Topic: Front windshield question.  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Front windshield question.
« on: December 13, 2006, 05:49:31 pm »
I had loaned an old car to my niece for a couple of years, and I got it back this last sunday. She lives out in the country, so Of course, there's abit of wear on the car, But I'm concerned about the windshield.

The cracks are a given, to me anyways, to just replace the whole thing, but How difficult is it to do so?

It's a 1990 Chrysler New Yorker. I'm not in any hurry, as I'll probably just have the wife drive it,  But for safety concerns and what all.

If worse comes to worse, I'll have safelight (I think that's the name) do it, But for the learning experience, and me being the cheapest man on earth, I thought I would look at my options first.

Thanks ahead of time guys and gals.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Front windshield question.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:16:49 pm »
I used to replace auto-glass with a friend a long time ago.  If I had that problem now I'd probably pay to have it done.  Needless to say it is a total pain-in-the-@$$.  Taking the old window out is tough because the stuff used to glue the glass to the car usually hardens into cement.  Luckily at least you don't have to worry about breaking the old window because it is (usually) already broken.  After we would take the frame off the window, we would use a heavy knife to cut through the glue.  Then after we got a good hole in the glue we would use a six inch piece of Piano wire attached to two pieces of wood to saw through the rest of the glue.

After we got the window separated from the car, we would have to sand all the rest of the rock hard glue off the car.  After all that we would put new glue down and carefully center and place the new glass on the car.  If the window is off center just a little bit you can shatter the glass when you try to put the window frame back on.  Once the frame is back on and everything is back to normal you have to make sure that you don't wash your car for 24~48 hours.  The soap and/or high pressure sprayer can destroy the glue causing the window to leak when it rains.

[Sarcastic humor]

Sounds like fun don't it!!?!   ;D

[/Sarcastic humor]

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:21:06 pm »
That's exactly what I needed to know. The quote I got for the replacement was around $220.00 , Is that a fair price?

Again, thanks Javora.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:31:43 pm »
Is that installed?  If it is I would probably jump on it then, but call around to make sure.  It's been so long since I've priced something like that I wouldn't be the one to ask on prices.  But IMHO $220 installed would be a heck of a lot better than going through the pain and aggravation of doing it yourself.  Plus if you make a mistake and the glass breaks then you will certainly pay more then $220 to replace the window.  If the company screws up and breaks the glass then they have to eat the cost.  That's a win-win situation if you ask me.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:36:30 pm »
Yep installed. IT may even be cheaper, if the company doesn't have to replace the Chrome around the window seal.

For an extra 20, they will replace the Wiper blades, now that's abit high, but I'm a lazy SOB also.

I think I'll just go with them doing it, as the appointment is Jan 3rd.

Heh, and my frustration level get's pretty high working with cars anyway. :D :D :D

Stephen

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 06:54:51 pm »
Yep installed. IT may even be cheaper, if the company doesn't have to replace the Chrome around the window seal.

Stephen

Yeah I think I'd jump on that, heck I forgot about the chrome frame but then Mine is plastic.

You know, if you really wanted to do and bought the tools you could probably do the replacement for about $40~$60. But you would have to go junk-yard trolling and find the glass.  Then drive over and pull the glass out of the junk car all the while taking care not to break the glass during the removal or the drive back home.  Then remove and install the glass on your car.  Again $220 versus the time and pure aggravation of doing it yourself... well I guess I would have to ask just how much your time is worth to you.  Hope all this helps.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:16:38 pm »
Aack, that's way to much work. Now I've gotten to where, I can change oil, and I even did a head Gasket change on my John Deer, Hell I even changed the tire on that old monster, But I think the windshield would be money saved, having a pro do it.

Like I said, I'm probably the only Okie that hates working on cars. I detest getting grease under my nails, And while It's funny, I've been neck deep in Cow dung, but Getting car dirt on me just makes me cringe.

Yeah, I'm a wussy on that kind of thing.

Stephen

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:55:19 pm »
Windshields... imagine going down the Turner Turnpike at 80, all the pressure on it, and thinking, Hmm.. I put that windshield in..Wonder if I should have used a pro...
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:51:20 pm »
Windshields... imagine going down the Turner Turnpike at 80, all the pressure on it, and thinking, Hmm.. I put that windshield in..Wonder if I should have used a pro...

Since it's the front windshield I doubt there would be a problem since the pressure would help hold it in place.  The adhesive used is there to keep the water out, it's the frame that hold the glass down (in most cars anyway).  So unless you just sat the flame on top of the glass and didn't use any screws to hold it down (seen that before to) there wouldn't be a problem.  What I laugh at is people who have their front/back windshield replaced then go right down to the drive through car wash and wonder why there is water dripping in.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 04:10:30 pm »
Hey Dracho, Javora, I'm convinced, I'll take the car to a pro, no need to scare me more... :D

Stephen

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 05:37:36 pm »
Hey Dracho, Javora, I'm convinced, I'll take the car to a pro, no need to scare me more... :D

Stephen

What??!?  You don't want to hear the time I saw a windshield come off a car as it was going 45 MPH and fly about 20 feet into the air??!?  The car behind it had to slam on the brakes to avoid impact.  And no I did not have anything to do with that install either, that was the owner of the car...   ;D

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 07:53:23 pm »
Stephen, if any auto glass guy in New York quoted me $220, I'd jump at it, "Where do I sign?!"  Here, lots of auto glass guys are Maf, uh, not so trustworthy, pricewise.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 09:06:02 am »
LOL, It's funny you say that, My wifes Uncle Bernie who lives in Florida now, well he said the same thing on the phone the other night. What's funny, Is He is retired Mafioso. I got along with him great, simply, because, when we first met, I asked him how hard he tried to be so full of sh*t.

From that day on, we got along great. This is the same guy, who when asked what to get our grandson, and we responded with Diapers, He litarly sent out a crate of diapers. I mean a whole pallet of Hampers. The guy cracks me up.

Stephen

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 06:24:11 pm »
I hope he also didn't crack windshields and side windows up!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 06:41:40 pm »
well if questioned, We just say, there's no Mafia.

Stephen

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »
At least you'd be telling the truth- they don't let in guys who wear grass skirts.