Topic: Flight Sims  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Flight Sims
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:52:09 pm »
Just reinstalled MiG Alley last night and have been reminded that sim flying is a skill you need to keep practiced at, less you lurch about the sky uselessly before crashing into the ground (not always because you were shot down). 

I'm having fun, though, and am gradually feeling some of the old skill return.  The first YAK-9 I gunned down early this morning felt pretty good.

Who else loves flight sims?  What are your favorites/suggestions?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
Re: Flight Sims
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:03:25 pm »
You ever play any of the Il-2 series?

I particularly enjoy Pacific Fighters.  Fun game.  I love the genre too.  Watching "dogfights" on history channel, I finally found out why my wildcat kept getting gunned down by Zero's after the Zero would enter a climb, and I'd stall out trying to catch him.  LOL.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:28:53 pm »
Briefly, and at the time my comp really couldn't handle them.  Been pondering getting Pacific Fighters, but I've also been eyeing Strike Fighters and Wings over Vietnam....Strike Fighters mostly for some of the mods that are out there, I saw one for the Suez Crisis in '56 with a sweet-looking Dassault Ouragon.

I always liked by tubby little Wildcats on MCFS 2 and AoTP.  If the Zeros were behind you, and you tried to climb, they'd usually overshoot!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:54:25 pm by Commander La'ra »
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:40:24 pm »
I'm more of a Space Sim guy overall.

Favorite was Star Wars Xwing alliance.

Wing Commander series was more of a meh...okay but not my favorites, but Star Lancer was a fun one.

Free Space was okay, Independance war...not so much, though very pretty at the time.

X2 and X3...those are VERY SORRY excuses for space sims.

The Falcon series was okay (yes, it's a flight sim not a space sim, as is the next one) and I agree, the IL-2 series was good as well.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:53:05 am »
A few years ago, Ferrit and Alien bought me a copy of Crimson Skies, and I still play it about once a week. Great game, and IIRC Ravok used to have it on the xbox.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:15:39 pm »
IL-2/Pacific Fighters/IL2 1946.  Best combat flight sim bar none.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:43:03 pm »
Ubisoft wants your opinion:

Reply-To :  "Ubisoft" <ubisoft@news.ubisoft.com>
Sent :  Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:03 PM
To :  Jack Morris <jack_mortonmorris@hotmail.com>
Subject :  Ubisoft Flight Simulation Survey

|  |  | Inbox

Hello,

We here at Ubisoft value your opinion as a Flight Simulation Enthusiast. To help us improve our games, would you mind taking 5 minutes of your day to complete a survey? We greatly value your feedback. No personal information will be collected, and for participating you will receive a 10% discount at Ubisoft.com!

To complete the survey go to: http://websurveyor.net/wsb.dll/34079/SOW_survey.htm   

Remember that all the information you provide us is kept strictly confidential.

Thanks!
- Ubisoft

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 07:13:21 pm »
I want them to release the european war flight sim that pits Germany against Great Britain on a multi-player arena!  ;D

On a side note, SH4 is due out soon, but I was disappointed that they did not release a Destroyer Command partner pack with multi-player options for SH3.

That game has to be in the top 10 of all games released, IMHO. Great graphics and easy to play.

Offline CaptStumpy

• Commodore
    • Religion and Politics
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:35:35 pm »
I'd like to see Ubi do a WWI flight sim.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place. - Jonathan Swift

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 07:55:40 pm »
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/blazingangels/downloads/

There's a flight demo for the PC on that page.

And while we're at it, try getting your callsign

http://blazing-angels.com/us/name_generator/

Mine was

Dash "Mother" Jones
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 07:57:54 pm »
Microprose had one back in the day, it rocked! Awesome graphics and sounds considering it was released in late 91.

You do realize we would have no parachutes and thus could not get back into a campaign in WW1 if we were shot up?  ;D

EAW and OP would have rocked with that type of situation, but then again there are SOME people that would crash to desktop suddenly and say "Oooops, it wasn't MY fault!" Even though their ship was blown to Hades.  >:(

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 07:59:25 pm »
Blazing Angels, another Wing commander follow the storyline game, IMHO.

Heroes of the Pacific is the same. Great graphics and sounds, but I HATE storyline scenarios.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 10:49:01 pm »
I don't mind the 'storyline' flight sims so much, though they're usually limited in the 'mission planning' arena.  Had a lot of fun with Strike Commander, but there were a lot of times I wish I could've gone about the missions in a different manner or avoided certain fights altogether.

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 02:06:20 pm »
Wing Commander ruled in that the storyline was not set in concrete, you could fail a few missions and still pull out of the slump.

In Heroes of the Pacific you do NOT have the option of failing a scenario, you fail then you refly, period.

I also love how Rick Daredevil Ranger flies a P-40 for the Army Air Corps and then next thing you know you are in a Navy plane at Wake Island, hahahahahahaha... Talk about one highly trined super duper pilot, he even does short tours with the other branches of the military!  ;D

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 03:34:26 pm »
I'd like to see Ubi do a WWI flight sim.

There is supposed a WWI flight sim being produced in the same engine as IL2.  You can learn more about it here:

http://www.gennadich.com/

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 03:37:31 pm »
I want them to release the european war flight sim that pits Germany against Great Britain on a multi-player arena!  ;D

On a side note, SH4 is due out soon, but I was disappointed that they did not release a Destroyer Command partner pack with multi-player options for SH3.

That game has to be in the top 10 of all games released, IMHO. Great graphics and easy to play.
Ah, you know, there are any number of sims that do that.  IL2 series, for instance, and the upcoming Storm of War:Battle of Britain.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 06:17:42 pm »
Do any of these ring any bells?

Red Baron
Aces of the Pacific
Aces of Europe

All made by Dynamics. Still have all three on CD. All though AoE, is a huge resource hog. :)

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 06:54:50 pm »
I've always been a flight sim junkie, and these top 2 are still my favorites:

#1. Not to be confused with the re-release F4: allied forces (crapola !!!) is the best of the best, Falcon 4.0 (with super pack 3). It doesn't get better than this unless you actually attend OCS.

and another oldie but goodie but lacking in 'on ground activities' (also not to be confused with the re-release F/A 18 Operation Iraqi freedom (again simplified for the masses),
#2 Hornet:Korea- smooth as glass graphics, ultra realistic flight model and avionics but no real mission planning (the biggest disappointment of the game),

and my first league flight sim:
#3 Janes ATF (advanced tactical fighter) Not as much a sim as a game this one gives you bunches of different A/C to learn and really stable online co-op missions to fly with your friends.

Still I've bunches more that deserve honorable mentions:

A: Strike Commander- From the creators of wing commander your a mercenary commanding a squadron of pilots YOU hire as well as equiptment YOU have to buy (with earnings from missions YOU choose from rogue governments, privateers, and evil dictators. LOADS of fun and a pretty good sim (in 640X480 DOS).

B: Red Baron 3D- another ultra smooth online experience, kill your friends with a generous selection of the greatest A/C of WW1.
C: Janes IAF (Isreali Air Force) A very nice sim with some of the most memorable missions I've ever flown in any sim.
D: Janes F-15 A must have if your into flying the eagle (a nice touch is the ability to have an online friend fly with you in the back seat ( your R.I.O.).

I've about a dozen more but I'm sure you don't want to hear me call them crap.

:)
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:27 pm »
D: Janes F-15 A must have if your into flying the eagle (a nice touch is the ability to have an online friend fly with you in the back seat ( your R.I.O.).

I have this, but without a manual, and thus I've yet to take to time to learn how to play it.  They should never, ever, ever release a flight sim in a jewel pack.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 09:06:11 am »

I have this, but without a manual, and thus I've yet to take to time to learn how to play it.  They should never, ever, ever release a flight sim in a jewel pack.

I'll look thru my drives and find my copy of the manual in PDF and mail it to you.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 03:31:52 pm »
Do any of these ring any bells?

Red Baron
Aces of the Pacific
Aces of Europe

All made by Dynamics. Still have all three on CD. All though AoE, is a huge resource hog. :)

RB and AoP rocked the house! I loved the first mission on AoP when you played the Japanese naval campaign, a nice leisurely torpedo run on those slow and old BBs at Pearl.  ;D Too bad they did not have a "follow weapon" command like SH3 has for watching the torpedo cruise into it's target.  ;D

Offline Zenister

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • The only way to Fly
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 06:58:01 am »
i'm a Warbirds regular again since the Flyboys movie... the WWI arena is pretty empty though (and nooby pilots are no challenge) so i'm in the regular arenas more often.

callsign VonZen (from RB3d beta if any of you were there)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 09:30:42 am »
I love finding mods for my flight sims.  For CFS2, I've installed other interesting campaigns like Korea and Europe.  I also like the unique match ups that you can get.  There is nothing like flying the Red Baron's tri-plane against Osama bin Laden's flying carpet.  I recently got flight simulator x for christmas.  I can't say I'm impressed by it.  The graphics are amazing, but there's no weapons!  I need to cause some destruction!! :BoeseSmilies (71):