Topic: Elder Scrolls: Obvilion  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Elder Scrolls: Obvilion
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:10:10 am »
Okie Dokie, I've spent my first evening with this one and the graphics are nice.  Very nice.  Almost too nice.  I have a AMD 3600 64 bit processor with 2 GB of 400 DDR Ram and an AGP GEForce 6600 with 256 of DDR, and it can barely run medium graphics.  I shudder to think what it would take to run this thing full throttle.

The quest system is the same, but there are tons of minor quests.  No complaint there.

Horses are back.  YAY!

Again, you are limited to one province (the Imperial Province this time).  Daggerfall was the last one of their games to try and cover the entire world.  It was... BIG.

Combat has been simplified, and you get major rewards for certain skills (but as you level up, so do the opponents.  They will always be 1-x levels above you, so as to be challenging).  For instance, in the exit dungeon I obtained a bow.  If you sneak, and shoot someone with a bow, you get double damage.  Also (and it may be the monsters I am fighting) it seems that when you get hit with a big sword, you're going to die.  Armor stops the weapon from hitting meat, but when it does hit meat, as in real life, 1-2 good whacks with a 3' piece of sharp steel and you're done.  No more whacking a goblin 19 times with a claymore to kill it.

Character classes are far less general than before.  Your fighter may know how to open locks, or your wizard may know how to use a blade, but mostly, he's a fighter or wizard.

So far, it's a very immersive experience, and quite fun.  I've completed the opening quest and explored several ruins and caves along the path to the next quest.  My character is a Redguard (Brawny fighter type) Custom Class, which I named "Corsair".  He specializes in Heavy armor, shields, bows, blades, alchemy (to make potions) can open locks, and has misc. bonuses such as athletics, and can cast minor healing spells (restoration). 

He's pretty good at sneaking and I'll often use the bow to pick off opponents down long hallways.  If the first shot doesn't drop them, I'll switch to a blade and shield and give them what-for. 

The biggest addition, I think, and it causes a major change to the way you design character classes, is the apprentice, journeyman, and master level of skills.  When a skill (such as blade) reaches a certain level, you get a bonus thing you can do with it, such as disarm or knockdown.  That makes it much more critical to make the 7 primary skills ones that your character will use a lot.   Also, since the monsters level up with you, the old power-leveling method (you level when you increase 10 skills etc) of running everywhere and jumping around to increase your athletics and speed will backfire, since you'll be really fast and can jump, but the monsters are now leveled up with you and you really should have increased the blade skill to hit them.  But, if you increase your blade skill 9 points, you're whacking every other level 1 monster around.

If you like the genre, I think this game is probably the best produced to date.  I should also point out that if you played Morrowind, the "Loading Area" message in Oblivion doesn't pause the screen at all.  It flashes but the player never stops moving.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:32:14 pm by Dracho »
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: Elder Scrolls: Obvilion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:47:12 am »
I heard they took out spears.  Figures that I was the only person to ever use those. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:00:19 pm »
I haven't seen one yet.. actually.. I'll look  at the weapons list tonight.

Vampires are still in though.. and if you can go 3 days without feeding, you get some awesome powers.. but there is... a price.. of course..

and you can feed on NPC's while they sleep, without having to kill them.  Don't know if the werewolves are still around.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:53:08 pm »
haha I've got my money saved up....

Gonna get me a dual core with two Gforce six or go single with a Gforce 7.

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 08:39:23 am »
Run it with the single, you can always add another at a later date for SLI. I bought the game last week but havn't gotten very far, my son on the other hand has played it a lot, his level is in the upper twenties. I've got 2 7800GT running the game on a Gateway 20" widescreen @1680X1050, and it is the best looking game I've seen. 

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 08:19:58 am »
Running Oblivion with older video cards...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=296049&st=0

It might help some others with the older Video cards.

Stephen

PS. Damn Ninroot.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 02:20:51 pm »
Is this what you're talking about, Steven?  Found this by accident this morning while I was debating on how high I should upgrade my video card this week without blowing a serious hole in my pocket before buying Oblivion.  Too bad I didn't find out about this before today; I could've had the perfect excuse to slip out of boring conversations.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:25:25 pm »
Bumping an old topic :)

Just got the game myself after getting a new gfx card that could run the game. I wanted the game as soon as it came out, but my old card had no chance of being able to run it.

So far I am having a blast, been playing a stealthy type char, focusing on Marksmanship for my main damage dealer and using a few illusion spells combined with alchemy to help me sneak about.

Noticed there are literally hundreds of mods out there that can add more to the game, looking forward to trying some of them out, in particular some of the vampire mods that bring some new dimensions and completely revamp the vampire route in game. Some really small mods out there and some huge, one of the landscape/creature mods is 450mb plus in size!  :o

Anyone else still playing this game?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 06:41:35 pm »
I spend an hour or so, right before I go to bed on this.

Started a new game with the knights of the Nine, and man, It's hard with Infamy, Fame when it comes to that quest and the Assasin group.

You guys gonna try out that new expansion pack? something Isle, with the mad god?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:02:44 am »
Definitely going to get the Shivering Isles :)

There is a preview over at gamespot, http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elderscrollsivshiveringisles/news.html?sid=6165504&mode=previews

Looks like the expansion adds a lot more content than the Knights of the Nine and the official mod plugins:

"The previous patches introduced incremental new dungeons and quests, and Knights of the Nine was the largest, with an entire new faction to quest through. But all those minor updates took place in the game's existing lands. By contrast, Shivering Isles will introduce an entire new plane of Oblivion that's said to be roughly a quarter of the size of the original game, and it will be full of new settlements, characters, and quests and will include a lengthy new storyline and 10 new achievements to boot."

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 01:26:25 pm »
All they need to do is open up some of those huge landmasses that in there right now and put up some plots, factions and stuff and I would be happy.