Topic: Need some help with set-up  (Read 2894 times)

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
Need some help with set-up
« on: April 21, 2007, 09:36:52 pm »
OK...here's the deal.  I can start up SFCIII v534_b with no problem and connect to the dynaverse.  When I get there it takes a while for the refresh and join buttons to become active, and I see no servers at all, just a blank screen.  After hitting back and exiting the game, my internet connection will not work anymore and I've got to shut down windows and reboot my DSL Router.  Any suggestions?

My system Specs:

Windows XP Media Center edition w/sp 2
DirectX 9.0c
Onboard sound (realtek, I believe)
Onboard Network

MSI Mobo with Nvidia Nforce 500 SLI chipset.
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
2 Gigs PC6400 (800mhz) ram
2 Nvidia 6800 GT video cards in SLI.

DSL
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
Re: Need some help with set-up
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:19:10 pm »
check ports to see if they are open for the server too. usually i dmz the server and use ports for the others. Also you cant play on same machine as server. If you need more help post at www.gfluniverse.org and post in law forum

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 05:57:39 am »
I'm not trying to set up a server, just to connect to an active one.

I'm not using a router, I'm connected directly to my modem.  Is there something I need to look at port-wise in this instance? 

I get to the load screen and the connect and refresh buttons both become active, but there is nothing in the list and when I exit the game, my internet connection will not work.
"Look at him now, poor fellow. That's what a dose of reality does for you... Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations."

Offline T' Kang

• T' Kang
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:43:56 pm »
Maverick posted this a while back…

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163362630.msg1122657831.html#msg1122657831

Beyond that, hassles with anti-virus programs and gamespy connections (Registry-Pagefile SNAFU)…

Things that have helped for some in the past include:

1)   Remove SFC3, and Gamespy Arcade.
2)   Clean-up Registry, Pagefile and boot-defrag with chkdsk.
3)   Load SFC3 and patch to v534b. Do not go to multi-player (online).
4)   Defrag
5)   Load latest version of GameSpy arcade. This will open the ports.
6)   Update user accounts as required.
7)   This should have you running.
8.   For some though they need to uninstall the anti-virus/firewall. Some anti-virus/firewall programs still block the ports. The easiest for some has been to reload and let the program’s installer config the ports to the games.

Hope this helps.
sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
APR D3 (c) Mod Director

Offline The_Joker

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 03:12:21 pm »
Thanks, T'Kang.  I'll try your suggestions and read that post.