Topic: 2 New Games  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
2 New Games
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:18:14 am »
I picked up 2 yesterday because they were on sale, and looked interesting.  The first one was  NFL Head Coach.  Instead of focusing on the game play (like Madden) you have to build a team, get along with the owners, hire and fire coaches and coordinators (and keep their trust), as well as set offensive and defensive strategies, design plays, run the team through practices, then play the games. 

You have meetings with the staff, interview, hire / fire coaches (except the da*ned scouts, who report to the owner, and mine suck) and draft players.

The owner (you can change teams and you actually have a career) will tell you when he hires you what he wants. For instance, my first job was with the Chiefs.  The owner wants the Passing game in the top 8, the defense in the top 8, and wants to win 8 Games.  I turned down an offer from the Vikings because they wanted their Conference championship the first year.

It's more about being the coach than playing the football game.

The other game was Emergency 3.  You are the EMS coordinator for a city and it's open ended play.  You control all the police, fire and medical, and basically it's like Sim City, only you're the guy that manages all the disasters.  Haven't played it a lot yet, but it seems interesting.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
Re: 2 New Games
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 12:00:49 am »
I really have not bought any new games just yet.

Waiting for Medival:TWII to come out. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:38:08 am »
I am really liking EA Sports:  NFL Head Coach.

Basically, you have a set number of tasks you can perform each week (It starts in Feb and you go through the coach & player re-sign period, Free agency period, the Draft, summer camp, and the pre-season before the first game).  You also have to design your playbook, but your offensive & defensive coordinators will suggest tweaks each week in the game planning session.So you have to make choices. 

For instance, Running Offense vs. Defense practice (full contact is a larger increase but non-contact reduces risk of an injury) and you will execute the plays you practice better (both the offense and the defense).  Practice a play enough and it becomes a "Money Play".

Or, you can train individual players, such as Offensive Line vs. Defensive line, Backs vs. linebackers, or the QB and the Receivers.  This kind of practice increases a player's potential.  Players are rated on a scale.  For instance, my Receiver may have an overall rating (there are sub-ratings such as speed, hands, etc) of 62-79.  Individual practice may raise that to a scale of 70-90, but he may only be operating at 83.  In order to push his performance to the top of his limit, you must practice the plays, so the game really simulates a lack of time and make you plan.  Do you increase a player's potential, or do you ensure he's performing at the top of hi current potential for the Sunday game?  You coaches will prefer a guy who is playing at 79 on a 50-80 scale over a guy who is playing at 85 on a 79-99 scale.  Apparently if he is not at the top of his game he'll make mistakes, even if his current number is higher than the guy with lower potential, but who is giving a max performance.  It's some very intricate math.

In addition, you have to spend time with player's agents, your coaching staff (who will make suggestions and will lose trust in you if you don't accept their opinion, or if you ream them after their section performs poorly in a game).  You also have to set aside time to scout players (you can scout the current teams, free agent pool, waivers roster, or next year's draft candidates.  If you want to make a trade, or accept a proposed trade, you have to set aside time to do so (at the expense of a practice session).

On game day you choose the offensive or defensive plays to run (or your coaches will do it if you are busy talking to players).  You can give strategies to individual players (such as telling the backs to bounce to the outside for the next play, the next series, or the rest of the game), or you can make audible play changes from the line.  The plays run and you don't control the movement of the ball (good for an old-guy like me who doesn't want to play nintendo).

So far the game is a hoot.  I'm the HC for the Detroit Lions and I have the toughest defense in the NFL.  It outscores my offense 3:2 in points.  I've won 3 of 3 regular season games (Oakland, Seattle, and Pittsburg) and Won 2 and tied 1 pre-season.  The end-goal of the game is to be inducted into the Hall of Fame ahead of Landry.  Some of the games I've played have been more exciting to watch than the real NFL games.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:48:35 am by Dracho »
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:27:24 am »
The other game was Emergency 3.  You are the EMS coordinator for a city and it's open ended play.  You control all the police, fire and medical, and basically it's like Sim City, only you're the guy that manages all the disasters.  Haven't played it a lot yet, but it seems interesting.

How's that one play?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:25:34 pm »
I need to try it, LOL.. I've been so hooked on NFL Head Coach that I haven't played anything else (and I've had very limited time to play anything, actually).

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:25:54 am »

How's that one play?

It's.. different.. I'm playing the campaign game now and the missions get progressively harder.. and you have to do a lot of clicking to excel at it.

For instance, in the first mission there is a car wreck at a construction site.  You call in an ambulance and a fire truck, use the jaws of life, get the guy out and haul the car off.

A few later was a drag race gone bad, where one of the cars plows a crowd, hits a building and explodes.  There are a bunch of casualties and a fire that will spread fast on you.  You MUST call in 4 trucks and place them on each side of the building and you have to do it fast.  Then, call in the ambulance crews to deal with the casualties, then in the middle, one of the drivers shows back up and he's armed, so you need cops with guns (must be a European game because there are police, then there are police with weapons).

On the scenario I'm on now there is a major pile-up on a freeway.  You have to control traffic, find a car in a river, and treat about 20 casualties.  Just as everything is going well, I didn't notice the bystanders on the opposite side of the road and one gets clipped by a car.  I got mad and put it up for the evening at that point, and went back to game 4 as the Packers Head Coach (and of course Favre is out with an injury, but New Orleans still had a looooooong night).

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 01:19:22 pm »
(and of course Favre is out with an injury, )

WTF!!!!  Every game I have ever seen has a special "mythical" number applied to Favre's "toughness" rating so that he pretty much never misses a week.  I mean come on,  In Madden 04 or 05 I even took Packers for a season with the sole intent to hurt Favre... I did designed bootlegs or qb sneaks on every play.  He left the game a few times but was always back in a quarter or two...  Always ready to start every week.

I got tired of it before I got a season ending injury (by the way it is amazing how many games I actually won that way).

GE-Raven.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 02:50:51 pm »
I had to put him on the IR.  He pulled a hamstring on a PA pass play.