Topic: Free Games List  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Free Games List
« on: September 09, 2006, 08:22:36 am »
The Engineering subforum has a thread for Free and Legal software.  I've been updating the list and thought that  a link to the games sublist might be of use to some here who don't ever read the Engineering subforum.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
Re: Free Games List
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:43:57 am »
Thanks for the list...I tried to d/l the Super Star Trek, but the link on THEIR page (not your link to their page) does not work.  :(
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:19:32 pm »
Thanks for the list...I tried to d/l the Super Star Trek, but the link on THEIR page (not your link to their page) does not work.  :(

Ill need to amend the list obviously, I missed that one.  I can put them online myself later on and make a new link to my copy.  Thanks for letting me know the link was broken.  I appreciate being informed of any errors or non functioning links.  If you (or anyone else) finds such an error or broken link please tell me.

Which version do you want?  DOS?  Windows console?  Linux?  Generic source code?  All of the above?  Luckily they are all sitting on my HD right now.  I can zip them up and E-Mail them to you whenever you like.

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:19:10 pm »
Thanks Nem, I too wanted the Super Star Trek one. I want the windows console one, please.

I believe it is an offshoot of the Atari 2600 game?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:24:37 pm »
Thanks Nem, I too wanted the Super Star Trek one. I want the windows console one, please.

I believe it is an offshoot of the Atari 2600 game?

I am not familiar with that one.  Super Star Trek is an text based game that goes back to mainframes in the 1970s.  The ship is on a grid and everything is represented by ASCII characters.  Your job is to move around the map and kill a specified number of Klingon vessels before time runs out.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:47:08 pm »
I just sent the Windows console version to each of you by way of my Yahoo account.  Let me know if there are any problems.

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:36:32 pm »
I got it and extracted all files, I just can't get the thing to run.  >:(

BTW, it is a souped up version of Stellar Track. Although in the late 80's for P/C there was a better version than the Atari version, the ships could cloak every now and then and move while cloaked.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:47:27 pm »
I got it and extracted all files, I just can't get the thing to run.  >:(

BTW, it is a souped up version of Stellar Track. Although in the late 80's for P/C there was a better version than the Atari version, the ships could cloak every now and then and move while cloaked.

It did run for my on my Windows 2000.  If your using XP you may need to set it for a compatibility mode (I'm not an XP user so I can't help you much there.)

There is a VGA Trek as well, that may be closer to what your thinking of.

Offline Jack Morris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 09:12:32 am »
Thanks again Nem, I'll check it out.  :)

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:40:36 am »
I just have to try to figure out the movement pattern (thanks Nemesis!). 
He who can master the data controls the world.