Topic: Wal Mart is selling new DS SFC game  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Sssjim

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Andromedan Termination League
Wal Mart is selling new DS SFC game
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:31 am »
I was in Wal Mart yesterday and saw the new Nintendo SFC game for the Nintendo DS (I think it is called Tactical Assault???).  I haven't played it, but I hear it uses the SFC code and is supposed to be close to the same game.

Anyone know anything more about it?  I don't own a DS, but I may have to get one soon.

Jim

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: Wal Mart is selling new DS SFC game
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 05:17:48 pm »
I was in Wal Mart yesterday and saw the new Nintendo SFC game for the Nintendo DS (I think it is called Tactical Assault???).

Yes on Tactical assault....no on SFC....the only commonality is appearance and quicksilver as the Dev..

I haven't played it, but I hear it uses the SFC code and is supposed to be close to the same game.

No on the SFC code....

Anyone know anything more about it?  I don't own a DS, but I may have to get one soon.

Jim

You can find out more here:

http://startrek.bethsoft.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:01:53 pm »
Does it play like an arcade game or any way at all like any SFC version?   :-[ (Way embarassed: my little one has a DS; I'm not sure if my eyes can resolve what's on that tiny square they call a display or if my digits can even feel those tiny blotches they call controls... )
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:58:37 pm by E_Look NCC-9091 »

Offline Magnum357

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 05:06:49 pm »
I kinda agree with you.  I don't have a DS, and was not really planning to get one either.  I'm not much of a Console game fan (Playstation One portable is about all I got), but if this game is anything like SFC I might think about picking up a copy for collector purposes.
"I sure am glad I like SFB!" - Magnum357 (me)

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:21:14 am »
With all the talk of Legacy going on, I figured someone would have something to say about Tactical Assault.  I saw it at an EB games in vegas last week, and was shocked.  I hadn't even seen anything announcing it's release yet.  It would be nice to know how it plays, though.

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:49:11 pm »
With all the talk of Legacy going on, I figured someone would have something to say about Tactical Assault.  I saw it at an EB games in vegas last week, and was shocked.  I hadn't even seen anything announcing it's release yet.  It would be nice to know how it plays, though.

Its been ongoing for a while

Offline Chris Jones

• MOD PRODUCER
  • Lt.
  • Galaxy Class - as seen in DS9
    • Chris Jones Gaming
Tactical Assault
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:17:42 am »
it plays well - we have a PSP and Tactical Assault - smooth gameplay set in the TMP era - my son plays it more than I do. (More of a PC guy). He's unlocked the Gorn.

I was impressed by one thing in particular. The photon torpedo audio is damn near canon. The photon audio on all of the SFC games and Bridge Commander was some cheesy torpedo audio that always annoyed me. TA got it right - KUDOS!

..Because the game does not have to, and will not, remain the same..

Celebrating Life!
Favorite TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:59:41 pm »
TA is damn good, to bad i can't find anybody in like a 100 mile radius tha ti know plays it so i can mp w/ it a bit ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 03:04:39 am »
Does it play like an arcade game or any way at all like any SFC version? :-[ (Way embarassed: my little one has a DS; I'm not sure if my eyes can resolve what's on that tiny square they call a display or if my digits can even feel those tiny blotches they call controls... )

I played it, and beat it.  Unlocked all the ships.  It plays like an Arcade game in many ways...and similarities to SFC, though there, are like SFC Super Ultra Light with a coat of air underneath to make it lighter.  It has a six shield configuration like SFC, it also has weapon hardpoints like SFC, but you can't repair them when the get destroyed.  It has different types of phasers sort of like SFC, but you aren't really told that they are of differing strengths or what they are.  It has very VERY slight energy management, in which you use extra energy/emergency power to do things such as cloak, increase weapon damage (aka overload photons/phasers), regenerate shields, and commit to HET's.  The symbology is very similar to SFC as well.  However, controls are by the gamepad/crosshair thingy on the handhelds.  Hence, though with SFC elements, which you should be very familiar with, it also has Bridge Commander/Legacy elements due to real time control and how you control the ships.

Missions can get annoying as hell (I repeated one over a dozen times trying to beat it, and some others took mulitple attempts) with no in mission save, but ARE very star trekky like, and very enjoyable...if you like being Federation or Klingon (actually you HAVE to play and beat the Federation campaign before it lets you play the Klingon one).

Overall, I really enjoyed it...if you like SFC...you might like it for memories it brings up...and elements of SFC it has in it...but not really because it's like SFC.  Hard to explain...unless one's actually played it though.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:55:11 am »
Dash pretty much cued everything in this package.  The only thing I'd add about something kind of annoying is the major blind spots and the bumper car effect it has when you are near large objects and accidentally 'bump' into them.