Topic: AOTK3: Wild Geease  (Read 2574 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
AOTK3: Wild Geease
« on: April 30, 2007, 11:27:29 am »
There will be no Wild Geese on AOTK3.   Nobody will be forced to switch sides, there will be no Balancing acts or any of the crap that pises people off.

HOWEVER, if the server is a blowout I'm simply going to end it early.  I'm leaving this up to the PLAYERS to balance out.  Anyone can switch sides at any time for any reason, I will give PP bumps with DB edits when needed.  "Victory" is an illusion in D2 and the most fun server have always been the ones where it was close until the last seconds (anyone remember GW4?).  Blowouts are boring, for me even more boring when you win. 

You want a long server?   Balance it out.  A total blowout will be called in the first week.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
Re: AOTK3: Wild Geease
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 01:32:29 pm »
There will be no Wild Geese on AOTK3.   Nobody will be forced to switch sides, there will be no Balancing acts or any of the crap that pises people off.

HOWEVER, if the server is a blowout I'm simply going to end it early.  I'm leaving this up to the PLAYERS to balance out.  Anyone can switch sides at any time for any reason, I will give PP bumps with DB edits when needed.  "Victory" is an illusion in D2 and the most fun server have always been the ones where it was close until the last seconds (anyone remember GW4?).  Blowouts are boring, for me even more boring when you win. 

You want a long server?   Balance it out.  A total blowout will be called in the first week.

Don't recall GW4, but I do recall the nail biters of Storm Season I and II and those were my favorite servers.

I like this approach.  I would also recommend an updayed suggestion posting in which the admin posts which side is in the most need so that anyone joining the server in progress is given a heads up before they log on for the first time to encourage them to give extra consideration to the side in need.  This ranking would start as "Neutral" then shift as the server developed.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 01:56:13 pm »
I would reccommend as a bit of common sense that those switching sides notify their current teammates 24 hours in advance of doing so in order that they may be excluded from the most current operational plans.  Even if they do their best not to act on what they know there will be a subconscious knowlegde of such plans.  Even the most fair-play minded individual will be likely influenced in some way by such knowledge, and a 24 hour notice will help alleviate some of this, although larger strategies may still be known to the player.

I think a 24 hour guidline is a good show of courtesy.

I might also recommend that any players switching not ask for admittance to the other sides forum for another 24-72 hours until it becomes clear whether they will likely be staying there for a considerable time.  By not joining the other forums it would be easier for them to return to their origional side for much the same reason.  Voice comes and chat communication alone should be sufficient for up to 3 days without a big impact on their effectiveness IMHO.  After 3 days I think it safe to include them in all planning.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 02:06:55 pm »
I'm leaving this entirely up to the discretion of the palyers.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:13:08 pm »
I'm leaving this entirely up to the discretion of the palyers.

Oh I agree, I wasn't suggesting those as rules, just as something for everyone as players to consider.

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:49:32 pm »
You bring this sever down when the odds are 5-1 against me and I will biatch slap you into next week.
I aint kidding .. As for me I intend to join the side with the least number of pilots.. and woe unto my enemy. All I ask is a few good wings to share the joy of battle.
Duck

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 03:17:43 pm »
Perhaps numbers wouldn't be an issue if proper pre-campaign recruitment is done.
the second week of SGO6 saw a dramatic increase in alliance numbers after a little pimping by DH.
Perhaps if similar procedures are done BEFORE the campaign starts, it'll remain more even for the duration... ;)
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 03:38:58 pm »

Perhaps if similar procedures are done BEFORE the campaign starts, it'll remain more even for the duration... ;)

Servers are won before they start...

And DH, you always take the path of least resistance. :P Basically, the server has WG, but as written, the admin is taken out of the picture in deploying them. ;) The approach is novel in one respect, which I rather enjoy, you are telling the player base that it's time they act more responsibly. Unfortunately, there are players like myself who haven't won a server in years, always joining the losing side so we have more targets to kill.  ;D I hope you connect with the more responsible nutters who are the ones that need to take your idea to heart. GL.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 03:43:27 pm »

Unfortunately, there are players like myself who haven't won a server in years, always joining the losing side so we have more targets to kill. 

*cough* Bulls*** *cough*
 :P
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 04:30:46 pm »
Servers are won before they start...

And DH, you always take the path of least resistance. :P Basically, the server has WG, but as written, the admin is taken out of the picture in deploying them. ;) The approach is novel in one respect, which I rather enjoy, you are telling the player base that it's time they act more responsibly. Unfortunately, there are players like myself who haven't won a server in years, always joining the losing side so we have more targets to kill.  ;D I hope you connect with the more responsible nutters who are the ones that need to take your idea to heart. GL.

People will generally find more happiness if they take responsibility for their own fun, and less happiness if it is attempted to be thrust upon then by an outside force.  People play for different reasons and find their fun based upon those reasons.  For some switching sides will best satisfy that fun if there is a lack of balance, for others such balance is not the thing that generates their fun.  These folk could enjoy flying with their fleetmates, flying the ships of a certain race they have chosen as their main, or flying ships of a race for the first time.  It could also be fun for some to fly on the outnumbered side, ie, flying against very long odds, or flying in a target rich environment.  It could be still other factors, such as being a stragegist and  planning a server long strategy through from beginning to end, watching it develope and making adjustments based on conditions, being a leader and motivating their team watching the cohesion grow as the server developed, being a loose cannon deepstriker and taking days or even weeks to set up a sudden and quick exploitation in the enemy position, etc. 

The fact is, balance is nice and most people find balanced servers the most rewarding, but for some it is not essential for their enjoyment.  I don't think balance generally hurts most of the other motives I mentioned greatly, although efforts to enforce it can do so to minor degrees, and therefore I prefer it, but it is not necessarily required for many of the players to enjoy themselves.  A blowout, is a bit of another matter, and players need make their own judgements about whether to switch or not as Die Hard has outlined, but a lesser imbalance in itself has certain charm for some.  I know AOTK was a bad situation for the Kitties due to numbers, but we managed to really have a great time even so and it ranks in my top 3 servers ever.  If you have good company even bad situations can be wonderful and a defeat on the map is of no real consequence in such situations.