Topic: Defcon looks pretty cool.  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Defcon looks pretty cool.
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:07:05 pm »
http://www.defconvideogame.com/

It's based loosely on the old Movie Wargames.

Introversion Software and Pinnacle Software present, DEFCON, a stunning online multiplayer simulation of global thermonuclear war.

You play the role of a military Commander hidden deep within an underground bunker. Your mission - to successfully exterminate your enemy's civilian population whilst disabling their ability to attack your own. Start by launching your battleships, subs and bombers in order to decimate your opponent's defenses. Scramble together your alliances but remember only one can stand victorious.

Prepare your pre-emptive strike before one of your supposed allies gets the same idea. Choose the perfect moment for betrayal, obliterating your opponents with an apocalyptic thermonuclear barrage, but get it wrong and their devastating counter attack will bring you to your knees!

It's Global Thermonuclear War, and nobody wins. But maybe - just maybe - you can lose the least.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Re: Defcon looks pretty cool.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:54:09 am »
DLing the demo now.
This should be amusing.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:37 am »
Let me know how it works. Damn weather and all that bro.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 09:39:43 am »
I tried it and it's great.  An advanced vrsion of Nuclear Escilation from War Games.
I liked the simple graphics and great gameplay.  One of the efforts I like.  Great game with less lipstick.   
I still have yet to purchase it.  My financal manager has to give e the okay on it beforehand!  She kept sidestepping it when I described it to her.

If I do get it, I guess I should get the sound bite and have it as my windows logon sound.

"Would you like to play a game?"

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 04:23:33 pm »
I'll d/l it and give it a shot.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:58:46 pm »
Hmm, the Demo is pretty boring.

Started out playing the US vs. the USSR (the classic cold war scenario).  I decided NOT to attack until attacked.  I placed two Silos in the Highly populated areas since they also act as anti-missile shields.  I put the others in non-populated areas as well as my airfields.

Whilst still in Defcon 3 and maneuvering my fleets, they ran into trouble in the Pacific.  I got hit hard and though I managed to take out one of their fleets, they annihilated all my Pacific fleet other than my subs.

In the Atlantic I fared better, and wiped out their fleets easily. 

Then we sat...and sat...and sat.  At 30 minutes into Defcon 5 they launched their missiles.  They had first strike and it looked like it was ugly..but at least they allowed me to detect where ALL their silos were.

So I unleashed the silos in the populated areas.  Their missiles were going there anyways, so those silos would be destroyed probably quickly regardless.  I aimed for all their silos.

Off the Coast of China I utilized my Hidden Pacific subs to launch an all out strike on the three silos they had on the East coast of the USSR, and used my aircraft carriers in the Atlantic to carry out a strike on the Silos and Radars in USSR West.

My cities were hit as I finally opened up with my silos in the Dakotas against one Silo in the USSR that continually somehow survived my hits. 

At that point I saw a countdown counter...what?  The game was going to end, but I still had tons of ammo left!!!

I also noticed I had a remarkably low score compared to the enemy, which I suppose meant that they had killed more of my civilians.  At this point however, I still had most of my military left inclusive of remaining silos and subs whilst they had Nothing but one unlocated Airport left.

I unleashed hell however not enough before the end of the game.

So I ended up with killing only 75 million of theirs, and they ended up killing 79 million of mine.

However had it been allowed to continue, I STILL had 30 missiles left to their none.  Just a minute or two more and I think I could have not only caught up but perhaps done a total annihilation of them.

However it is kind of boring sitting there watching the game.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.