Topic: Silent Hunter IV  (Read 4087 times)

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
Silent Hunter IV
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:54:06 pm »
Has anyone here gotten this game yet? :)

Curious KAT wants to know. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Silent Hunter IV
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:27:31 pm »
This game should not have been released in the state it is in.  The radar and sonar stations aren't modeled in any usable fashion.  The crew voices are practically nonexistant.  They couldn't even implement imperial measurements instead of metric.  And as much as I maligned the Nazi perspective in the last game, at least it had a significant step forward in the genre by making your crew interactive.  This game takes a dramatic step backwards by not making the officers and crew interactive.  All in all, SH4 is a major dissapointment.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:21:55 am »
A patch has been in the works, the radar and sonar stations do work.

go to subsim.com and you will see all that has been written.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 09:59:54 am »
Looks pretty buggy. What are the system specs?

I'm still pissed of at Ubi's choice in copy protection frying my DVD drive.

It's going to have to be pretty damn good to get me to buy SHIV.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 02:36:22 pm »
That's a big, extensive patch to be out so soon.  What, did some intern forget to apply that to the master copy before it shipped? ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:12:28 pm »
SH4.  Been looking for a new wargame.  Not sure if this is my cup of tea though.

I think of it like Das Boat (newly purchased digitally remastered DVD with 1 more hour of footage).  Boring mostly, followed by a few moments of sheer terror.  3 hours to sink 2 ships :)  Awesomely great movie though. Definitely the standard for any sub-movie to meet.

I never played an online sub sim, so not sure how well I'd stack up against the sub vets out there.  Only way to learn is to die, though.  I tend to find the "official campaigns" for all games to be rather boring after a while.

What's the multiplayer like, for anyone that's playing it?  Does it match up with a Destroyer Sim game?  So that we can play cat & mouse like the big boys did?
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:58:10 pm »
That's a big, extensive patch to be out so soon.  What, did some intern forget to apply that to the master copy before it shipped? ;D

Actually, it was in the works before the game was released.

Now my rant, I have yet to see the game here in Dallas. And it has been 3 days since the release. The distribution system sucks the big one.

I will right more later.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:12:36 pm »
I just picked it up last night, gonna install and play it tonight =)

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:20:59 pm »
I am so jealous, you suck. ;D

@ Punisher

Do you think that you could buy another copy and send it to me? I will pay for it. :)

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 04:20:53 pm »
Hey, Pun, how's the hunting so far?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 09:25:41 pm »
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:09:33 pm »
I have had the game for a couple of weeks and spent the time up to now getting used to it. I would like to make one comment about the early war MK14 torpedoes, AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. I think that covers it pretty well, I was getting a fairly historical 50% dud/pre-detonation rate on my first war patrol. I did manage 38000 tons on that patrol though. :)
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 05:54:16 pm »
Now Ubi need to do a gameplay patch to make the game more bearable.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 06:22:09 pm »
Seems to be the case in recent times that games are rushed out before they are "ready".

There have been loads of examples recently of games being released far too early and having to have large patches to fix stuff they should have done before they released the game in the first place e.g. NWN2 (which has had several patches since release and there are likely to be more on the horizon.)

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 06:57:43 pm »
Yup I'll be watching this thread as I'm still looking (10 years or so) for a better sub sim that the original Silent Service or Gato, tho 688 is pretty good.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 08:54:32 pm »
Seems to be the case in recent times that games are rushed out before they are "ready".

There have been loads of examples recently of games being released far too early and having to have large patches to fix stuff they should have done before they released the game in the first place e.g. NWN2 (which has had several patches since release and there are likely to be more on the horizon.)

Recent times? I remember a certain couple of games released about seven years ago in a broken state that took years to fix.

Some would say they still aren't fixed.  ;)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 10:35:25 pm »
Recent times? I remember a certain couple of games released about seven years ago in a broken state that took years to fix.

That's recent to those of us who remember piloting an F-19 (not an F-117, mind) across the Persian Gulf so many times we can still identify parts of the Libyan or Iranian coastline without a second thought.

Or to those of us who cringe in horror at the idea of a Sierra-style 'windy, twisty, path'.

Etc etc.  And there are those who did this for far longer than me. ;D

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 10:49:48 pm »
Is it possible to manually set the running depth on those Mark 14's?

How is this game?  I'm trying to decide on getting SH4 or Pirates of the Burning Sea.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 01:57:56 am »
Yes, you can set the depth, speed, and the trigger (contact or contact/magnetic). Personally I use contact exclusively as I trust the magnetic exploders about as far as I can throw them which is pretty historical as the real submariners learned to hate it early on. 
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 06:45:46 am »

Some would say they still aren't fixed.  ;)

Thats my point, yes there have been a couple of notable games released over the past few years that have been released broken and still are. I think its more common now though, most major titles recently have had to release patches on the day of the games release. I've lost count the number of titles over the past year or 2 that have been released buggy and have had to have some major fixing done to them.