Topic: Recent Outage - and a fire !  (Read 2932 times)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Recent Outage - and a fire !
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:43:47 pm »
Oh man, I'm glad to be back - we're glad to be back!

I want to thank Mr.Cue for his assistance in getting us back up!!

I apologize for the recent outage, here's what happened:

All of the servers run off a APC UPS, we recently had a APC UPS 1400RM donated to us for use to protect the servers from brown outs, etc. I purchased replacement parts for the unit, and inspected it for obvious damage. Finding none, I then purchased some 5 simple-signaling cables and put back into production a APC Interface expander 1 U that allowed one to take a single UPS and run up to five servers off it and have them all shut down gracefully when a power outage is detected.

It worked great for all of 3 months, then Monday I came home and it had burnt up.

LITERALLY.

There was that horrifying electrical stench in the air, and I ran into the study where I run all the servers and immediately noticed they were all off. I then proceeded to look at the UPS, and knew immediately from the black soot marks on the wall and the side of the UPS that something was really frakked up. I removed the power, then took the lid off.

The inside was a fused piece of slag. The heat from the fire had been so hot it MELT the backplane sticker into rivulets that flowed down the back of the UPS and then hardened. Some of the simple-signaling cables that had been leaning on the back of the UPS (drapped, really) had actually melted enough where the plastic had ran onto the back of the metal top plate of the UPS, but they still seemed to work. It had to be a very QUICK but INTENSE fire. I am lucky I still have a house, and that my two demondogs still have their lives.

Just so you know - I took the non-rack mount Smart UPS 1400 I have for my machine, LCD, etc. and put it in production for the servers. All monitoring is still functional, and as I write this I am restarting TheForge. As of this date we've collected a mere $350 dollars for the fund raiser, so the new APC UPS I ordered that costs $350 puts us even, and that means nothing goes towards defraying the cost of hosting the site. We here at D.Net host FTP, websites for the community, provide free IRC servers, Teamspeak servers, and of course operate the Directory Servers for EAW / OP online campaigns. Cmon, peeps, let's start remembering what it's like to be a member of a greater thing, and send in just $2 !! If everyone sent in $2, we could get a new server to run the webs AND pay for the rest of the year!

How hard could that be?

So think about it. Support the longest OFFICIAL SFC Series site on the internet. Send in a couple bucks, that's all we're asking. Let us ensure that all of these things continue to happen, and this community continues to remain alive and well!

Thanks for your time,

Frey
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:53:48 pm by FA_Frey_XC »
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: Recent Outage - and a fire !
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:12:07 pm »
I just sent $10 U.S. from the great white north via paypal, a moment ago.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:21:14 pm »
Damn luckey you didnt loose everything...

I'll fire off a few bucks as well... ;)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:22:39 pm »
NO doubt Crim.

Frey is your house OK? Bucks inbound on the third.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:27:39 pm »

Cmon, peeps, let's start remembering what it's like to be a member of a greater thing, and send in just $2

On the way.

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Alphageek

• How can Gallifrey be gone?!
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:38:25 pm »
Damn, Frey, I wish I could send in money.  My meds mean we're barely treading water.  I'll try to talk my partner into shooting off a few bucks your way.  This site means more to me than words can say.

Edit:  Jesus, sorry about the fire.  You must have crapped a green brick.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:02:50 pm by Alphageek »

Offline Hilton

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • WoWGuideOnline.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:52:06 pm »
I just sent you a donation too. Hope it helps. :)

Hilton

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:02:52 am »
That sucks. Well, half the peeps have more than one account, so you'll need everyone to donate 3 bucks. ;) I'll donate 200... pesos. :P Be expecting a check. And glad you got the site back up. Nice work. Oh, and wonder why your house didnt burn down? Sounds like it sure could have.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:08:50 am »
Yea, I pretty much did shiat a green brick...

and the WIFE.... OMG....

Thanks everyone for the donations !!!!

I wanted to take pictures of the UPC but my wife made me get it out of the house, and by the time I got home the next day from work, it was gone.

THose dudes in the beat up truck got it , I suspect. The ones that every neighboorhood has you know?

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 12:32:20 pm »
Wow, glad you are still around and about.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 02:23:09 pm »
Glad to see no one got hurt or lost their home.

I honestly thought that was it for this site.  I am glad its not as I wanted to get some email addresses and stuff of friends here.

Seems like all too often in this cyberworld the plug gets pulled...I can think of SL, GZ, Taldren, etc...BOOM...its gone with little warning.

Glad that wasn't the case.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 06:32:09 pm »
I still can't connect to http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php or to http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php#6 I can only navigate directly from one forum to another. For example http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/board,16.0.html to http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php?board=11.0 via the "Jump to" drop down window. Is anyone else having the same problem? I don't see where anyone has mentioned it.

I'm happy that all is well and you didn't loose everything. You might want to check with the manufacturer of the device that went bad (If I read the problem and understand it correctly). There might be a warranty.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 08:27:47 pm »
 :o

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:13:06 pm »
Glad to see no one got hurt or lost their home.

I honestly thought that was it for this site.  I am glad its not as I wanted to get some email addresses and stuff of friends here.

Seems like all too often in this cyberworld the plug gets pulled...I can think of SL, GZ, Taldren, etc...BOOM...its gone with little warning.

Glad that wasn't the case.

That will NEVER happen here.

I will let everyone know WELL in advance of when I suspect the site will close... and that's not in the future.

:D

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 07:51:54 pm »
Hey Frey-

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could've been!  :o

While I'm not much into anything anymore, I still like to come & check on y'all from time to time. Kudos to all of you a D-Net for keeping the flame alive! I just realized the other day that now even Interplay is pretty well washed up- that came as a big surprise to me. The point is, you guys are pretty well the last bastion of online SFC being available, and continuing to provide a central community hall of sorts as well. My hats off, my respects, & if I can posibly swing it, I'll send in a donation SAP.

Keep up the good work!!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 11:05:16 pm »
When I try to access the site in FireFox theres a message saying that Dynaverse.net will be right back.  I didn't even think to try IE as I hardly use it anymore, but after checking my mail I forgot that my MSN account still opens in IE and it accessed the site without a hitch.

(And I am very sorry, but with my Grandfather's death last month that ate up all the spare cash I had lying around, if you'll take some money later this month I'll be happy to send some then)
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:34 am »
i just give a $5.00 usd  :pirate:

so the electric fire was due to what and it started where???

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 07:44:49 pm »
I've worked with UPS supplies in 3PR companies but never heard of one catching fire before now.

I kind of figurethat this was a battery bus bar caused fire as the mains electical supply part has so many safety trips (by law in most countries) that it shuts off if shorted. The most that ever happens is a thristor goes to Silicon Heaven and a large cap does a smoke grenade impression. Always guaranteed to gain a round of applause from fellow bench engineers!!

I have had two UPS units spark and smoke when being carried in my arms because the unsecured bus bars managed to touch the casing inside. These weren't even in use and had just come in for repair.

It is always best to open up and check the battery bus bars after a UPS units after transit to ensure that all the battery connections and similar haven't moved enough to touch casings, etc.

There is approximately 250 Amperes stored in these things just waiting to cause trouble.

They are, by design, intended to contain fires anyway.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!