Topic: STOP - Don't buy Star Trek Legacy! Oh, yeah my copy is for sale LOL  (Read 6922 times)

Offline GermzSlap

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: STOP - Don't buy Star Trek Legacy! Oh, yeah my copy is for sale LOL
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 12:18:28 pm »
The screen resolution seems to help , but it still does not work. I think the patches didn't install correctly. I installed them in the right order, but I got an error message when I did so. It said a file was not found and the installation was aborted. I tried this several times, but they did the same thing each time. I don't know if the patch is corrupt or if there is another patch I need to install prior to 1.02

This turning out to be more complicated than i thought. One thing i noticed after reinstalling my copy of dominion wars ilast night is that my version is 1.04 after install. I tried playing the game and it worked fine. but i tried to install the 1.05 patch i got the same error message you did. i got the patch from another website same problem, so theres nothing wrong with the patch. i need to know what is your version of the game after install, if its 1.01 then get the patch from the official game website, here's the link:

http://www.simonsays.com/dominionwars_site/Frameset.htm

theres 2 patches there 1.01 to 1.03 and 1.02 to 1.03. If your version is already 1,04 like mine, i recoment that you dont install patch 1.05 at all. Instead try the XP solution i found on the web:

1. go to the Dominion Wars shortcut.
2. right click on the icon.
3. select properties.
4. select the "compatibility" tab.
5. in the "compatibility mode" box make sure the box is checked and choose Windows 98/ME.
6. hit OK.

I told you you not to install patch 1.05 at all because i found some suggestions by other dw gamers not to do that. Try this see how it goes.

You can also try contacting customer support, i dont know if the manufacturwer still provides it, but you can try.

EDIT: i forgot to mention to try the XP solution after installing the official patches if you install them
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:41:45 pm by GermzSlap »

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 06:19:03 pm »
Is there a way to check the version without launching the game (which crashes)

My problem may be that I was patching a version that didn't need a patch.

Offline GermzSlap

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 09:24:44 pm »
Yep, that exactly what i'm saying. If your version is already 1.04 you probably dont need the 1.05 patch, i talked about this in the previous post. I think the best bet for now is to try the xp solution, reinstall the game as Andromeda suggested, and try the xp solution. If that helps then you'll be ablwe to find out what version you have and go from there. So try this for now and i'll do some more serarching on the web to see if i can find something that deals with dominion wars xp interaction.

EDIT: P.S. By the way, i dont know of a way to check the game version without launching it. And another thing, could you tell me what kind of a video card you are using.

Offline IndyShark

• Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 09:31:53 pm »
Thanks guys, I just reinstalled it and it works fine if I adjust the screen resolution. It is a pretty fun game, and much better than Legacy, IMHO. I wonder if we can patch Legacy so the controls mirror DS9

Offline GermzSlap

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 09:33:36 pm »
Great! Ejoy!

Offline Captain Spadaro

• should know better by now
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 03:50:38 pm »
What, exactly, is wrong with the controls for Legacy?  I'd like to see for myself, but my PC needs a RAM upgrade and a new graphics card.
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 04:24:54 pm »
As I said in another thread I would not be worth my interest in buying it.

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline IndyShark

• Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 10:09:59 am »
To control; the ships in Legacy you use the W,A,S, and D keys for left, right, up and down.  I don't remember a game using that functionality in years or decades. A mouse or joystick would have been better. Also, trying to order ships to move on the map was very difficult. The target button would move around and it would take 4 or 5 attempts to get the target where you wanted it.

I sold my copy on eBay........

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 01:05:17 am »
To control; the ships in Legacy you use the W,A,S, and D keys for left, right, up and down.  I don't remember a game using that functionality in years or decades.

Should be easier for someone like me; I use remotely similar controls like that for Klingon Academy, and similar controls for First Person Shooters, especially the Descent series (in fact, I got through celebrating the New Year by playing Descent³ shortly before and a while after the clock stroke Midnight EST while also listening to some music).

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 10:29:41 am »
If it really bugs you spend $50 for a gaming keyboard and you can remap the keys, whether or not the games do .
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Star Dragon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 02:07:46 am »
They can have my KA when they pry it from my cold dead hard drive. :)

Yes the community is still alive and well and I urge anyone who hasn't tried it yet and feels unfulfilled with legacy to check it out.

While it's faily enclosed for what's available, they did try to give it a face lift by replacing stock models/effects. (not to the level of Freespace though).

Activision should have paid attention to KA when they designed BC. In many ways KA is superior in game play but BC trumps KA by a more modern engine and graphics. Now if only both games could have their source released maybe the mod communities could really improve them!!!

Link for KA info: http://klingonacademy.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/forum.php

I am wishing the STL modders luck though... The PC version truly is in their hands now.

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 10:43:16 am »
I got a copy for X-mas.  I must say, having a game pad (Nostromo N52) helps out alot and playing a bunch of FPS games also aids in the cause.  'm just getting really pissed off on the crashing (Blue screen) in campaign mode but, I haven't had a problem with the skirmish modes. 
Anyways, how bout dem bumper starships?  :P

I'm still sticking with this for a bit and seeing what we can mod.  It's cool to see Moonraker taking up the cause for textures so far.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 10:15:42 pm »
I have been waiting for this game for a long time and I have to admit I am very, very disappointed. The graphics are good, but the controls are terrible and the game just isn't any fun. I played the first two missions and I don't think I'll play any of the remaining ones. This game might be OK if they patched it, but it's already been patched.

Save your money. This game isn't worth it. I wonder how I can get rid of mine. Perhaps eBay.......
It's a pretty messed up game quality-wise, but I found that buying a 20 buck XBox 360 controller solved all my control issues.  Supposedly a patch is forthcoming.  If you have some sort of gamepad you may want to try it.  I also found that the game largely worked with a joystick.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 09:53:44 am »
I have been waiting for this game for a long time and I have to admit I am very, very disappointed. The graphics are good, but the controls are terrible and the game just isn't any fun. I played the first two missions and I don't think I'll play any of the remaining ones. This game might be OK if they patched it, but it's already been patched.

Save your money. This game isn't worth it. I wonder how I can get rid of mine. Perhaps eBay.......
It's a pretty messed up game quality-wise, but I found that buying a 20 buck XBox 360 controller solved all my control issues.  Supposedly a patch is forthcoming.  If you have some sort of gamepad you may want to try it.  I also found that the game largely worked with a joystick.

Hey Lepton, what all is involved, in using the Xbox controller on a pc?
I got a copy for X-mas.  I must say, having a game pad (Nostromo N52) helps out alot and playing a bunch of FPS games also aids in the cause.  'm just getting really pissed off on the crashing (Blue screen) in campaign mode but, I haven't had a problem with the skirmish modes. 
Anyways, how bout dem bumper starships?  :P

I'm still sticking with this for a bit and seeing what we can mod.  It's cool to see Moonraker taking up the cause for textures so far.

I have that N52 and it works wonders, not only for FPS's, but if you do alot of emulation the little thumb pad, works wonders. I've even set up a profile for NWN2 for all of the menues, etc. great device, that everyone should have.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:43 pm »

Hey Lepton, what all is involved, in using the Xbox controller on a pc?
Very little if you are talking about an xbox 360 controller.  There is a special driver you need to download from Microsoft that is easily googled.  Beyond that, to work with Legacy, make sure that you don't have any other USB game controllers plugged in and you should be good to go.  I picked up one from GameStop for around 20 bucks and it works great.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 06:01:52 pm »
Thanks man, that's what I needed to know. My nephew has an extra Controller, I just haven't borrowed it yet. I wonder how well the controller will work on other games.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 07:44:56 pm »
Hmm,

Supposedly Legacy doesn't support those.  I think I'll give it a try on the hope that it does make the jumpy mouse thing better.  It's a bug that Bethesda can duplicate but can't figure out why it's happening and how to get rid of it.  In addition to the patch they also suggest the intro file in the animations directory by renaming it _intro.  It helps some, but not much. 

I've played it through most of the missions despite the jumpy controls.  It's tough.  I just pretend 'fog of war' got involved and don't worry too much.  Hopefully a 1.3 patch will fix things.  I do like the storyline of the game very much though.  I got it used, so I didn't pay too much.  IMO it's worth looking at.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 12:07:41 pm »
Hmm,

Supposedly Legacy doesn't support those. I think I'll give it a try on the hope that it does make the jumpy mouse thing better. It's a bug that Bethesda can duplicate but can't figure out why it's happening and how to get rid of it. In addition to the patch they also suggest the intro file in the animations directory by renaming it _intro. It helps some, but not much.

I've played it through most of the missions despite the jumpy controls. It's tough. I just pretend 'fog of war' got involved and don't worry too much. Hopefully a 1.3 patch will fix things. I do like the storyline of the game very much though. I got it used, so I didn't pay too much. IMO it's worth looking at.

The jumpy mouse is most likely due to your anti-aliasing controls in the options menu (if that's all you have, actually have a really high standard computer.).  I'd cut it down to one instead of the default of 4, just for starters.  The jumpy mouse is rather common since the default anti-aliasing is set to 4x.  It might work on higher, but try one just for starters. As an aside, you DO have two gig of RAM right and at least 10 GIG of FREE unfilled hard drive space (this is NOT inclusive of the space the game takes up, that's space to have free when actually running the game? some of the other most common problems I've seen from people complaining about bugs (Ignore the min requirements, they're a little off).

If the anti-aliasing trick doesn't work or you've already tried it, check to make sure you have an appropriately good enough sound card.  It seems some people update their video cards, but forget about the sound portion of it.  Old drivers, or cards not up to the modern quality of sound cards do seem to occasionally crop up bugs in this as well, but I haven't figure out why yet.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.