Topic: Star Trek: Legacy for the PC now available  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Star Trek: Legacy for the PC now available
« on: December 07, 2006, 04:09:56 pm »
Had a chance to play a brief skirmish mission.

* Highs: graphics and audio are great, gamplay's very intuitive right off the bat.

* Lows: poor multiplayer options, camera controls very cumbersome, steering's taking a bit to get used to.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Star Trek: Legacy for the PC now available
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 10:44:11 am »
My big question, as I've heard stories saying yes, and stories saying no. Does it use starforce?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 11:06:00 am »
Nope.  There isn't even a CD key.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:13 pm »
Well then count me in again.  Thanks RB.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 07:30:39 pm »
What is starforce?

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 08:01:36 pm »
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

That would be a good intro to StarForce.

I bought the game yesterday but have had problems with my multi format cd drives. I have not zeroed the problem to star force yet but am still working on it. Anyways I hooked up another dvd drive and got the game installed. And my one thought is this: I'M TURNING CIRCLES :/ .  Again though after installing another drive to load the game I only had about 10 minutes to play which is hardly enough time. I should have some more time on Sunday afternoon.

Offline F9th0mega

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Constitution Class - The one, the Only, the BEST
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 01:09:22 am »
for anyone interested (that better be all of you :P )

i made it 8 player :D

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sorry_360_PC_gets_8_player_MP_in_48_Hours
Alternate universe:  Khan was banished for preserving the peace. The Genesis device was really a super weapon and kirk had planned to use it on the klingons. Chekov found the Botany Bay and khan hijakced and killed the evil reliant crew in an effort to destroy the genesis device.    Ahh i love it :D The alternate universe rocks.

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:47:42 pm »
I still have to get this one.  Maybe after X-Mas but, I will definitely be asking you how you did this.
  I keep hearing the 360 players bitching on how they feel robbed.  Glad I went with my gaming lappy over a vid game console.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 11:52:33 pm »
I need to upgrade my computer (my graphics card at least, at most just about everything) before I ever get this game, assuming I do.  And after looking at YouTube videos online, I just might hope for a computer upgrade and a copy for Christmas.

I'm going to link to some YouTube videos here, not all the ones I found that were recently made, but some here and there.  Here they are:

"Fools!  You are clearly outmatched!"

Multiplayer skirmish 1
(A one-on-one)
How often do you see Sisko go up against the Borg post-Wolf 359?

Multiplayer skirmish 2
(Multiple ships; quite a crowd!)
Three TMP ships, an Akira, and not a pizza place

The classy Big E and her friend go duck hunting

How well does The Next Generation do?

Klinks vs. Roms

There's plenty more if you search around youtube using keywords like "Trek, Legacy" (and maybe an "MP" to go with it) and sort by "Date Added".

From that, it looks pretty similar to more of the contemporary Trek battles you see; close-up, right-side up, rarely any collisions, and firing away.  Not as realistic in movement as some of the earlier Trek games were (Klingon Academy and its prequel, Starfleet Academy), so no going up-side down, but it looks fun to play.  I wonder how moddable it is... That reminds me of a post:

As for the registry, I'm wondering if there could be some kind of instant registry thing at work here, such as entering your ship's name and number in a screen and a quick-and-dirty texture is applied to the ingame model.  But, the evidence against that is even though the 1701-E was labeled as such, the on-screen display identified it as the U.S.S. Syracuse.

So, is it true or just a pipe dream?

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 10:13:23 am »
for anyone interested (that better be all of you :P )

i made it 8 player :D

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sorry_360_PC_gets_8_player_MP_in_48_Hours

Well +1 to you and by the time I can afford a suitable rig, I hope you'll have made this what it should have been. Keep up the great work!
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:45:12 am »
As for the registry, I'm wondering if there could be some kind of instant registry thing at work here, such as entering your ship's name and number in a screen and a quick-and-dirty texture is applied to the ingame model.  But, the evidence against that is even though the 1701-E was labeled as such, the on-screen display identified it as the U.S.S. Syracuse.

So, is it true or just a pipe dream?

Pipe dream for the moment, but at the rate the mini-mods and improvements are being released, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did.

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 06:20:14 pm »
From everything i'm reading, it's not looking good for this game.
I was looking forward to this, but the sheer volume of complaints about it is astounding. I've never seen such anger.... I don't think it's just a case of 'fan-boys' being angry either.

It seems like most of the reviews by respected magazines and web sites are even trashing the game. I was going to buy this, but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk to be honest. It's not out in the UK until the 22nd. Some have suggested that many of the problems will be fized for the UK/Europe release and patched in the American one.... but Bethseda have been silent in face of massive critisicm so far.

However, so many people are talking of how easy this game seems to be to mod, and one of the main reasons I buy a game is it's modding potential..... I just don't know... and the lack of a Demo for this game seems to imply a great deal about it too.
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 06:40:49 pm »
Bridge Commander wasn't popular to begin with either, right?  And yet this hard-to-mod game in a few years became moddable and popular within its community.  Starfleet Academy (from almost ten years ago) had a lot of complaints, right?  And it was near impossible to mod, yet it was popular enough to spawn a sequel.

I think it's just hard to find the perfect Star Trek game, much like with the Star Wars community and its games, right?  Unpopular FPS series, Jedi Knight, is still played around to this day.  I'm not sure about it's non-Jedi-related prequel, Dark Forces, but aren't people playing that FPS series?

I think it's unpopular because it's a game based on a sci-fi show.  I believe that's it, in the end.  I could be wrong, but it seems like games that don't derive from popular shows ala Trek, Wars, or even other genres like CSI... Games that don't derive from that, they become popular, somehow.  From World of Warcraft to Half Life 2...

I can believe it to be unpopular because of controls or bugs or how easy the game is or something... But then, what game is without its bugs or glitches?  And can't people learn how to use controls well?  Or is my lack of knowledge on Legacy hitting me on the controls area?  I remember the Descent series (an FPS-based series where you fly a ship/fighter that can go in any direction at almost the same speed [except if you use afterburners] blasting robots to pieces in mines or in other places...) was easy to handle... Was it not the case with most people?

In the end, as I wander around wondering why people dislike Legacy, I guess thus far is that people dislike it because they might want to find a reason to dislike it, so they sell it and play Halo 2 or some other game again, and the safe bets these days are RPGs and FPSs.l  Again, I'm open to the possibility that maybe people do find legitimate grievances that people here or there have, but maybe for some, if not most, is that they might just want to stick to safe bets in gaming.  What's better than taking your time to see what special move or potion to use?  What's better than locking, loading, and fragging?

*sigh* (Aside from SFC, of course.  Otherwise, why are we all here?  Other than friends and familiar faces and such, of course...)

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline dragoon

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 06:51:49 pm »
Bridge Commander wasn't popular to begin with either, right?  And yet this hard-to-mod game in a few years became moddable and popular within its community.  Starfleet Academy (from almost ten years ago) had a lot of complaints, right?  And it was near impossible to mod, yet it was popular enough to spawn a sequel.

I think it's just hard to find the perfect Star Trek game, much like with the Star Wars community and its games, right?  Unpopular FPS series, Jedi Knight, is still played around to this day.  I'm not sure about it's non-Jedi-related prequel, Dark Forces, but aren't people playing that FPS series?

I think it's unpopular because it's a game based on a sci-fi show.  I believe that's it, in the end.  I could be wrong, but it seems like games that don't derive from popular shows ala Trek, Wars, or even other genres like CSI... Games that don't derive from that, they become popular, somehow.  From World of Warcraft to Half Life 2...

I can believe it to be unpopular because of controls or bugs or how easy the game is or something... But then, what game is without its bugs or glitches?  And can't people learn how to use controls well?  Or is my lack of knowledge on Legacy hitting me on the controls area?  I remember the Descent series (an FPS-based series where you fly a ship/fighter that can go in any direction at almost the same speed [except if you use afterburners] blasting robots to pieces in mines or in other places...) was easy to handle... Was it not the case with most people?

In the end, as I wander around wondering why people dislike Legacy, I guess thus far is that people dislike it because they might want to find a reason to dislike it, so they sell it and play Halo 2 or some other game again, and the safe bets these days are RPGs and FPSs.l  Again, I'm open to the possibility that maybe people do find legitimate grievances that people here or there have, but maybe for some, if not most, is that they might just want to stick to safe bets in gaming.  What's better than taking your time to see what special move or potion to use?  What's better than locking, loading, and fragging?

*sigh* (Aside from SFC, of course.  Otherwise, why are we all here?  Other than friends and familiar faces and such, of course...)

I really enjoyed BC straight out of the box, though i do remember the early mods and how hard they were to put in, same with SFC.
I guuess with the game not been released here yet, and seeing all the bad press it's had, i'm not sure if I want to take the risk and part with money for the game. From all accounts, many of the features promised are not included, but the files for those features are in the game directory, but they haven't been activated. It's very difficult to judge at the moment, because so many people are 'emotional' to say the least.

I really want to give the game a go because I know that a fair few of the modders here and for BC are already working on Legacy, and that encourages me, I know the kind of things they can achieve, and the quality of it.... but it's still a fair bit of money to spend.
I just find it odd that no demo was released.... makes me suspicious.  ;D
God said to the Welsh: 'I am going to give you this glorious land of lakes and mountains.' So where's the catch, asked the Welsh? 'Wait until you see the neighbours,' replied God.