Topic: Leonard Nimoy hints at possible return in Star Trek XI  (Read 9085 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Leonard Nimoy hints at possible return in Star Trek XI
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:28:54 am »
From Trek Web

Well getting him out of Trek retirement's certainly a surprise.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Leonard Nimoy hints at possible return in Star Trek XI
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 04:14:06 pm »
When I first read you thread, I thought wow, Maybe some closure to the Reunification story (although the Novels rock), but after reading that, Well It would be good news indeed.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »
Well, if they have him AND Shatner in it, and it's done as a flashback, I will DEFINATELY want to go see this one.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:16:19 pm »
If they do it as a flashback, I wonder how they're gonna handle the fact that Kirk will look a decade older than he did on Veridian 3, unless they make up some short story of his rise from the dead, or Spock dies and they're in the afterlife.

Either way, this is definately good news. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:56:58 am »
Or, Shatner plays a Romulan clone who's been rotting away on Remus!  Yeah, that would be awesome!  And the clone takes over the whole romulan Empire, and is bent on the destruction of Kirk, except Kirk is dead, so he doesn't know what to do anymore, so decides he must first become Kirk by siezing the Enterprise from a Federation space museum, and then killing himself.  Wow, that would be incredible. ;)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:13:49 am »
Or, Shatner plays a Romulan clone who's been rotting away on Remus!  Yeah, that would be awesome!  And the clone takes over the whole romulan Empire, and is bent on the destruction of Kirk, except Kirk is dead, so he doesn't know what to do anymore, so decides he must first become Kirk by siezing the Enterprise from a Federation space museum, and then killing himself.  Wow, that would be incredible. ;)

Actually, the real Kirk was a prisoner and their clone was killed before it could accomplish its goals.. or maybe its goal was the destruction of the Enterprise C.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:41:45 am »
Well, if they have him AND Shatner in it, and it's done as a flashback, I will DEFINATELY want to go see this one.

Shatner (Capt. Kirk) is DEAD !!!
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:48:47 pm »

Shatner (Capt. Kirk) is DEAD !!!

Which is why Spock invents the Holodeck,
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 10:12:05 pm »
Now, wait.  Didn't Picard use the Vulcan nerver pinch?  If so (which is incredibly lame) then all Kirk had to have done before he died was grab hold of that bald scalp of Picard's and say "Remember...".  Maybe it happened. ;)

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 10:59:47 pm »
Humans can't mind meld :p

But I do wonder how they're going to set up a flashback when Shatner got quite a bit bigger since Generations and Nimoy has pretty much stayed the same.  It's going to be a problem figuring out how long before the Enterprise-B they're going to do this.

Maybe they'll do a CGI Kirk and have Shatner just do the voice?
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 12:44:18 am »
Maybe they'll do a CGI Kirk and have Shatner just do the voice?

If that's the case, they should just CGI the entire movie and have them both voice their characters. ;)

If they do that
Now, wait.  Didn't Picard use the Vulcan nerver pinch?  If so (which is incredibly lame) then all Kirk had to have done before he died was grab hold of that bald scalp of Picard's and say "Remember...".  Maybe it happened. ;)

DATA used the nerve pinch. He did it on Sela in Unification pt.II afterwatching Spock preform it once. Picard never did it, IIRC; MacCoy attempted it in STIII, but couldn't get it right.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 01:48:08 am »
Not sure, but I think the reason that Data was able to do the nerve pinch was because of his bodily strength.  I believe there's a certain amount of pressure you have to apply for the pinch to be successful, that's why to date only Vulcans have done it, with the exception of Capt. Archer.

I still think they should do an afterlife theme, both Kirk and Spock are now dead, and reliving either how they met, or a mission from their first 5-year mission that just comes back to them.  *shrugs*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 09:02:12 am »
Ah, it was Data.  But wait... Archer did it?  See, it should be a vulcan only thing, imo.  Otherwise you take away it's uniqueness.  Sure it might seem cool "Oh, awesome.  The captain just did the nerve pinch!" for the fanboys but it diminishes it, in my opinion.  If a human can do the nerve pinch, then why not let them mind meld too?  Didn't TMP show that some humans have telepathic abilities?  I always figured the nerve pinch was tied to a vulcans hands.  That there was some kind of electric impulse they could channel through their nerve endings to assist in disabling the target.  A similar system of broadcast and reception would be used for the mind meld, given that they all use their hands to perform it.  Sure, I know, it's a visual thing for the camera, but that would explain it.  Humans not having these particular receptors (at least in their hands) would be biologically unable to perform in the same manner.  I always figured that was why McCoy wasn't able to do the pinch when he had Spock in his brain  (Hey, wait a minute. Spock.. brain...  Aren't you glad they didn't just go to Genesis and pick up spocks body and use a remote control to make him walk back to McCoy? ;)).

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:06:26 am »
Not sure, but I think the reason that Data was able to do the nerve pinch was because of his bodily strength. I believe there's a certain amount of pressure you have to apply for the pinch to be successful, that's why to date only Vulcans have done it, with the exception of Capt. Archer.

I still think they should do an afterlife theme, both Kirk and Spock are now dead, and reliving either how they met, or a mission from their first 5-year mission that just comes back to them. *shrugs*

Hmm, humorous thought.  In that event maybe Data didn't really do it...but crushed they guy's collarbone and the guy fainted from pain instead.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:11 pm »
Hmm, humorous thought.  In that event maybe Data didn't really do it...but crushed they guy's collarbone and the guy fainted from pain instead.

Nah, Data did it. First off, he did it because the script says so. ;)

Second, Spock recognizes not only the apperance of the fact, but the EFFECTS of the properly administered pinch.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 01:10:19 pm »
Data is very observant and would have known, by observation, where the precise nerves would have been in order to perform the nerve pinch.  And the reason why Archer was able to do the nerve pinch was because he was suffering from the mind meld that Syran (SP?) had performed on him before he died, to insert Surak's katra into Archer, so Archer was reacting to Surak's knowledge, and probably that knowledge is what allowed Archer to effectively use the nerve pinch.  But this is all just argumentative.

I know in real life, if a person has enough knowledge about the nerve points of the body, such as an acupuncturist, they could effectively perform a nerve pinch, but mainly to paralyze someone for the duration that contact was maintained, because enough pressure would need to be applied in order for the victim to pass out.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 01:40:49 pm »
Anyone ever wonder where Vulcans obtained anatomical detail on humans that was that precise?  And where they practiced their little... grip in order to perfect it?

Pacifists my arse.  We've been had!
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 09:20:06 pm »
Anyone ever wonder where Vulcans obtained anatomical detail on humans that was that precise?

The Grays sold it to them. ;)

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 11:23:13 pm »
Notice it doesn't just work on Humans.  Pinch any old species on the neck in that spot, and apparently it works. :(

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 09:43:34 am »
I think Vulcans have some sort of Borg implant in their fingers that allows them to do that.. er.. hey.. wait.. what if Vulcans are really Romulan biologically correct Androids, and the whole thing is a sham...No species could be THAT logical..