Topic: OT: Review : Star Trek: Legacy  (Read 9676 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: OT: Review : Star Trek: Legacy
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 02:27:40 am »
probably because winged defender is cool while some ships like the D10 I wouldn't dl if they were made by CG. I just finaly got my computer to accept BC (my new one) so I'll have legacy as soon as someone around here carries it. Till then a few rounds of silent hunter 3 will be in order now that I can finaly play it.

Offline kinghippo

• Im the King
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • The King
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 11:36:49 am »
Looks at the rollercoaster.... pauses ...... Jumps on!!!!! WOOOOT

Still gonna buy this game.... gotta give it a blast  ;)

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 09:10:22 pm »
Looks at the rollercoaster.... pauses ...... Jumps on!!!!! WOOOOT

Still gonna buy this game.... gotta give it a blast  ;)

I'm not sure if that kills the thread or pushes it onwards to greatness ;D

My dilemma comes more from, Do i buy this, or take the time to get the new Zelda on the Gamecube..... Zelda has had good reviews, while this hasn't.

i could just keep my startrek gaming limited to BC, or KA, but i'm tired of them a little... and the Galtrek mod for Glactic civs has a memory leak problem in the latest release, which hopefully will be fully fixed soon.

Choices....... ;D
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline kinghippo

• Im the King
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • The King
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 12:29:03 am »
I have Gal Civ too.. Never got into it though, Just bought Zelda for my WII, not played it yet. Might have a bash sometime today. (Massive Metroid Fan Here People)

But I saw my brother playing Legacy on the 360, Flying around in his Sov kicking a Dederidex Warbird all over the place, It looked sweet. Even more so on his HD massive plasma tv thingy.
This game may have flaws, some people hate it and some love it. But I know loads of people here will say Enterprise (Akiraprise) was a crap series, I for one thought it was one of the best. So I think it all goes to accounting for taste.

Its Fresh.. It looks great.. Looks Fun, and hopefully sometime in the future you will mod the hell out of it and we can all get on MTV for a "Pimp My Legacy" special.

Nice to see trek games being released, good or bad its going in my collection.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 01:22:57 am »
I'm not sure if it's just a petition to bring the show back or if it's a petition to convince fan show makers to do what they are doing for TOS but there's a neat NX video on youtube about season 5. Whoever rendered it has near studio quality ship capabilities, as there were no mass fleets of vulcan and earth vessels in the series. As for it being a crap series...well, it had a crap season with the temporal crap but that's about part for soem other sci-fi like B5. That had a crap season too. But overall it wasn't bad.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 03:34:18 am »
I think i'll wait for a bit before I invest... Besides i've just figured out how to add specular lighting to the ships in Galciv, something nobody else seems to be doing over there yet.

All I got to do is figure out how to allow race specific colours and see if I can do my own bump mapping, and i'm well away ;D

I actually liked Enterprise, I'd read the bad reviews by American viewers, but the show didn't come on in the Uk for like 6 months after the US, and it never really seemed as bad as they said. i loved the episode Minefield where we see the Romulans for the 'first' time.

Maybe it's the same thing with legacy..... Once ship imports go in, which may be soon if talk of maddoc releasing the Armada tools happens... then perhaps i'll get it then.
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 12:22:47 pm »
I'm not getting Legacy... Yet. *shrug* I'm going to be more concerned with real life at the moment and building up a budget for a computer upgrade before considering Legacy.  It's a game I at least want to try out, but since my specs quickly turned into something from the Medieval times in three years (and my laptop turning into something from the stoneage), I'm going to have to wait.

But since I got a DS, this doesn't mean I can wait longer for Tactical Assault. :)

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 01:18:44 pm »
i would get legacy. thats if your pc can handle it. it is worth the price its released about £25-£30 here unlike SFC3 which cost me nearly £40. If you dont like the idea of legacy on PC, there is the Xbox version, Encounters for PS2, they have deffinatly cornered the market by releasing so many titles all at once

Play.com was selling it for £17 I believe, if they still are i'll purchase there. I've got to get it on PC... I hate not being able to put in or make my own ( basic ) mods. I think i'll intall Armada and practice on the odf files there before I get legacy. ;D

The more money I save on that, the more I have for some new tattoo work anyway ;D

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 06:50:32 am »
well I have a P4 3.2ghz radeon x1600xt and 1 gb of ram and now that I installed the game as soon as the maddoc intro movie is done and the game starts to load it instantly goes to desktop with access violations and every attempt I've made has failed to get the game to run.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 02:15:27 pm »
I'm not getting Legacy... Yet. *shrug* I'm going to be more concerned with real life at the moment and building up a budget for a computer upgrade before considering Legacy.  It's a game I at least want to try out, but since my specs quickly turned into something from the Medieval times in three years (and my laptop turning into something from the stoneage), I'm going to have to wait.

But since I got a DS, this doesn't mean I can wait longer for Tactical Assault. :)

Even more OT:

Are you going to build or buy preassembled?  (We could continue this in another or a new thread... )

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Reverend

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 03:59:52 pm »
Some of the new ship designs really look orginal but....
Man, either someone from here did those models, or they stole them.
Each and every single one already exist at Batleclinic, and I already have, and have been made by one of our wonderful modders/modelers.... each and every one.
The game is utterly stupid, won't work on half PCs. Bethesda... tsk tsk tsk.
THey should have came to us, or even me, for a game that would not only sell but retain users.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2007, 10:02:50 pm »
Some of the new ship designs really look orginal but....
Man, either someone from here did those models, or they stole them.
Each and every single one already exist at Batleclinic, and I already have, and have been made by one of our wonderful modders/modelers.... each and every one.
The game is utterly stupid, won't work on half PCs. Bethesda... tsk tsk tsk.
THey should have came to us, or even me, for a game that would not only sell but retain users.

Rick Knox aka p81 did the ships for Legacy

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 05:09:54 pm »
Legacy is HEAVILY based on Armada 2 in more than one way, so it is very very moddable! By far more moddable (is this even a word?) than SFC! (but nowhere near as headache inducing as BC)

Yes the missions were pants, the cloaking button was put on the 'repair' panel and there are numerous other niggles that I have with the game that are classically symptomatic of a game pushed through before it was ready - BUT - when you start digging through the files you see that actually they had planned to have quite different missions, evidently sets for Romulans and Klingons.
I'm afraid guys that there is only one conclusion - the developers had a change in direction and didn't have time to polish (ahem *finish*) the game off properly.

The game as it stands now, sucks, be it as it may - HOWEVER, it's ripe for modding and oh what fun can be had with such a flexible system! I've already ported over CG's Sovereign to my personal game and very easily I have animated bussards and the works - using the same knowledge that I had from 5 years ago modding Armada!
All of the cool stuff from Armada 2 is still in there, we just need to get it working. I don't think that this is Legacy, I think it's Armada 3, with a souped up engine.

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 09:29:49 am »
Sorry to practice necromany on this here thread but I just installed legacy yesterday and been practically playing it since; - I havent really encountered any problem with the game and I dont get what why do people moan so much about it being sh*te, I cant call the game bad by any stretch :/
The engine for one is _awesome_, it can run impressive amounts of effects / ships on screen without slowing down at all :>

However im not denying that games improve with mods, so other than for the patch, what do you guys who play legacy reckon that I should dl to improve my experience :>
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 10:33:23 am »
i like legacy but the stock game doesnt require any skill only advanced knowledge of where enemy units and mission requirements are (same with encounters) graphicaly the game is stunning and with the mods it is way better, shame the legacy modders havent had the common sence of porting as many SFC and BC models as possible, they are been way too selective
Whatnow? Well I quess it doesnt need skill as such but I sure had a hell of a time retrying the massive romulan attack mission in the beginning a few times before finally surviving it :D
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2007, 06:36:46 am »
the controls are dificult and I find the cost to points earned is too high, making it impossible to replace lost ships. I tried modding ship cost but no luck, and I doublt I'll be able to continue the game, I simply can't put enough firepower outthere and will continue to get walked on, as these missions are far too difficult. (be my shepard, can't pass it, can only afford one yorktown plus the nx01). Unless there's a mod that fixes ship cost to way low to make things easier I'll never complete the campaign, just too hard.

Offline Smiley

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2007, 06:56:09 pm »
I ended up cheating about 3/4 of the way through the compaign - I was getting annoyed not being able to the proceed to the next level. TBH I felt that the campaign was boring.

Signature: Terran Empire Relentless: WZ, All Other Models: Smiley

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2007, 09:40:20 pm »
I ended up cheating about 3/4 of the way through the compaign - I was getting annoyed not being able to the proceed to the next level. TBH I felt that the campaign was boring.

Interesting

So the game by itself is not so great, but once the communities get going on it it will have lots of potiential. Seems to follow the same pattern as the last few Trek games, not finished when released, patches and modders will make it fun to play.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.