones anyway, are a specialty.  As for bump mapping, never learned that.

Offline Geks

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 10:01:10 am »
A difficult one to apply if you never created the texures, results can be amazing though in the correct lighting rig, mabey one too google  ;)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 12:13:24 am »
most fed ships are smooth hull, w/ panel lines being pretty much the only thing that might need bump maping.....
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:34:32 pm »
That is some amazing attn to detail. And some really huge pix ;D

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 10:54:53 pm »
I can't take credit for the detail.  Again, WZ's model.  I'm still playing with different specular settings to fine tune the look.  As for the size of the images, I wanted to make sure anyone who responded could see the details on the ship and give advice on other settings and such.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 06:07:35 am »
I'm in love with that rear firing photon tube. That just looks like it was born there. Who did that? WZ?

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 03:11:19 pm »
Yep.  I should start posting credits on the renders I post here.  :-p  It'll save me time.

The model in them there pretty renders is WZ's.

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 10:47:08 am »

That's one gorgeous ship ! 

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 02:03:22 am »
have you consider trying to do it up as if it were in the same conditions as the enterprise A in the shipyard? These, fine as they are, don't show the ship as it would be in space in a scene from the movies. Justa thought. Oh and keep the renders frelling huge otherwise it's kinda pointless :D

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 04:15:17 am »
have you consider trying to do it up as if it were in the same conditions as the enterprise A in the shipyard? These, fine as they are, don't show the ship as it would be in space in a scene from the movies. Justa thought. Oh and keep the renders frelling huge otherwise it's kinda pointless :D

I never thought about doing those kinda renders, then again never really had any desire to, but it is something to think about.  I'll consider it.

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 06:16:19 am »

I never thought about doing those kinda renders, then again never really had any desire to, but it is something to think about.  I'll consider it.

Here's a little something u could do:

Kick a skylight into the scene, anywhere. Then just turn on shadows and leave it on 20 rays minimum, and whoalla, insta shadowing.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 06:28:30 am »

Here's a little something u could do:

Kick a skylight into the scene, anywhere. Then just turn on shadows and leave it on 20 rays minimum, and whoalla, insta shadowing.

I would need to be taught how to do that.  The lighting I used in the renders was courteousy of TUS.  He had sent me his lighting rig long time ago, and that's what I use for light in renders.

But I would be more than willing to learn how to do what you suggest.