Topic: Type 1 diabetes cure?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Type 1 diabetes cure?
« on: December 16, 2006, 05:40:17 pm »
Link to full article

Michael Dosch at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, and colleagues, had previously shown that not only islet cells, but the nerve tissue around them was affected as diabetes set in.

The researchers used a chemical to obliterate these nerves in a breed of mice genetically predestined to develop diabetes. “It turns out if you remove these specific sensory nerves, the animals don’t get diabetes,” says Dosch. “It was stunning.”

The team wanted to know what would happen if they gave diabetic mice a top-up of substance P, so they injected some directly into the pancreas. Astonishingly, the diabetes disappeared overnight and the mice remained diabetes-free for weeks, and even months in some cases.

If the same were to happen in humans, a single injection could keep the disease at bay for years, says Dosch.

About 85% of human diabetics are believed to have impaired sensory nerve function, but it has always been assumed to be a consequence of the disease, rather than a cause, says Dosch.

"This work merits serious consideration,” says Matt Hunt, Science Information Manager at Diabetes UK. However, since the study was carried out on specific neurons in mice, “future work in human populations with high rates of type 1 diabetes, such as Scandinavia, would seem a possible area to pursue," he adds.

From January 2007, Dosch plans to look for evidence of sensory abnormalities in babies born to high-risk families, and will follow them to see if impairment is predictive of disease.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Type 1 diabetes cure?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:42:41 pm »
Now this is very interesting indeed.  Personally, I would start doing tests like these on people right away, but on a very small scale, but only to volunteers that have been informed and prepared.

I never was fond of how promising discoveries come around one day, and are almost never heard from again because further experimentation isn't done for nearly a decade.  I understand that those doing the research want to make sure things are done right, but sometimes, I think it would be better just to take a chance and try. 

But I like this article very much.  If you come across anymore information on this subject, please let me know.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 03:27:45 am »
But I like this article very much.  If you come across anymore information on this subject, please let me know.

Link to article in Cell magazine.  Much more detailed and I believe the source from which the first article I linked to got its information. 

My father is (mildly) diabetic so I tend to notice articles on the subject.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:09:17 pm »
+1.  All I can say.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.