Topic: DirectX 10 and Windows XP.  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
DirectX 10 and Windows XP.
« on: December 25, 2006, 09:12:34 pm »
As many of you know Microsoft is releasing DirectX 10 for Windows Vista only and working to persuade game makers to support it only as a means to pressure gamers to "upgrade" to Windows Vista whether we need or want to or not.  (Yes that is my personal take on things and some may disagree).  There is a hope for DirectX 10 compatibility on XP.

Link to site
Direct3D10, which will ship with Windows Vista in a few months, doesn't seem to be a large cause for concern. At first glance it appears to be more of an evolutionary change rather than revolutionary. New shader support will be needed, but extending ours once OpenGL supports it should be pretty easy. Stefan mentioned Microsoft is currently offering a lot of incentives for Windows developers who develop D3D10-only games since they'll only be usable on Vista - there's no plan to backport D3D10 to XP. Dan Kegel asked if that means we should port Wine's forthcoming D3D10 implementation to Windows, which would be relatively easy when we switch to WGL.

Wine is a "compatibility" system allowing the use of (some) Windows programs on Linux.  Here is a developer talking of taking what they learn to allow DX10 compatiblity in Wine and port it back to XP to allow some who don't "upgrade" to Vista to use some newer games. 

Will it happen?  I can't say.  If it looks like it will happen Microsoft is sure to react.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: DirectX 10 and Windows XP.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:45:08 pm »
As many of you know Microsoft is releasing DirectX 10 for Windows Vista only and working to persuade game makers to support it only as a means to pressure gamers to "upgrade" to Windows Vista whether we need or want to or not.  (Yes that is my personal take on things and some may disagree).  There is a hope for DirectX 10 compatibility on XP.

Link to site
Direct3D10, which will ship with Windows Vista in a few months, doesn't seem to be a large cause for concern. At first glance it appears to be more of an evolutionary change rather than revolutionary. New shader support will be needed, but extending ours once OpenGL supports it should be pretty easy. Stefan mentioned Microsoft is currently offering a lot of incentives for Windows developers who develop D3D10-only games since they'll only be usable on Vista - there's no plan to backport D3D10 to XP. Dan Kegel asked if that means we should port Wine's forthcoming D3D10 implementation to Windows, which would be relatively easy when we switch to WGL.

Wine is a "compatibility" system allowing the use of (some) Windows programs on Linux.  Here is a developer talking of taking what they learn to allow DX10 compatiblity in Wine and port it back to XP to allow some who don't "upgrade" to Vista to use some newer games. 

Will it happen?  I can't say.  If it looks like it will happen Microsoft is sure to react.

Without question negatively.  The WGA software will see that mod and shut off your updates.  I'll bet money on it.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:32:17 am »
Without question negatively.  The WGA software will see that mod and shut off your updates.  I'll bet money on it.

By what right would they have to stop you running a 3rd parties software?  If they did then what would prevent them from doing the same if you use other competing software like Firefox, Perfect Office or Adobe Photoshop?  If they did it I foresee a flurry of lawsuits that would make the old DOJ vs  Miicrosft look like a walk in the park.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 09:42:51 am »
Well you can live witout Windows update,... especialy after the OS is declared officially dead,... so who cares?
Vista is NO option ,its sad but a fact.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:20:12 am »
Well you can live witout Windows update,... especialy after the OS is declared officially dead,... so who cares?
Vista is NO option ,its sad but a fact.

Vista is not an option.  I refuse to let Microsoft own MY computer.  XP with its activation pushed things too far for some such as myself.  Vista is pushing even more away.  The tighter Microsoft grips their power the more people will try to evade it and it can be evaded.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:21:15 pm »

Link to site

I agree Nem, screw Bill Gates. I have no intention of buying Vista if I can help it.